Pigeons

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would be able to point you in the right direction in Fargo, lol, but no help in Minot..

HammsRMK

Honored Member
we have a bunch flying around at work. not sure if you want to try and or know how to catch them.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have had the best luck in old grain bins. sneak up close the lid then go inside and get the hell beat out of you catching them. wear a dust mask

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have had the best luck in old grain bins. sneak up close the lid then go inside and get the hell beat out of you catching them. wear a dust mask

Going at night with 2 people works even better. One guy opens the door and shines a flashlight back and forth on the hole up top while the other guy nets and cages them...it's actually pretty fun!

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you have any luck finding pigeons? Also say a guy does catch a bunch how do you keep them?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a buddy keep three or four in one of those wire mesh dog crates in the garage. Once caught, they settle down pretty good and did well in that setup. For my money, I'd just hook up with a local farmer or rancher and shoot a couple to put in the freezer. Frozen birds worked real well for me when I was training my english cocker Hercules.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
A dog trainer gave me the name and number of a guy I believe in the Max area who sells pigeons for dog training, but it was 6 or 7 years ago. Not sure if he is still doing it but I could pass it along if you want to try.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Frozen birds work just fine for training. I used frozen pheasants that I had breasted out. Fold them up with a little duct tape, put in plastic bag worked wonderful and the dog gets the pheasant smell as well and they are reusable.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you guys using frozen birds to train pointing dogs? Would you guys using frozen birds for training mind sharing your process?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
ItemB I use like you would a bumper or hide and then take pup out to find. I like the pheasant scent to get their attention. Just use 4 or 5 times a session worked best for me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75