Older Dog Joint Health

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey ladies and gents. I have an 8 year old lab that’s starting to show his age. He had an injury to his rear leg last fall on duck opener and I shut him down for the season. He’s bigger, always has been, 85lbs and I know that’s part of the problem but he has been on Science Diet advanced age for 2 years that has the glucosamine in it. Still, he’s starting to limp some again. I’m not sure he has any hunting left in him but I want him to be healthy and happy for as long as he can.

Is is there any additional things you guys do for your older dogs that work? Joint supplements or the like?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have a 14 year old shorthair that is still pulling me on my bike - baby aspirin ---keeps the heart healthy too.

- - - Updated - - -

gatorade stuff for dogs too ---they need to be hydrated to keep the muscles from freezing up.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start giving him these, you can get them at WallyWorld for like $13 for a bag of 90. I have a lab that weighs roughly 88-90 pounds and I have been giving him these for the last couple years. You'd never guess he's 11 by how well he gets around and the energy he has.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^Yep these chews from Walmart worked great for my pup, and i know others who use them as well. He was noticeably less stiff after a day of hunting.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
great info guyz,never herd of this vetiq? old school here after 50 + years of aging bird dogs baby asprin was my "goto" after long days in the field now my 6 yr old retriever is favoring his right shoulder was hoping he would skake off the ailment but its been a couple weeks might give this vetiq a whirl..... thanx for the info gents.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used this stuff for my lab and it made a big difference. Just remember, once you start a supplement, you need to keep giving it every day. It takes time to build up in the system in order for it to help. You can also just buy glucosamine/chondrotin supplements for humans, but I found that the beef flavored stuff was the way to go. Much easier to get them to take it. Rimadyl also helps a lot, must get prescribed from a vet.

https://www.petsmart.com/dog/dental...hewable-tablets---beef-13240.html?cgid=100236

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76