Trophy Hunting:. Killing or Conservation

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You looking for a pat on the back or a cookie?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trophy hunting is all hunting it’s all in the eye of the hunter.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m always a little more impressed by the fella that does it himself. One of the things I love about fishing is trying to figure out new water. Or exploring new land when I used to deer hunt. I have nothing against the people that hire guides and in some cases like hunting in Alaska or Canada I believe it’s required. But if I see a guy holding a ten pound walleye from a guided trip I give credit to the guide. Same with a guided hunt. Just me I guess.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
No Sum1 your not alone. When a guide has to not only find the animal, but also point it out they are not hunters, they are only shooters.

I noticed the lady from the human society say only 1 percent of money comes from hunters. She evidently placed no value on the 40 tons of meat that local villages receive, and perhaps was ignorant of the funding to protect endangered animals from poachers. Speaking of endangered, the type of giraffe the lady shot was not endangered as the detractors dishonestly insinuated.

As far as trophy hunting here in the United States I remember a little argument I had with a fellow wildlife professional. She looked down on me because I hunted bucks. She said she hunted does only because she was a meat hunter. I told her that on average I got more meat from my bucks than she got from does. She said she liked nice fat dry does. I told her I didn't like venison fat.

I think the system Africa has works for them. The North American model is superior, but I have reservations recommending that for Africa. Poaching is already wildlife biggest threat in Africa and I think it would get worse trying to use our management plan.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There are all kinds of guided hunts. I've been on a few and enjoyed every minute of them. I am also of the age where a DIY hunt isn't as easy as it once was. Age is creeping up so having a horse to ride in helps immensely. Not interested in owning a horse to use for hunting once every few years. Also find it a benefit to come into camp at night, have a hot, tasty meal ready to eat. A hot shower feels nice as well. It may not be for everyone but I have always felt like I was hunting when with a guide even though he took me to places where he knew elk were present someplace in the area. I've also watched TV programs where the shooter did nothing more that pull the trigger. For me I don't mind using a guide but I still want to hunt. All of my guided hunts have been free-range, on public land. Not a "shoot this one for this much $$$$, and that one will cost $$$." For me it's always been shoot whatever you want, I decided the trophy value.

Have also used a guide I guess on some fishing trips, charters in particular. Those have all been saltwater trips where I'm not going to pull my boat that far but still wanted to fish.

As far a poaching, most of the poaching in African countries is because of foreign markets for some products, or so it seems from the articles I've read. I don't need some ground up horn to be used as an aphrodisiac (perhaps my wife could use some). In this country some poaching is for horns but there is also quite a bit where some idiot just shoots and kills because the animal is there. Shoot and leave.

The trophy value is in the eye of the beholder. Pretty sure humane societies are not the best judge of any hunters style.

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
These people are only asking for trouble when they post photos like this on social media. I'd be afraid of the animal rights wackos coming after me. It said in the video that she has gotten some death threats from it.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
2F8C1B22-0816-4D10-81B6-835641A1F2C5.jpeg

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just remember in the vast majority of their eyes all of us are Trophy Hunters due to the fact that none of us are hunting with meat being the only reason we're out there. We're out there because we enjoy hunting and to them that's inherently wrong and there's no changing that fact no matter how you dress it up.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Trophy hunting in Africa is the main funding for the conservation efforts to save the species they are hunting. The hunting should be fair chase otherwise I consider that just killing....

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hunt for the quality of the meat --- i cant eat the fatty ribeye --- but i can all the deer meet i can.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I hunt for the quality of the meat --- i cant eat the fatty ribeye --- but i can all the deer meet i can.

Chicken is a million times better than pheasant and way cheaper. You can buy super lean bison, or even beef for that matter much cheaper per pound than deer hunting. It’s ok to admit it’s pretty fun to hunt and kill stuff. Meat is a nice bonus. My favorite is experimenting with different wild game cuts

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can’t say I have any desire to whack a giraffe, but power to her. She probably took out a problem animal and fed a village all while stuffing the conservation coffers. Neck meat for days.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
not a trophy but we did run into a doe milling through neighborhoods in south fargo - miles away from a river, ditch or any other type of home. She was having a ball with kids dogs and anybody else in the neighbor hood.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's true that I don't need to hunt to eat. but I do eat everything I shoot. Enjoy finding recipes that enhance the flavor of game. I'm also a trophy hunter, it's just that my measurement of the trophy is the hunt. How the animal was taken, who was involved in the hunt, the conversation, the stories in the camp. All of that stuff makes for memories which for me defines the trophy.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
While I personally wouldn’t hunt for a trophy, if that is what motivates someone to hunt it’s fine as long as the meat is not wasted. I’d also disagree with those saying no one hunts for meat. Being single and spending a lot of time hunting about the only meat I buy is a steak once and a while. Hunting is an American tradition and the memories I’ve made in the field with family and friends is what it’s all about. As hunters we need to stand together regardless of what morivates us in order to pass on our tradition to the next generation.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a " confessed" trophy Hunter. If it was only meat I was after, 9 times outta 10, I could kill a ( any) deer first sit of the year.
But I have ( make) time to be more involved in the whole process.
Some folks have the time, $ too do so.
Kudos to them!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Trophy" is just a word people use to elevate themselves or belittle others. Nothing more.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74