Sakakawea State Park shore fishing

the_hog

Heading up to do some camping at Sakakawea State next weekend and was looking for some advice what to use/where to go on the lake there. I will be in search of Walleye but will be happy to catch any game fish.

I know the tail race is obviously a place to go and I plan on fishing there and know what to use. But was wondering what to use and where to go on the lake. Thanks in advance.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lindy rig on a dead stick with a floating jig and a minnow, cast jigs or swim baits with the other or just use 2 deadsticks and have a sandwich and a cold drink. Bring smelt and a steel leader if you want to catch pike. You'll do fine.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
What Brian said,,,Also dont over look catfish.. they can be had from shore, good eating and fun to catch..

dschaible

Established Member
I wouldn't get too jazzed up about tailrace walleye with the low release. As for the sakakawea side any wind blown shore/point should hold fish. I would start out more aggressively with jigs/plastics then slow it down with lindy/jig live bait. Supposed to be cool Saturday so they might be a slow finesse type day. East has been hit or miss and more miss so far this year for walleye, for me anyway.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on what the depth is don’t cast too far out. I’ve been catching my walleyes in 3-8 feet of water. Don’t overlook the shallows.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, the tailrace has sucked ass lately, gotta go down river

- - - Updated - - -

Lotsa big pike back in the bays at sak state park. Walk the shorelines and cast daredevils and swimbaits. I've done well there this year

the_hog

Thanks for all the info guys. Didnt do much fishing because of the weather/wind and had other things going on. But did manage to fish in Scoria Bay for a few hours on Saturday and caught a catfish and a drum.

amcic1998

Depending on what the depth is don’t cast too far out. I’ve been catching my walleyes in 3-8 feet of water. Don’t overlook the shallows.
I know the tail race is obviously a place to go and I plan on fishing there and know what to use. But was wondering what to use and where to go on the lake. Thanks in advance.​

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55