Half tons & Campers

Skullet

Established Member
Anyone have any thoughts/concerns about pulling a medium size 5th wheel with half ton. I’ve never had a camper before and I’m in the market for one.
The wife will haul some kids and the boat in her SUV. I’m driving a 2019 Silverado, and I’m trying to decide between a travel trailer and a 5th wheel.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember buying my first pickup in 1993. The salesman assured me it would pull any camper I wanted. Was I ever gullible. Notice no question mark. My first camper was a used 24ft 1988 Mallard travel trailer. I could almost feel the transmissions pain.
One year later I purchased a new 26 ft 5th wheel that weighed 1000lb less. A year later an ultralight 23 ft 5th wheel. Then a 29.5 foot 5th wheel and a new diesel.
Today I have a 37 ft 5th wheel and another diesel.

5th wheels will pull better and handle better, but those half tons pull about half what they are rate for. If you already have a half ton and want to pull more than 5000lb at least add a towing package that includes a radiator for the transmission, and a temp gauge.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any thoughts/concerns about pulling a medium size 5th wheel with half ton. I’ve never had a camper before and I’m in the market for one.
The wife will haul some kids and the boat in her SUV. I’m driving a 2019 Silverado, and I’m trying to decide between a travel trailer and a 5th wheel.

What's "Medium Sized" to you?

How often will you pull it?

How far will you pull it?

How likely are you to pull @ 60-65 vs. 75+?

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Knew a guy that pulled 5th wheels all over the country Alaska Arizona anywhere in between. Just had f150s. Didn't pull the 70 though

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
they will pull just about anything. the big question is will they pull it safely. The difference between my 06' chevy 3/4 ton and my new 2018 3/4 ton is insane. When pulling the wife's big gooseneck horse trailer with the 06' you knew it was back there and you didn't forget. With the 2018 you can very easily forget it's back there. I'm just amazed at the difference.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not only does pickup size make a difference when pulling but also how the camper is balanced on the axles\hitch. I bought a 30 foot 2002 Keystone Sprinter fifth wheeler with 2 slides that was heavy on the hitch and it didn't pull the best, now have a 2010 Jayco Eagle 32 foot with 3 slides that has better balance on the axles so its lighter on the hitch it pulls a lot easier then the Sprinter did.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will a half ton pull your camper, more than likely yes. Will it pull it safely and be able to stop, more than likely no. Too many people are over loading the pull rig and pulling way too fast. If they ever blow a tire or need to stop quick, they will find out about being overloaded.
When they get into a wreck you can bet the other insurance companies attorneys will check your rig from head to toe for anything they can use against you.
The half tons have power nowadays but the rest of the pickup isn't up for heavy loads. Then add in pulling way too fast and you have an accident looking for a place to happen. Most tires on trailers are rated for 65 MPH not 70-80 MPH.
Good luck camper shopping but don't believe what the salesmen tells you, check it out for yourself.

Skullet

Established Member
Everyone seems to echo my own concerns. I've seen guys who appeared to be in way over their heads, and thought I may have been over cautious.
I told the wife last night that if/when we get something it isn't going down the road at 70 plus. We will be that slow caravan that pisses all the impatient people off.
Thanks for your thoughts.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
People who can't handle someone pulling a camper safely can straight eat my ass. The best way to avoid assholes is to pull the camper early in the morning or evening into night when the traffic isn't as high. Works great for me, but even when I didn't have that option most people have been understanding.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
How likely are you to pull @ 60-65 vs. 75+?[/QUOTE]

I have to say -- i only pulled mine a couple places and but on any of those little hills on highway two and 73mph - wind blowing out of the NW like it does --- not rpm gauge and the speed od were locked solid. Neither would move All that would move with the eco boost is the little gas economy thingy would go off the chart and the gas gauge was the only thing moving -- rest were locked. 6mph pulling a 31foot (overall 34 footer). The truck handled the wind with ease as far as sway -- i did use a nice hitch -- who ever set it up did a awesome job the truck sat just like it wasnt pulling anything --- it felt that way too.

Would i want to pull far distances -- nope --- over mountains -- maybe - but i dont know why they dont eco a small block v8

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
The salesman assured me it would pull any camper I wanted.

This^^^

Had this happen to me at a well known Camper store on the east end of Bismarck (just south of the truck-stop). This salesman filled me with so much B.S. on how my 1/2 ton would handle 10,000 lb trailer "with no problems" not too mention the shady price "negotiating" they tried pulling on me, nonetheless they lost a customer forever!...

But back to your question-

If you want to pull a 5th wheel SAFELY do it with a 3/4 Ton or bigger. They're geared and made for pulling -the suspensions are more equipped for it.. when determining how much your going to be pulling look at the loaded weight not dry weight, road conditions, wind conditions, etc. Peace of mind that your pulling something safely goes along ways for you and others your sharing the road with... 5th wheels pull 100 times better than any bumper trailer Ive owned.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its not just the pulling power or 1/2 vs 3/4 ton. Its all about stopping. I can pull a camper with a Vette. It has all kinds of power but try stop it. Same goes for pickups. I see so many Stock trailer going down the road fully loaded with cattle. If they had to stop in a hurry even with trailer brakes there hard to stop.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
i dont know why they dont eco a small block v8

Because they'd sell a lot fewer diesels.

Mid-May I towed my 38' 9500# bumper-hitch camper up to Devils. Had a gusty 20MPH+ headwind from Fargo to Forks, had to lock out 6th gear, 1st time that's ever happened to me with either diesel I've owned. 5th pulled it fine running ~2100-2200RPM @ 70MPH. Once I headed W out of Forks it was back into 6th and locked up.

I pulled from S of St. Cloud up to Devils that day ~300Mi. Buffeting quartering/cross-wind for all but 90Mi which was head-on into the wind. I was happy to have the heavy pickup pulling/anchoring the camper.

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone seems to echo my own concerns. I've seen guys who appeared to be in way over their heads, and thought I may have been over cautious.
I told the wife last night that if/when we get something it isn't going down the road at 70 plus. We will be that slow caravan that pisses all the impatient people off.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Be that slow guy, arrive one hour later, and laugh, while you pass the other guys fixing tires, broken down on the side of the road.

Ain't nothing going to ruin a camping weekend faster than never arriving at the camping spot.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had 96 GMC heavy 1/2 with tow package and progressive rate springs. Pulled 03 , 27' 5th wheel with 17'5" boat behind. Pulled it no problem . We never pulled more than approx. 100 miles.
5th wheel for sale soon in classifieds if any interest.
2003 Laredo with super slide. Always stored inside since new. Jmst.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pull a 27 foot nomad with my v8bdodge Dakota going 65 I have the special hitch with the load distribution system and anti sway bar. But I put a extra leaf spring in the rear,power break booster and a transmission cooler for a 3/4 ton dodge. The two hitch is a must for me keeps everything level from the back of the camper to the front bumper on my truck. If you get a transmission cooler and break booster (only if you are going through a lot of hilly terrain) you should have no problem.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_20190608-171031.jpg. Don't pull on a day like today

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102