It's our first time going to Wolf Creek, Lake Sakakawea

Kaefriesz

The husband, daughter, and I are loading up the camper and heading out after work today! Yay! Looks like we have a rainy weekend ahead of us unfortunately for camping wise, but to us that just means more shore fishing! None of us have ever fished Lake Sakakawea so I'm looking for advice! Husband likes walleyes, daughter is just happy to catch a fish, and I like fishing for pike, BUT I see there are catfish in the area?? I really want to catch one of those to see what it's like!! If anyone has any advice for how the fish on the lake are reacting, that would be great! We've been mostly fishing Devil's Lake and Alkaline this year so I'm excited for a change of scenery.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
From shore, Leech on a floating jig 2'-4' below your weight. For catfish move the weight down to 12-18" from the float and swap to a crawler.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
^this. Ive had luck just setting a regular jig on the bottom with a crawler as well. Put a bell on the rod tip, sit back drink beer and wait for the bell the ring right before dark to just after you may run into some walleyes cruising in off the bottom to feed in the shallows.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
weight then 12" of lline to a floating crawler sitting on the bottom will catch just about anything

Last edited:

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
crawler, minnow, cut up pieces of smelt, cut goldeye, chicken livers (turkey livers are tougher but harder to find).

I cut up smelt and use a smaller circle hook and catch a lot more fish than with a whole smelt.

Last Saturday night I caught 15 cats 2 lbs to 5 lbs a 33 inch northern and 2 white bass all on cut goldeye. I used about 1 inch by 2 inch pieces of goldeye filet with the skin on for bait.

I just slip on a sliding weight and put a split shot on line a foot or so above the hook, almost all the hookups are in the corner of the mouth.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75