Van Hook — maiden voyage

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Well boys, after 5 years of living in Bismarck, I’m finally making the maiden voyage to van hook with the wife and kids this weekend. With expectations of 5 pound eyes jumping in the boat, I’m thinking two flats of crawlers may not be enough!!! Back to reality.

Something tells me I don’t quite fully grasp what it is going to be like fishing this area with hundreds of boats. If you see a white tin can full of kids, give a shout out and remember I’m a newbie. I’ll do my best to steer clear of the higher populated areas.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don’t be afraid to use minnows yet.
It is what you make it. Can you fish with 70 other boats and catch fish yes can you fish by yourself and catch fish yes
as in my other post on the VHC thread I popped my limit of nice walleyes In short order and was the only boat running a cranking run in the spot. One guy deeper live baiting one guy shallower appeared to be jigging. Dont fall for the temptation of the crowd plenty of structure to fish and plenty of fish.
Enjoy
I will be up as well at the cabin feel free to PM if needed

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd recommend a map from the bait shop that shows all of the islands/submerged islands. I sent you a pm as well.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
I would save your gas money, heard the ARM winter killed!!!#$%^&> lol. Lots of boats but mildly pleasant compared to the river enjoy!!!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can't find fish this time of year at Van Hook, you need to sell your boat. They will literally be off of every point, submerged island, and most flats out there. Finding the technique that works best for you and your setup (boat, speed, etc) is the bigger challenge, just know that they are there and they're hungry.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd recommend a map from the bait shop that shows all of the islands/submerged islands. I sent you a pm as well.

I'd recommend a map from the bait shop that shows all of the community holes I sent you a pm as well

use your gps with mapping capabilities and don't be afraid to fish by yourself seriously much more enjoyable....

- - - Updated - - -

fixed the top line for ya!!

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just do what most people do, look for the most boats in one spot and go beat it up!! If you see 1 or 2 boats off by themselves believe me they have no clue what they are doing, don't go near those people. you want to be near the other boats, the more bait in 1 area the more fish that are attracted to that area!!

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made my maiden voyage from Bismarck to the hook last Monday. We did well but it took a little experimenting. My brother refused to pull BBs and I was OK with that...I believe he referred to that technique as the fag drag (no offense fellow BBs). What we learned by the end of the day is that the fish wanted a jig and a minnow from us and they bit lightly. The quality of the fish we caught was very impressive. One of our best spots was a submerged island that topped out at 20 fow. It was easy to see the fish on the graph in that depth so we knew they were there. Good luck!!

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Today was My first time up there as well. Not fast and furious action by any means but in about 6 hours a 2 man limit that probably averaged 3 lbs or better. A few on crawlers but most on a jig and minnow.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeah unless you fish whiteys, rodeo, gull, flag, or fox i wouldnt bother going no fish anywhere else. just get in line with the 70 other boats and go to town....

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
the number of boats will not be an issue. On the fourth of July weekend there is usually around 400 trailers sitting at the ramp in Van Hook, Parshall and Pouch. Fishing is good all over the arm.

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Well, afternoon #1 in the books. Hopefully it was the weather this morning slowed the bite. After throwing back 16”-17” eyes right away, we hooked into a 21” eye that went in the box. I started to lower my expectations as we boxed some 16”-17” fatties. I think I might be the first person to catch walleyes under 18” on Van hook.

Nonetheless, we ended catching a total of 16 eyes. Biggest was 22-1/2”. Leeches held there own against the crawlers.

Will report back back if we make it out tomorrow.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74