new to boat fishing

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
ok I'm new to boat fishing not to boating and I'm a truck driver by trade so I know how to back a trailer not to mention a farm kid its the fishing side I can use advice on
The best advice is to enjoy and have fun on the water. As for how to fish ,that book would be bigger than War and Peace. You will figure it out. Take someone with that knows and remember how and what.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
ok I'm new to boat fishing not to boating and I'm a truck driver by trade so I know how to back a trailer not to mention a farm kid its the fishing side I can use advice on

Well that being the case. BOAT CONTROL will make or break your day on the water. Once you are one the water, throw a bouy out and try to keep your boat next to it without getting into it using whatever motors you have. Waves, wind, and current will show you real fast what to do or not to do. Then throw out two bouys a couple hundred yards apart and try to troll and or drift a straight line between them. Again, waves, wind, and current will show you your errors real fast. Then I would pick a day that puts some pretty good waves on the water and go practice tacking, quartering waves, running, surfing waves, and loading and unloading in waves. After that, a good lake map/chip will show you your shallow hazards for the most part at which point I would try to determine and then run a specified route of your choosing. All of this will take time so don't get frustrated. However, sacrificing a couple days of fishing to become proficient in boat control will pay huge dividends in comfort, quality, and satisfaction with your time on the water. Then go find some fish. Good Luck and Have Fun!!!

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find structure (rock piles, old sunken roads, buried trees, etc..) pitch weedlines with jigs/cranks, troll weedlines with bottom bouncers & spinners w/ crawlers/leeches, pitch into or troll past windblown shore lined, bridges are good to jig early and late in the day and year, bobbers w/ leech in trees..
Fun thing about trolling is often times you'll keep catching fish at a certain spot (structure), anchor there and throw the bobbers out.

Stobber

As previously stated, work on your launching/trailering techniques. Boat control is huge. After that, be patient and just fish. You will develop your style and what you will gain confidence in.

I was fishing on Sunday and everyone was drifting, I hate drifting. I like to spot lock and pick apart structure. EVERY SINGLE BOAT thought I was the devil and insisted on drifting withing 30 feet of me, not kidding, right where I was casting. I am sure I was anchored in their drift line, but guess what, they were drifting through my zone just as much. Don't be a dick, you don't own a spot or the lake, just becuase you think someone is wrong, that same person thinks your are wrong. Out of the 20 people I waved at, maybe 5 returned the wave, I just don't get it.

Don't let these things bother you, keep a smile on your face and do your thing. Fisherman are very bullheaded, they think they have the best information and that everyone else wants it, and they put up their guard and always act like a hard-ass.

Anyways, got off on a tangent.

I am in Williston and go out quite a bit, you ever want to tag along, just let me know, I can show you a few things, but I am no expert, I am learning so much every time I go out.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76