E85 approved for year round use? Anyone run the stuff?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I just read an article on the Argus Leader written by none other than the CEO of POET ethanol. It touted the new to me decision at the federal level to allow E85 year round. Apparently it was not allowed in some areas in summer due to pollution. He went on to say how it would increase our corn need and provide jobs, blah blah blah. I haven't seen a real bump in the market due to it but don't follow corn too closely.

Question I have is does anyone even run E85? My truck can do it but I never have, most said the mileage loss was not worth it. I do run E10 here and there with not a huge difference. I am not sure if it would be worth it or not. Just curious if anyone uses it regularly.

Oh, and no, I don't run it in the boat or small engines LOL!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
that's what I don't understand it isn't a good product, its very corrosive and the vehicles that are designed to burn it run like crap. I know a few people who put it in by accident and thought there was something wrong with there engine.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put it in my pickup once. I'd rather walk to where I need to go before putting the shit in my vehicles again

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tired it once in my F150 just to see. Mileage is terrible, but the engine does have a little more zip.

Even running pure gasoline is worth the extra cost compared to using E10. You make up the cost in better mileage.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not one good thing about ethanol. Sure it burns cleaner, but what's the point when it takes burning nearly as much fossil fuel to make it. Bad mileage, fucks up every motor you put it in, it's junk.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
it's also hell on fiberglass tanks etc.

Major league screw job of the little man to benefit major industry types

sickening

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whoever sold the industry on the stuff should be employee of the month every month. Talk about industrial sized lipstick on an industrial sized pig.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I LOVE statements like this. What it really means is that everyone has figured out ethanol SUCKS and isn't buying it so NOW they have to market it again by saying "E85 is now approved for year round use.....blah blah blah" Like that will somehow make it NOT SUCK. Classic!!

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
1 gallon of ethanol creates approximately 81,800 BTUs when put to work. Gasoline creates 114,000 BTUs when put to work. It takes 1.29 gallons of ethanol to do the same amount of work that 1 gallon of gasoline does.

That being said, Ethanol has a much higher octane rating than gasoline, this allows a modern engine burning ethanol to advance it's timing more than it would be able to do while burning gasoline before it starts to ping. Higher octane rating = more advanced timing = a little bit more pep in your step, BUT, the lower heat content of ethanol means much less fuel economy...

I should add that Iso-Butane is what is normally used to increase the octane rating of gasoline to what we need at the pump. Ethanols high octane rating makes it avery effective replacement for iso-butane to aid in the increasing of the octane rating for fuel. Often times it is cheaper for refineries to purchase ethanol to blend rather than break out iso-butane to use for blending (of course this doesn't take into effect the cost of government subsidies for the folks that grow the corn).

Last edited:

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
Govt dictating that XX billion gallons of ethanol are going to be blended with gasoline this year is something reminiscent of central planning in the old soviet union.

If you have to aid farmers just aid them directly rather than going through this mess.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76