User Tag List

  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • WTF!?
  • zzz
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 24
    1. Back To Top    #1
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      857
      NDA Points
      9,465
      NDA Level
      41
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 907
      Given: 703

      Apple tree insecticide?

      I planted 4 new apple trees this spring. They were 1 gallon potted trees about 6-7 foot tall. I just noticed something has started eating their leaves. It's gotta be some type of insect or worms but I don't see any on the trees. What should I spray on them? Thinking either Sevin or Bonide.

      0 Not allowed!

    2. Back To Top    #2
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      tikkalover's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Minot
      Posts
      2,637
      NDA Points
      75,536
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      22
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,308
      Given: 7,140
      I would use Sevin XLR or Talstar One. With the Talstar One (generic Tempo) you can use it inside the house if you have bug\spider issues, works good on sheeters in the lawn, it comes in a quart bottle.

      1 Not allowed!

    3. Back To Top    #3
      Gold Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Phill Latio's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2015
      Posts
      168
      NDA Points
      4,286
      NDA Level
      27
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 121
      Given: 110
      It’s the deer

      0 Not allowed!

    4. Back To Top    #4
      Ultimate VIP Member
      In Progress
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      KDM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Valley City
      Posts
      3,743
      NDA Points
      345,283
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      58
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 10,619
      Given: 3,271
      Classifieds
      2
      For a chemical, Sevin is what I would use. For a non chemical, an ounce of Dawn dish soap in a quart spray bottle will also jack up most bugs pretty well. Spray either one on the branches and trunk as well as the leaves. Good Luck!!

      1 Not allowed!

    5. Back To Top    #5
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      MuskyManiac's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Grand Forks, ND
      Posts
      1,224
      NDA Points
      202,241
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      7
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,437
      Given: 925
      Tempo.

      2 Not allowed!

    6. Back To Top    #6
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      857
      NDA Points
      9,465
      NDA Level
      41
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 907
      Given: 703
      Quote Originally Posted by Phill Latio View Post
      It’s the deer
      No it's not deer.

      0 Not allowed!

    7. Back To Top    #7
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      guywhofishes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Little Minneapolis, ND
      Posts
      9,786
      NDA Points
      237,427
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 13,621
      Given: 12,767
      Classifieds
      1
      my honeyberries got pissed off about getting doped with Sevin last year

      - - - Updated - - -

      Quote Originally Posted by tikkalover View Post
      I would use Sevin XLR or Talstar One. With the Talstar One (generic Tempo) you can use it inside the house if you have bug\spider issues, works good on sheeters in the lawn, it comes in a quart bottle.
      them lawn sheeters are the worst

      thanks Obama

      0 Not allowed!
      If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
      ~Doug Larson

    8. Back To Top    #8
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      tikkalover's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Minot
      Posts
      2,637
      NDA Points
      75,536
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      22
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,308
      Given: 7,140
      Quote Originally Posted by guywhofishes View Post
      my honeyberries got pissed off about getting doped with Sevin last year

      - - - Updated - - -



      them lawn sheeters are the worst

      thanks Obama
      That short for, shitty skeeters!

      1 Not allowed!

    9. Back To Top    #9
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Big Iron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Posts
      284
      NDA Points
      14,090
      NDA Level
      51
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 268
      Given: 165
      Quote Originally Posted by NDSportsman View Post
      I planted 4 new apple trees this spring. They were 1 gallon potted trees about 6-7 foot tall. I just noticed something has started eating their leaves. It's gotta be some type of insect or worms but I don't see any on the trees. What should I spray on them? Thinking either Sevin or Bonide.
      I had the same thing happen this year to my Bur Oaks and Princeton Elms. Damn bugs ate every leaf on them back to the stem. Probably not going to make it thru the winter now.

      I'm curious to see what everyone recommends for a remedy.

      1 Not allowed!

    10. Back To Top    #10
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Aug 2015
      Posts
      203
      NDA Points
      11,755
      NDA Level
      46
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 220
      Given: 6,778
      Quote Originally Posted by Big Iron View Post
      I had the same thing happen this year to my Bur Oaks and Princeton Elms. Damn bugs ate every leaf on them back to the stem. Probably not going to make it thru the winter now.

      I'm curious to see what everyone recommends for a remedy.
      Have worms eating the leaves off of our golden willows. Been using Sevin on them, seems to work. Had the same worms last year. The trees last year that they ate all the leaves off before we noticed them ended up dying.

      1 Not allowed!

    11. Back To Top    #11
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Drifting the high plains
      Posts
      3,710
      NDA Points
      33,710
      NDA Level
      80
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,160
      Given: 2,471
      When the tree is older don't use Sevin when they are in blossom. If you have a crab apple that's making a mess in your yard dust it with Sevin when it is in blossom. Somehow it tricks the blossoms into thinking they have been pollinated and you get zero apples.

      1 Not allowed!

    12. Back To Top    #12
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Aug 2015
      Posts
      203
      NDA Points
      11,755
      NDA Level
      46
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 220
      Given: 6,778
      Quote Originally Posted by KDM View Post
      For a chemical, Sevin is what I would use. For a non chemical, an ounce of Dawn dish soap in a quart spray bottle will also jack up most bugs pretty well. Spray either one on the branches and trunk as well as the leaves. Good Luck!!

      what exactly does the dawn dish soap in water do to bugs? Sounds like a good non toxic way to control them.

      0 Not allowed!

    13. Back To Top    #13
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Allen's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Lincoln, kinda...
      Posts
      2,492
      NDA Points
      33,821
      NDA Level
      80
      Report Entries
      5
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,928
      Given: 1,134
      Quote Originally Posted by NDbowman View Post
      what exactly does the dawn dish soap in water do to bugs? Sounds like a good non toxic way to control them.

      It's called sodium lauryl sulfate. Heck of a surfactant. Basically, it suffocates the bugs as the small openings in their exoskeleton are full of water. Without it, the water tends to bead up and the insects can walk on water tension. Add just a little dish soap or shampoo and they sink and drown. It also has a desiccating effect on bugs which is yet another mode of death for them. It's one of the key ingredients in insecticidal soaps that are commercially available.

      2 Not allowed!
      Last edited by Allen; 06-14-2019 at 09:05 AM.
      "Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." Mark Twain, speaking on Congress.

    14. Back To Top    #14
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      857
      NDA Points
      9,465
      NDA Level
      41
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 907
      Given: 703
      Sprayed my trees with Sevin and a bunch of tiny green inch worms fell out of them. Dirty bastards! I saw some flys on the trees too. Wonder if those worms are a fly larvae. Gonna hit them again next week after the rains.

      0 Not allowed!

    15. Back To Top    #15
      Silver Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Dirty's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Bismarck
      Posts
      57
      NDA Points
      197,410
      NDA Level
      100
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 441
      Given: 112
      Quote Originally Posted by NDSportsman View Post
      Sprayed my trees with Sevin and a bunch of tiny green inch worms fell out of them. Dirty bastards! I saw some flys on the trees too. Wonder if those worms are a fly larvae. Gonna hit them again next week after the rains.
      Those are Cankerworms...more commonly called inchworms. They will completely defoliate huge areas of trees and are really bad in our creek bottom land for the third year in a row now. They go in cycles I guess...2 to 7 really bad years and then up to 15 years where they are hardly noticeable. They love fruit trees among other types. They have really caused some damage to our apple trees, which can't take the stress of being defoliated year after year. It's good to know you found something that might work on them. I'm going to try it.

      0 Not allowed!
      Last edited by Dirty; 06-14-2019 at 11:32 AM.

    16. Back To Top    #16
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      BDub's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Bismarck
      Posts
      767
      NDA Points
      38,032
      NDA Level
      85
      Report Entries
      3
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 695
      Given: 2,106
      I live down by Briardale. The canker worms were crazy. We paid for aerial spraying. Seems to be working. Dead ones every where. They get constipated and die.

      1 Not allowed!

    17. Back To Top    #17
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      857
      NDA Points
      9,465
      NDA Level
      41
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 907
      Given: 703
      Quote Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
      Those are Cankerworms...more commonly called inchworms. They will completely defoliate huge areas of trees and are really bad in our creek bottom land for the third year in a row now. They go in cycles I guess...2 to 7 really bad years and then up to 15 years where they are hardly noticeable. They love fruit trees among other types. They have really caused some damage to our apple trees, which can't take the stress of being defoliated year after year. It's good to know you found something that might work on them. I'm going to try it.
      So far so good it seems to have killed them or kept them out of my apple trees. We have 3 old apple trees in the yard and I don't believe I've seen this little buggers before but they are pretty small. Haven't noticed a lot of leaf damage on our other trees.

      0 Not allowed!

    18. Back To Top    #18
      Ultimate VIP Member
      In Progress
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      KDM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Valley City
      Posts
      3,743
      NDA Points
      345,283
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      58
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 10,619
      Given: 3,271
      Classifieds
      2
      Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
      It's called sodium lauryl sulfate. Heck of a surfactant. Basically, it suffocates the bugs as the small openings in their exoskeleton are full of water. Without it, the water tends to bead up and the insects can walk on water tension. Add just a little dish soap or shampoo and they sink and drown. It also has a desiccating effect on bugs which is yet another mode of death for them. It's one of the key ingredients in insecticidal soaps that are commercially available.
      Nailed it Allen!! I spray my plum, apple, cherry, and pear trees with the dawn dish soap mixture whenever the aphids get stacked on the new growth. It works real well on them too. However, I avoid blossom time. It negatively affects pollenation.

      1 Not allowed!

    19. Back To Top    #19
      Silver Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Dirty's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Location
      Bismarck
      Posts
      57
      NDA Points
      197,410
      NDA Level
      100
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 441
      Given: 112
      Quote Originally Posted by KDM View Post
      For a chemical, Sevin is what I would use. For a non chemical, an ounce of Dawn dish soap in a quart spray bottle will also jack up most bugs pretty well. Spray either one on the branches and trunk as well as the leaves. Good Luck!!

      How many times a year do you spray your fruit trees with the Dawn dish soap mixture? Do you use any chemical sprays in between your Dawn treatments? Is there any downside that you are aware of to using the Dawn dish soap treatment.

      This is the first time I've heard of it and I would prefer this over any chemical insecticide if it proves effective.

      Thanks!

      0 Not allowed!

    20. Back To Top    #20
      Ultimate VIP Member
      In Progress
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      KDM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Valley City
      Posts
      3,743
      NDA Points
      345,283
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      58
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 10,619
      Given: 3,271
      Classifieds
      2
      I use the soap mix on my fruit trees early in the season when the leaves are just popping out to thwart those early worm type pests (if needed) and then again if I start seeing aphids start to bunch up on the new growth leaves. I avoid using it during the flowering stages. The only downside to the mix that I have found is if you use too much soap in the mix or use it too often. It can gum up the leaves and dirt will stick causing some issues. Other than that, I've had zero problems.

      0 Not allowed!

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  


    About Nodak Angler

      NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

    Business & Contact

    Follow us on

    Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube