Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,424
      Given: 2,858
      Quote Originally Posted by PrairieGhost View Post
      Wildlife was here thousands of years before ag, and in greater abundance. Society would not tolerate bison and grizzly today. Waterfowl populations, and native upland would be much more abundant with prairie habitat.
      OK, now you’ve hit a nerve. If you’re going to proffer nonsense, please stop referencing your career in wildlife biology. Makes the rest of us look bad. I’ll give you the griz and grouse. But if you’re going to state that waterfowl numbers, specifically Gulf Coast wintering birds like lesser snow geese, aren’t higher than they’ve ever been due to the abundance of food available on the wintering grounds (ag), well you’re just plain wrong. And to paint with such a broad brush as to say “wildlife was here before ag, and in greater abundance” is dangerous. Give a hoos, don’t be obtuse. That’s my new slogan

1 Not allowed!

2. Back To Top    #102
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,160
      Given: 2,471
      Carpin you can't pick and choose. Sure there are many snow geese, but we don't have those here in North Dakota.
      I hope your joking. If we could look at a section of land in 1800 here in North Dakota
      My phone is changing things on me Carp In. Thought I would let you know so you wouldn't need spend time on one of you grammar and spelling lessons.

Not being able to read and comprehend makes us look bad too. Picking something that doesn't breed here to make yourself look good is a cheap shot. So let's talk mallards, pintail, and prairie chickens. In the event you know nothing about prairie chickens they require native prairie. They covered North Dakota east of the Misssouri. I'm not familiar with their populations west of that. Today there are I think a couple dozen left on a Waterfowl Production Area North West of Grand Forks. As far as mallards and pintail I'll ask what happens when 80 percent of their nesting habitat is gone? Read, then think.

Edit: Any idea what anhydrous ammonia does to earth worms?

You have a rectal cranial inversion if over all you think wildlife wasnt here before ag and in greater abundance. Get real.

0 Not allowed!
      Last edited by PrairieGhost; 06-23-2019 at 06:47 AM.

3. Back To Top    #103
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 240
      Given: 153
      A discussion about wind towers sure turned into the No. 1 SHIT SHOW. Let GST come back for a day. This needs to go on for 15-20 pages at least.

0 Not allowed!

4. Back To Top    #104
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,160
      Given: 2,471
      Your right one big ------. Someone made a good point about developing alternative energy. I'm all for developing it, but not subsidizing it when it's inefficient. One day we will run out of oil, but not likely in the next few hundred years. However we should prepare for the sake of our generations to come and not be to self centered. Sorry I seen the relationship between that and advocating for conservation through subsidies for the future rather than subsidizing a surplus for the individual.
      I drove through Courtney yesterday and the town is surrounded by wind towers. Sure looked like a lot of wasted tax dollars to me.

0 Not allowed!

5. Back To Top    #105
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,238
      Given: 469
      Went to a wedding last night and met one of our Public Service Commissioners. He said the Burke County location was bad. We discussed many things and agreed when it comes to cutting deals or mitigating things...….simply cutting a check or giving a half million to Ducks Unlimited isn't good for wildlife.

A better option/site is a quarter of land with half prairie and the other half broke out between hills. Little water, highly erodible and poor or no fence. Not good for crop or pasture. Site that quarter of land, plant native grasses on it and try to get it back to natural.

0 Not allowed!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456