Is Detailed Vin check a scam??

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pickup listed on Craigslist and 3 people are interested in it and all 3 asked for a Detailed vin check report. And they all sent me a link to it.

Never seen or heard of them before,

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't click on any links from that site. I would go to Carfax and purchase the report on your own and send them the report if they really want it. My guess is that those are links to other VIN check sites in an attempt to get you to purchase from them.

Roscoe

When I sold a vehicle on Craigslist I remember being told that 90% of the people that send you specific links for VIN checks on vehicles are scams. When I got those messages I would ask if a Carfax report would be ok and generally got one reason or another why they needed me to use their link. The thing that gave those away was the answer was almost exactly the same for each person.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would wait for the 4th person interested.

Last edited:

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been in the autobody/auto insurance biz for 15 years, and not once, has myself, anyone I worked with, or an insurance company reported vehicle damage to any of those sites.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure Carfax is a waste of time and money.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes I think it must be the latest scam, im selling my dodge diesel and had 5 or 6 people want a vehicle check and provided a link. Only thing worse is all the door knobs that want more pics. craigslist charges 10 bucks to list a vehicle now

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty sure Carfax is a waste of time and money.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
the only advantage i can see with carfax is the vehical was serviced at a dealership you can see service records. other than that it is a service that people think they need before buying a car now.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a girl show up last night with a cashiers check made out for the asking amount. I told her cash in the text messages. I said go to the bank and cash it and I will knock 500.00 off the asking price.

I wonder how many people will fall for the fake check.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now a days, you gotta be on your toes when selling things, especially online, even ebay. High dollar things/vehicles bring the worst of the scammers. When you ask for cash only and they want to offer cashiers check is a dead give away.

The other give away is they want to give you a check for more than you ask, then ask you to cash it and send the excessive back to them. smh

- - - Updated - - -

I had a girl show up last night with a cashiers check made out for the asking amount. I told her cash in the text messages. I said go to the bank and cash it and I will knock 500.00 off the asking price.

I wonder how many people will fall for the fake check.

Did she come back?

Last edited:

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now a days, you gotta be on your toes when selling things, especially online, even ebay. High dollar things/vehicles bring the worst of the scammers. When you ask for cash only and they want to offer cashiers check is a dead give away.

The other give away is they want to give you a check for more than you ask, then ask you to cash it and send the excessive back to them. smh

- - - Updated - - -

Did she come back?

She never came back, When I got out of the pickup she walked up and asked me if I had the title. Yep right here and she pulled out the check. Never looked at the pickup. Didnt drive it, kick a tire or anything.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74