Who is the baitcaster master????

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Respectfully, I can't agree with that. There's plenty of good performance available for a 100 bucks or less. I can be a gear snob with the best. Performance is performance.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why did we wake up this old thread? Anyway, I can cast either but I much prefer fishing with spinning for the simple reason that I have much better feel of my lure and bites with the spinning. With the spinning, the rod is in my hand, with the BC, the reel is in my hand.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you ever start thinking you're the bait caster master, there is likely a monster backlash in the near future.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you ever start thinking you're the bait caster master, there is likely a monster backlash in the near future.

Start casting #5 Shallow Runners into a 15MPH wind. BLECH!!!!

With a GOOD bait caster, lots of practice, and reasonable conditions, IMO there is a lot less effort/cast with a BC reel. I run the free-spool WFO and typically just have 1 of 6-8 kinetic brakes engaged (Shimano, no mag brake). My thumb and my eyes are my "brakes". That said, I've dug out an infinite number of backlashes to get there, and I still foul one up occasionally.

FWIW, I'm right handed, keep the rod/reel in my right hand and reel w/my left, just as I would a spinning rod.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The boy bought one this summer as he is wanting to expand his arsenal. He put in a summer of working for a pretty good series of paychecks, and this was one of his bigger purchases. He casts that sombitch like a pro. Guess its more of an open mind youth thing.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Started using bait caster back in day of lindy rigs, hit button hold slight thumb pressure till weight hits button leave thumb on spool watch line let loose of thumb if need 5 to 10 ft more than hold pressure all the time than you can fell the bite through the line to your finger, just like spin combo hold your finger is trick pros showed me many years ago. Casting like guys said adjust and throw hard all in wrist and good rod not stiff dog either. I fished with some bass nuts down south they could pitch jigs in coffee can from 50 feet.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why did we wake up this old thread? Anyway, I can cast either but I much prefer fishing with spinning for the simple reason that I have much better feel of my lure and bites with the spinning. With the spinning, the rod is in my hand, with the BC, the reel is in my hand.

Well Sir,

There wasn't enough fishing talk for my liking and I wanted the world to enjoy more of my flowing honey prose.

- - - Updated - - -

I am starting to lose my touch ---- to much wally fishing.

BC/Husky Jerk/walleye: Damn fine combo. Texas rigged plastic worms are (or can be) as effective a grubs and slide nicely through cover. I don't see why one couldn't be rigged on a Lindy.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure as hell would eliminate a lot of mess and bullshit inherit with live bait.

- - - Updated - - -

And color choices are vast...

Last edited:

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My lord; I hope someone drags a "bass" plastic worm on a spinner etc (appropriately hooked) and reports back in the future.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Using proper sentence structure for this thread the title should be: "Who is the master baitcaster?" Master is an adjective describing baitcaster.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
My lord; I hope someone drags a "bass" plastic worm on a spinner etc (appropriately hooked) and reports back in the future.

Many walleye on a carolina 6 inch grape salt impregnated plastic worm. Used to fish bass tourneys in sota. More waldo's caught on bass lures plus they were in places one would never think of

I still have a habit of buying baitcast rigs. Only 4 spinning reels in my boat

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76