Amazing!!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just cooked up the 27" walleye I caught last Saturday, and it was great! Cooked up a 16" with it to make a meal for 2, and after chunking up and trimming off all red meat, they tasted exactly the same. It's amazing it didn't turn to $hit when it hit 23", or was it 24", or 25", or 22"? I can never remember when the meat magically turns to $hit. Of course, it was NEVER FROZEN! I believe that is a major factor in eating fish.

Oh, and for all the guys that think I should have let it go, it was worth to much $$$, as I was in a tournament. There's a pic in the pic page. Might have kept it anyway as bad a year as I am having getting to eat fish.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bleed it out, rub it good in ice cold water with strong spray stream, zip, don't freeze, repeat..good eats!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didn't even get to bleed it out the way the tournament weigh ins are set up.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Next time have one of them kennel walleye -- they even taste better the meat is better as they havent excercised for a day or so
;:;rofl

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, they taste the same as a 14 inch fish...because they are the same. The only thing you should be able to notice is that the texture is a little coarser (bigger flakes).

And, of course, the bigger they get...the more they start tasting like a thermometer.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have ate every walleye I have caught above about 12", unfortunately this is more a reflection on my ability to catch fish vs rampant greed that seems to be the core of most situations. I caught a 7lb personal best, ate it, it was great.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bake those big fish I can't release. Sprinkled over a salad, that baked walleye is very not icky.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
like Rowdie said cut the red meat out better fish, big fish have a lot of that. go ahead and tell me that it doesn't taste different if you don't cut it out. bs the bigger the fish the more red meat they have and the older they are. I keep fish when I'm out of fish not just to fill up a freezer. I'm not starving so me keeping a fish over 23 is hard for me to do. running a knife in a big fish is sad for me. I could give a shit if anyone keeps a limit of 30 inch walleyes. i guess if you shore lunch and deep fry road kill would taste good too.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If mercury makes you sterile, at 70 I guess I am done caring so I don't give a rats ass. Eat them all.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
like Rowdie said cut the red meat out better fish, big fish have a lot of that. go ahead and tell me that it doesn't taste different if you don't cut it out. bs the bigger the fish the more red meat they have and the older they are. I keep fish when I'm out of fish not just to fill up a freezer. I'm not starving so me keeping a fish over 23 is hard for me to do. running a knife in a big fish is sad for me. I could give a shit if anyone keeps a limit of 30 inch walleyes. i guess if you shore lunch and deep fry road kill would taste good too.

actually it is quite tasty, pan fried with butter and mushroooms

(meaning the road kill . . .)

and don't knock it until you try it

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I enjoy letting the big ones go and let others enjoy the expierence instead of being selfish and only enjoying it myself.....wait....are we talking fishing or not?

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bleed it out, rub it good in ice cold water with strong spray stream, zip, don't freeze, repeat..good eats!

How do you bleed out a Walleye? I fished with a guide a few years ago and he told me he always did that and I saw him do something with a scissors but didn't get a good look. Is that supposed to have some affect on the meat flavor?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75