Spoons, again...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So the kids and I were going walleye fishing yesterday afternoon and as we hit the ramp I noticed a thunderstorm bearing down on us from about 45 minutes out (get a weather app with radar, it's great!). So not wanting to get caught on the water just minutes after putting in the boat, I decided to wait it out at the ramp and watch the sh!t-show as people scrambled to get off the water. After about ten minutes, the kids were fighting as only siblings can, so I scrounged up three rods to start tossing some daredevils at a spot where the pike generally oblige.

Within 3 minutes, the kids had a nice double.

clownkids2.jpg

A closer look at the lures of choice.
Spoon1.jpg
Spoon2.jpg

Within 20 minutes, the kids had caught 8 of these keepers, then we had to take a break as the t-storm passed overhead.
clownkids.jpg

Yeah, the bigger ones are 25-26 inches, but since I know they won't go to waste, I chose to let the kids keep their bigger fish. After the storm passed, it took almost an hour and a half to finish out our limit of 15 fish. May just be the first time I've ever drug my boat along to go fishing from shore. As I told the kids, this is by far the best I've ever done using spoons to catch walleyes where 12 of the 15 fish we kept were taken with spoons. Also caught two on a rapala and one on a jig/twister tail combo. Also C&R'd a pretty nice pike. Pretty good afternoon to play hooky from work.

- - - Updated - - -

Note, we would have probably finished a little earlier, but the daughter had her reel completely discombobulate when trying to land the biggest of the eyes. So we were down to 2 rods after having only caught 3 fish.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah, and bonus of the day. I learned my daughter was not only unafraid of casting a baitcaster (after her spinning reel broke) but that she was born a master of the baitcaster. The only backlash of the day was on me! And here I thought I'd be respooling it today when I first handed it to her. Super excited at how easy casting a baitcaster was for her. It may now be her new favorite rod/reel combo.

Last edited:

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
thats awesome.

like the song from moana goes " fish are dumb dumb dumb they chase anythign that glitters...beginners " haha if that song wasn't in your head it is now

your welcome!!

- - - Updated - - -

if you have no idea what im talking about google "shiny" from moana soundtrack....your welcome yet again!!!

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
The day before we had our second son, DirtyMike gave me tip to go to a lake that was having a bit of a rumbling walleye bite. I took my brother and father-in-law with. My father-in-law was not convinced there was even walleye in this lake, but he tagged along--- with his "pike" rod, complete with gaudy firetiger spoon and 12 inch, black steel leader. He basically just chalked it up as a day for a ride-along and to wet a line. Within a hour or so, we had our limit of walleyes, most were taken on that stupid "pike rod" by my FIL. Was a great day, and the Shiny-song comment did come to mind.

Sometimes you just have to put something in front of them to eat...

Great story Allen--- cool pictures.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks everyone, it really was a fantastic afternoon on the shoreline! The kids were super excited with how it all played out, and I was even more pleased.

Here's another pic of the bucket of fish:
A-fish.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

note, that my fish are included in the bucket as well.

Sotaman

Established Member
I fished the tailrace one time with Allen very very hungover from chasing tail the night before. I loved racing up to the dam and pitching jigs and made the comment I have never caught a walleye on a crank so we gave that a go as well. Fun times

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
thats awesome.

like the song from moana goes " fish are dumb dumb dumb they chase anythign that glitters...beginners " haha if that song wasn't in your head it is now

your welcome!!

- - - Updated - - -

if you have no idea what im talking about google "shiny" from moana soundtrack....your welcome yet again!!!

LOL, had never heard the song before and I gotta admit, I wasn't disappointed. funny stuff!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Allen...perhaps we should get DM working on custom spoons...after this report guessing they'd sell out quick! Good stuff...

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Can honestly say I haven't fished with a spoon in the open water in more than 10 years...heading to Deepwater Sunday...may have to pick a few up tomorrow!#$%^&>

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn, I suck at fishing...

Great story Allen, thanks for sharing.

We all have our moments. Truth be told, I'd say that while I've had a couple days with solid weights, the ease at which the kids put up the numbers of good fish yesterday made it by far my/our best outing of the year so far.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you would have said you were catching eyes hand over fist, I'd assume a shield lake in Canada.

That, sir, is an incredible feat. I'm both impressed and highly jealous.

Congrats on the pile of fillets and happy kiddos!!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hah, much closer to Bismarck than Canada. But I have to keep the GPS coordinates a bit on the down low as I got the Goose Lake treatment from a couple fellow anglers.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you would have said you were catching eyes hand over fist, I'd assume a shield lake in Canada.

That, sir, is an incredible feat. I'm both impressed and highly jealous.

Congrats on the pile of fillets and happy kiddos!!

Walleyes dont just eat a crawler harness in 15-25 feet of water.

- - - Updated - - -

Hah, much closer to Bismarck than Canada. But I have to keep the GPS coordinates a bit on the down low as I got the Goose Lake treatment from a couple fellow anglers.

I hope you told those guys to go kick rocks.

Well done on the impromptu shore-whacking. I wouldve shat myself catching multiple mid 20 inch fish when i was that age. (ive learned now that my dad was a poor fisherman)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75