Trap league and the versamax

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently just started shooting in a trap league. My shotgun of choice and really my only option is my Remington versamax. The problem with that particular shotgun is that it throws the empty hull far enough to bounce off the guy to my right when shooting.

My main question is does anybody have any ideas or tips to change the way this thing throws empty's. When hunting I always make sure to take the right side of the decoy spread to avoid bouncing empties off the next guys head but I can't do that when we change positions every 5 shots. One guy suggested a rubber band around d the gun to "stovepipe" the empty but I would rather not go that route if there is another option

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
A9BB4B40-F0F6-407D-A05B-2DE2E7FA1530.jpeg

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I recently just started shooting in a trap league. My shotgun of choice and really my only option is my Remington versamax. The problem with that particular shotgun is that it throws the empty hull far enough to bounce off the guy to my right when shooting.

My main question is does anybody have any ideas or tips to change the way this thing throws empty's. When hunting I always make sure to take the right side of the decoy spread to avoid bouncing empties off the next guys head but I can't do that when we change positions every 5 shots. One guy suggested a rubber band around d the gun to "stovepipe" the empty but I would rather not go that route if there is another option
Rubber band is really the only solution, had to do that in trap with all my automatics

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
Birchwood Casey makes a shell catcher that could be an option for you. You can find them on cabelas or I'm sure at scheels. Not sure if you want to go that route as it is stuck on your gun but it does fold down when not needed. They do work well from what I've witnessed.

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Second on the Birchwood Casey shellcatcher. I put it on my semi-auto. Flip it up for trap, then back down for skeet or sporting clays. $12.95 or so. HH Guns has them in Bismarck.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your Versa-Max is drilled and tapped this would probably work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Versa-Max-...-Trap-Shooting-/223472258606?oid=222388692931

I know for 870/1100's there's a steel clip that's easy to install/remove. It clips over the side of the action from the ejection port down to the loading port and catches the case-head. Takes less than 10sec to install/remove. Maybe there's something like that for the Versamax?

aron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Black hair tie or pony tail holder or a tan one if your gun is camo. Try to blend the color so it is not distracting. They hold up better then rubber bands and is something that is easily removable. Place it right in front of the bolt handle when in full battery. It will hold the shell in and you will have to manually remove it.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your Versa-Max is drilled and tapped this would probably work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Versa-Max-...-Trap-Shooting-/223472258606?oid=222388692931

I know for 870/1100's there's a steel clip that's easy to install/remove. It clips over the side of the action from the ejection port down to the loading port and catches the case-head. Takes less than 10sec to install/remove. Maybe there's something like that for the Versamax?

I ordered the one clip style that is made for the 1100. If that doesn't work I will probably go with the eBay model.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Establish dominance. Let it rain.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Establish dominance. Let it rain.

I can sure dominate a plate of wings at the Horace trap/skeet/5-stand courses. I think they're "clay pigeons" however are made of some manner of unbreakable cement or steel or something.............;:;rofl

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I miss skeet and wings.

And the guys too I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

also - I feel like the slow but sure drop in wing size/quality contributed to the disbanding of the greatest skeet team in history

#thanksalotlunchlady

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76