Burke County Wind Farm Denied

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
last summer the windmill field south of langdon looked like every windmill got a complete new head and vanes. these weren't installed that long ago

This is so they can take advantage of new subsidies. If they upgrade them the subsidies that are almost gone don't matter and they qualify for the new program. That way us tax payers get to pay for the power twice and wind still looks cheap on the books

- - - Updated - - -

That farm was built about 12 years ago and since then the technology has advanced. They replaced the generators and blades with bigger ones to increase the capacity.

sounds cost effective eh? It actually because if they do the upgrades they get the new subsidy program, that way they can make it look cheap although most don't realize you pay for wind twice. where do people think the money comes from to subsidize these worthless pieces of crap?

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
14 trailer.jpg

HARD no

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Wonder how many of these people who are against the wind farms are the same ones who are championing "private property rights" against sportsmen every chance they get? Cant have it both ways folks.

My favorites are the farmers who are against wind farms because they are "heavily subsidized". Pot meet kettle.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
eyesores are distinct to the individual... fences, power lines, cars.... who draws the lines

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brandenburg is absolute embarassment. First off, he should be the first case in front of the "ethics" committee. Not sure why he still has a job in state government when all he focus' on his travelling the state pushing wind projects, even the ones outside his district. Dont your constituents have other concerns that need your attention other than lobbying for wind energy?

Second, now he's so enamored with the influence he *thinks* he has, that he wants to reprimand the PSC? They are elected officials tasked with regulating these industries and you think you can tell them what to do? Ha, funny. Sit back down Mr. Brandenburg and know your place. Maybe start by shutting the f*&$ up, you self serving loser.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd be curious to know everyone's objections to more wind power generation. I like industry as much as the next guy, but I feel that I hate wind more less than everyone else. Maybe I am missing something. Is it just the look of them? Are there other negatives I may not be aware of? Cost/benefit? Bird Killers? Please, educate me as this is a serious question. Why do those of you commenting on hear hate wind as a power generation so much?

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd be curious to know everyone's objections to more wind power generation. I like industry as much as the next guy, but I feel that I hate wind more less than everyone else. Maybe I am missing something. Is it just the look of them? Are there other negatives I may not be aware of? Cost/benefit? Bird Killers? Please, educate me as this is a serious question. Why do those of you commenting on hear hate wind as a power generation so much?

**here**

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All kinds of issues and i have no ideal who is right or wrong, worthless or not, ugly or not, bird killers or not, tax payers money or not.

However, here the land owners sign the paper for them and had no problems signing these here papers (I am sure if I had made the decision on their property rights I would of heard). They do get a healty check (and it does amount to a fair amount of monies, for some a decent living with that check alone) even if i do not get a check when they are using a share of my wind. They bitch as they cash the check as I do with no check for my wind.

I grew up as a farmer kid so I know how to complain and do a fairly good job about how unfair life is but I was hoping as the towners used the wind there would be less wind in this god forsaken windy state. But no, my kite still works just as good as before. with just as big a tail on it as before.

Looks and works fine for me. db

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wind power is not to a point where it's profitable to run them. The only reason there are so many is because when the libs were running things there were subsidies to offset the cost and maintenance. No subsidies means energy companies don't want to put a dime into them when good old fashion coal works just fine for cheaper.

The day will come when we won't have a choice, but until then they're going to fall apart and rot, leaving hulks of good intentions riddled across the North Dakota prairie.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
[QUOT
cache.php
E=7mmMag;254416]14 trailer.jpg[/QUOTE]

Just another day at the office.

Damn good Deer stand.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know that studies have found a significant decrease in nesting duck numbers around them they just don't like them. Needless to say they're not good for flocks of birds flying around either although I once did see a small flock of snow geese get jumped on a foggy day that turned very interesting very quickly out by kulm.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Because they are subsidized to the hilt. As a stand alone source of power it would fall right on its face. The libs love goverment sponsored programs and wind energy fits into their scheme... it is NOT our most efficient or cost-effective sourcse of energy and for that reason I am out.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same for ethanol. It's a feel-good fuel source that's only profitable because the government pays to make it so. Take away subsidies, and ethanol would make zero cents/sense.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I"m so sick of hearing how good ethanol is for the country, and ND specifically. Cut the crap, everyone knows its garbage and no one willingly pumps it into their tanks. Stop using good land to grow too much corn, and start using it for food. Or better yet, diversify a little bit outside of corn and soybeans.

Sorry, didnt meant to detract from Wind. But its all in the same vein. Do away with it.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The reason i hate them is they are the biggest eye sore around. If they were a positive for the state i would put up with that eye sore. I have talked to people in the industry and have been told that the cash it costs to put them up and maintanence to keep them running is more than what they produce. The CEO of a company is not going to keep doing the same thing and losing money so why in the hell do people keep pushing wind farms. Its a lose/lose as far as i am concerned.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let me be the one lone voice on this site to support wind farms. I get that a lot of the power generation goes out of state. I get that right now being being environmentally friendly is a political issue. Republicans/Conservatives own the issue of burning coal because its cheap. Liberals own the issue of environmentally friendly to save the earth. Why do we have to be political about it? I'm a conservative and I'm all for doing what makes this earth a cleaner place. I hate the looks of coal power plants. I hate the fact that they burn coal and pollute the air to a certain extent (the extent of which can be debated). Why can't we come together and just agree that we all want to live in a better place and it's our duty to do our best.

If our wind power goes out of state, who cares? It prevents coal burning in some other state. We all live on earth and have to stop being tribal about these issues.

I for one like the look of windmills. I think they are cool. Why can't ND be the wind power producer of America? We have the resources of wind, lets use it. Arizona and California can be the sun power producers. Christ we all want power. We just don't want to produce it in our backyard. We have to get over it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the wind towers actually helped the environment they might make sense. The inputs that go into them then along with the lack of longevity they can produce makes them a feel good band aid on a gaping wound.

How much diesel is burned just to build them? I would like to know if that has ever been broke down

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76