VanHook Classic 2019

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What’s interesting is every year the winning weight has gotten bigger

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The scale they use is lighter than the AIM scale for reference.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many fish are weighed each day?

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
so these “weights” are taken based off how long a fish is correct? Isn’t that quite “subjective”? I mean how consistent is someone measuring a mass quantity of fish? Especially when, wasn’t there 6 weigh in stations around? An 1/8 or even 1/16 of an inch is a big deal when the top 2 weights were within .05. The very tip of a walleyes tale is quite translucent when you’re talking 16ths and 8ths of an inch to determine weights. Long story short, wtf weigh the f’ers and tare the scales how hard is it?!?!!

and just go get this straight I guarantee I’ve fished more walleye tournaments than 95% of people on this site and they have ALL been catch and release and ALL have went by weight, including the one I was in today....so someone please enlighten me

Last edited:

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
so these “weights” are taken based off how long a fish is correct? Isn’t that quite “subjective”? I mean how consistent is someone measuring a mass quantity of fish? Especially when, wasn’t there 6 weigh in stations around? An 1/8 or even 1/16 of an inch is a big deal when the top 2 weights were within .05. The very tip of a walleyes tale is quite translucent when you’re talking 16ths and 8ths of an inch to determine weights. Long story short, wtf weigh the f’ers and tare the scales how hard is it?!?!!

and just go get this straight I guarantee I’ve fished more walleye tournaments than 95% of people on this site and they have ALL been catch and release and ALL have went by weight, including the one I was in today....so someone please enlighten me

Does GNF allow tournaments to weigh fish and release them?

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does GNF allow tournaments to weigh fish and release them?

What the hell is the difference cause “technically” according to them once it hits the livewell it can’t be released right?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i can say that 64 lbs is not out of the question up there period.

my in laws have a cabin up there im there dam near every wknd. i dont fish the tourney but im out and about. i put in at 8 on friday was back at the ramp to get my wife before 10 my first 5 fish hit the well and are as follows
23.75, 21.5, 20, 20 19.75

literally no prefishing no upgrading 2 hours average at best fisherman.

- - - Updated - - -

the smelt being puke out can fill 1/2 a livewell. there eating good.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't think there's any question a bag like that can't be produced, more of a question of determining the winner by a length measurement instead of just weighing the fish. Especially when the top places are so close. To be honest, I'd think it would be quicker to weigh three fish in a tub and turn them loose instead of trying to measure a length. Less handling time on the fish also. The problem becomes having more than 1 scale which as this tournament is currently formatted would be needed.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think there's any question a bag like that can't be produced, more of a question of determining the winner by a length measurement instead of just weighing the fish. Especially when the top places are so close. To be honest, I'd think it would be quicker to weigh three fish in a tub and turn them loose instead of trying to measure a length. Less handling time on the fish also. The problem becomes having more than 1 scale which as this tournament is currently formatted would be needed.

right was just putting it out there for the non believers or who think those conversions are off. I have no idea how accurate they are but the quality of fish being pumped out of the arm is nothing I have seen in the 13 years ive been a regular up there. and sadly it will go back down so enjoy it while we can

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member

Each fish is measured and it only matters in 1/4" increments. If the tail goes just over lets say 24 1/4" then they will tell you the fish is 24.5". It's very easy to be consistent. The fish goes from your livewell onto the bump board and then right into the water. It literally takes 10 seconds.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
The conversions are off.

I'm sure they are using an "average". But, the rules are the same for all.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Each fish is measured and it only matters in 1/4" increments. If the tail goes just over lets say 24 1/4" then they will tell you the fish is 24.5". It's very easy to be consistent. The fish goes from your livewell onto the bump board and then right into the water. It literally takes 10 seconds.

I would see how it would be very consistent for the same person measuring ALL the fish but multiple people are measuring these fish aren't they? Who's to say one person isn't pinching that tail more than another? Who's to say one person isn't pulling that pinched tail more than another? Im sure they have some type of "training" on this to stay consistent but when you're going through hundreds of fish, especially most at the same time, there's more room for error. Im assuming everyone is measuring their own fish and keeping a log to check them for accuracy at the weigh in

I remember fishing a tournament a few years ago when you could only have two fish over 20". This guy starts measuring mine and said "you have 4 fish over 20" here" I said the F' I do. I watched him measure them and when he pinched the tail he pulled on them a little so they just touched over 20. After arguing about how you're supposed to measure fish in only had two over 20. He didn't even realize he was doing it......just saying with that much money on the line....

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have multiple measure stations set up all over the arm. Your bitching saying that there could be discrepencies in the way people measure, saying it should be based off weight... When there's multiple stations weighing fish there's going to be just as many discrepencies... Then you'd bitch because 1 scale might be an ounce different than another... Don't like the way they do it then dont fish it. Plain and simple...

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have multiple measure stations set up all over the arm. Your bitching saying that there could be discrepencies in the way people measure, saying it should be based off weight... When there's multiple stations weighing fish there's going to be just as many discrepencies... Then you'd bitch because 1 scale might be an ounce different than another... Don't like the way they do it then dont fish it. Plain and simple...

maybe im the guy that got 2nd by .05 in weight from a measured fish ;:;popcorn

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79