Fined for shed hunting

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
15k for going on Federal land when it was closed to shed hunting. He didn't even take them off at that point only collected them into piles.
Wow, definitely sounds like overkill. I wonder what his background is that he got hit so hard.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
When we were in Rock Springs, Wy in the early 70's I seem to remember that the area north of Jackson where elk were fed over the winter the sheds were reserved for the Boy Scouts to collect and sell to raise $$$ for the Scouts. Don't know if that was where he was or not. Penalty does seem severe tho.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
They do that is what’s left of them after the wolves have decimated that herd

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
These are wintering grounds for the elk. The sheds are worth $$$. Let people run around out there and the elk will become stressed. I saw this on the Wardens show out of Montana and the opening of some of these grounds to shed hunting in the spring is a big deal.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Criminally clever guy trying to cheat the honest folks who wait for legal season.

He’d have gotten away with it too.. if it weren’t for those meddling kids and their talking dog.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
good grief... stockpiling antlers

what next? stockpiling walleyes in hampers?

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
15k for going on Federal land when it was closed to shed hunting. He didn't even take them off at that point only collected them into piles.
Wow, definitely sounds like overkill. I wonder what his background is that he got hit so hard.

I am guessing he got slapped hard because he was doing it as a business. It said at the end of the article that he was selling the antlers as dog chews.

Whenever you get busted breaking the law in an effort to make a buck, the penalties seem to go up. And I don't necessarily disagree with that.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy runs a big business on this stuff and had another 400 pounds stashed out in the woods. Going by what they say they got at last year's auction the stuff is worth about 15 dollars a pound. He main sight is down but I think this is his online store front. A number of Articles referred to him as an antler Tycoon weather that's deserved or not I don't know but he's definitely not your average Joe Blow just walking the woods picking up an antler here and there.

https://www.americanantlerdogchews.com/

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://billingsgazette.com/news/st...cle_d4354766-9b9f-52b9-be5e-bff1bb39c2c5.html

what a freaking loser

- - - Updated - - -

"In April 2016, officers were alerted to unknown people unlawfully entering the National Elk Refuge and Bridger-Teton National Forest. When officers arrived, they discovered a hidden cache of freshly cut elk antlers that were cut into various sizes and buried in the ground. They subsequently searched other areas and found more than 15 caches of elk antlers that had been cut and hidden in a similar fashion.Officers began surveilling the caches on May 1 when antler collection was opened to the public. On June 2, 2016, they stopped a truck pulling a horse trailer as it was leaving the Bridger-Teton National Forest. The driver was Rae. Officers found 104 pounds of cut elk antlers inside his stock panniers that were determined to be from the hidden caches. Officers later collected antlers from the remaining cache sites, which weighed an additional 410 pounds."

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Based on the $20.78 for an approximately 7.5 length of antler, he's getting a hell of a lot more than $15 a pound.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the new information that the dude was doing it as his business, he got what he deserved and may have even gotten off light. I retract my above comment.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Based on the $20.78 for an approximately 7.5 length of antler, he's getting a hell of a lot more than $15 a pound.
Yeah they based that on the big annual sale in Jackson hole so thoses numbers would technically be more along the lines of wholesale so probably cheaper than his.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy runs a big business on this stuff and had another 400 pounds stashed out in the woods. Going by what they say they got at last year's auction the stuff is worth about 15 dollars a pound. He main sight is down but I think this is his online store front. A number of Articles referred to him as an antler Tycoon weather that's deserved or not I don't know but he's definitely not your average Joe Blow just walking the woods picking up an antler here and there.

https://www.americanantlerdogchews.com/

this is from the website I think it is another company

About us & Our Antlers
Our parent company, American Natural Resources, is a rustic furniture
manufacturer specializing in antler chandeliers, tables, shelf units, etc. ANR
has been an active business since 1968 and is located in Griffith, Indiana,
part of the greater Chicago area. Our American Antler Dog Chews are cut and
packaged at this location. Actively buying tons of antlers a year allows us to
provide our customers with high quality antlers at a great price.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74