That time I should have died...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
threads like this make me queasy

Remembering what I did as a teenager, and having kids that are now entering their teens makes me queasy!

- - - Updated - - -

Statute of limitations is 5 years?

- - - Updated - - -

or 10?

Legally? That depends on your crime.

With some spouses, infinity seems shorter.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had something initially typed but was too embarrassed to share feeling like an idiot. Now after reading a few i don't feel so bad hahaha (kidding, kind of)...

A friend and I were in college and wanted to do some ice fishing. Not having any money we couldn't venture far so we decided that the red was a good place to go and neither of us really knew what we were doing. Ended up punching holes straight East of El Zagel, found 4 inches max, most were around 2. Not knowing any better we sat there for a few mins before deciding it was not safe. Should have probably broken through and pulled under the ice. Still get goosebumps thinking how dumb that was.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I eluded death more then few times as a wee lad:

1. Riding a mini-bike when I was probably around 10 going way too fast I hit some bumps and as I flew up in the air I let go of the handle bars and felt like super man flying thru the air. The landing and subsequent road rash was not pleasant. This was before helmets were an after thought, my parents would have been arrested many times over had I been born 10 years later, or just smarter...

2. Riding a 3 wheeler when I was 12. Once again speed played a critical roll in this, doesn't it always? Going down a slight incline too fast over rough terrain and yep rolled it several times. Found myself laying in a heap with a very painful leg. Somehow got back on the mangled machine and made it home. A trip to the ER and a bit of a hospital stay for a broken leg and torn knee ligaments but no smarter for the experience. I think I was one of the leading examples for why 3 wheelers were eventually banned. Funny thing is we still have this thing and she runs great yet.

3. When I was about 14 the neighbor kids had some elevated tree houses/forts built over a swampy area in their pasture. We had strung a zip line between them. There was about 2-3 feet of water with an inch or so of ice approximately 6-8 feet below the forts. Yep the handles on the pulley just happened to bust while I was half way across. I think I skipped at least once before breaking thru and finding the mucky bottom. Only a few bruises and minor hypothermia.

I'll add more when I recover the memories from my next therapy session.......

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Long story short, traveling east on i94 going 75 mph. Had just passed through Valley City when the brodozer I was driving hit ice and spun like a top. Sailed backwards into 3’ of powder. The dog was a little shaken up but the vehicle and 100 lbs of sausage was just fine. Got pulled out by a wrecker and went on my merry way. I’m too stupid to have been shaken up by the ordeal.

B7EE9A3F-139D-469C-99F1-E579918D4FB8.jpg

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Driving my dad's full-size GMC Awesome 80's van back from Fargo (to Bismarck). Mom in the passenger seat, dad sleeping in back. Go under an overpass, and the wind hits as we drive onto ice. I'm going about 70. Van bucks straight sideways, pointing north. I turn the wheel into the skid, foot off the gas, no touchie the brake. Eventually it drifts back straight, about the same time as we run out of ice.

About 5 minutes later, I thought I was going to vomit.

Also, in my early 30's, I was installing steel siding on a house, and we were just wrapping up the job. I was putting the A/C box back onto the siding, and had a long 1/4" magnetic nut driver extension in my trusty DeWalt cordless drill. Self-tapping screw in the back of the box, just drilling into the new siding.

The chuck on the drill was rubbing on hot 220VAC wire. Rubbed through. The whole entire house went hot briefly. I fell backwards off the short ladder, landed on my butt in the grass. The two guys with me happened to not be touching the house for the brief time that it was hot. Had to replace a couple of charred pieces of siding in a corner. The bit was tack-welded into my drill, never to be removed again.

Electricity bad.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
JayKay and Allen, I will forever watch local news reports of tragic and untimely deaths pondering, “I wonder if that was JayKay or Allen...”

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Long story short, traveling east on i94 going 75 mph. Had just passed through Valley City when the brodozer I was driving hit ice and spun like a top. Sailed backwards into 3’ of powder. The dog was a little shaken up but the vehicle and 100 lbs of sausage was just fine. Got pulled out by a wrecker and went on my merry way. I’m too stupid to have been shaken up by the ordeal.

FB_IMG_1597191637279.jpg

All the AR's and optics survived too i assume? Notice i didnt ask about the glocks... A 1911 however is losing every pin and spring in this ordeal.

TacVan, sha, sha, shaaaa

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
JayKay and Allen, I will forever watch local news reports of tragic and untimely deaths pondering, “I wonder if that was JayKay or Allen...”

Sad part of all this is I may have intentionally left out a couple of the dumber episodes of my ill-spent youth. Those generally take a few beers before I admit to them, even though I am pretty sure the statute of limitations that Wags worries about have long since taken effect. :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Jesus, JayKay...not even I've ever been zapped by siding!

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was about 16 and my task for that saturday was to replace all the teeth on the harrow. So I backed the harrow up to the shop and left it up so I could easily access all the bolts to replace the teeth. I was mostly working on the back side of the implement but there was one bolt being stubborn which caused me to walk around to the front to get a better angle on it. As soon as I get to the front and go to put the wrench on it BOOM, the hydraulic hose blows causing the whole thing to go crashing to the ground. Eight seconds earlier when I was on the back side of the harrow I would have been crushed. I learned after the fact there was a place to put a safety pin which would have avoided the situation.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
In high school during Christmas break I had drove through some deep snow to get to an old abandoned farm that always had cottontails. I had never walked past the old house and snow had banked up deep on the west side. As I walked around that side the ground dropped out from under me. The snow had banked over the uncovered opening of an old water cistern. The old bolt action 22 Marlin hung up on both sides. I'm not good at pull ups, but I came out of that hole fast. I looked back in to see many bones. I don't know if they were raccoon or what, but there would have been no way out. The sides sloped outward and it looked ten or twelve feet deep. I didn't tell anyone where I was going, and my white car wasnt that visible in the snow and trees.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
In high school during Christmas break I had drove through some deep snow to get to an old abandoned farm that always had cottontails. I had never walked past the old house and snow had banked up deep on the west side. As I walked around that side the ground dropped out from under me. The snow had banked over the uncovered opening of an old water cistern. The old bolt action 22 Marlin hung up on both sides. I'm not good at pull ups, but I came out of that hole fast. I looked back in to see many bones. I don't know if they were raccoon or what, but there would have been no way out. The sides sloped outward and it looked ten or twelve feet deep. I didn't tell anyone where I was going, and my white car wasnt that visible in the snow and trees.

Yeesh. This story in particular, makes me feel clammy.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
friend i was with takes me into a ditch sideways at 110 mph got lucky, cousin of mine on sak. tried to drown if it wasn't for the guy with the intertube who knows how that would have turned out. scorpion sled brake i only torn the 1 ski off on a tree. My speech to my daughter was along with other stuff you will brush death at least 3 times in your life and hopefully you can talk about it later.

R@nger_BO@TS

Honored Member
One day fishing on goose lake we had just caught a perch and my son looks over to the heater and the hose was in flames and just about to the propane tank and luckily enough we got up and through ice on it well opening the door to the ice house

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heavy subject.
Been several times that I feel REAL lucky but the one that stands out happened about 5 years ago.
I snuck in by canoe into a secluded spot in the a. m. dark to bowhunting.
Uneventful sit but while getting back into the canoe ( steep river bank), the seat support broke and my foot got pinned underneath.
Hard to put into detail but the canoe turned sideways and started sinking fast.

I had just enough wits to lunge for the bank which was almost vertical.. I only had enough reach to get my fingers dug into the mud.
I'm a very strong fellow and it took EVERY single bit of what I had to pull me and a 3/4 canoe full of water to the shore wall.
Got my foot unstuck, crawled up the bank and sat there crying like a baby for a while.
One more gallon of water and I don't think I could have done it.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heavy subject.
Been several times that I feel REAL lucky but the one that stands out happened about 5 years ago.
I snuck in by canoe into a secluded spot in the a. m. dark to bowhunting.
Uneventful sit but while getting back into the canoe ( steep river bank), the seat support broke and my foot got pinned underneath.
Hard to put into detail but the canoe turned sideways and started sinking fast.

I had just enough wits to lunge for the bank which was almost vertical.. I only had enough reach to get my fingers dug into the mud.
I'm a very strong fellow and it took EVERY single bit of what I had to pull me and a 3/4 canoe full of water to the shore wall.
Got my foot unstuck, crawled up the bank and sat there crying like a baby for a while.
One more gallon of water and I don't think I could have done it.

Woof. The butt puckereth greatly

- - - Updated - - -

All the AR's and optics survived too i assume? Notice i didnt ask about the glocks... A 1911 however is losing every pin and spring in this ordeal.

TacVan, sha, sha, shaaaa

I can see how it might look like a minivan in the picture, but it’s half buried in snow and at a weird angle. It’s actually a full-size SUV.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sad part of all this is I may have intentionally left out a couple of the dumber episodes of my ill-spent youth. Those generally take a few beers before I admit to them, even though I am pretty sure the statute of limitations that Wags worries about have long since taken effect. :cool:

You're amongst friends here Allen...go ahead and share...we won't tell!

- - - Updated - - -

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
High marking in the hills in my 72 impala full of beers and boys. Had one we could never quite get before we spun out and started sliding backwards. To this day have no idea how we never rolled!!!
Not me but bff's brother slipped on the moss on the coffer dam while fishing,by the time we got there only thing left was his head so we pulled him out by his hair. He got pissed cause we were laughing and the one of 500 brother fights they had ensued.
Being hit by a Roague wave on lake Erie 15yrs. ago!!! Blew the bubbles off, both depthfinders alot of tackle and the boat 98% full of water. And oh yeah NO life jacket on;:;banghead
More 9 lives later. lol

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Man...after reading all these shared stories from our past, anyone ever think what we do for R&R some people would think is crazy...tempting fate maybe? As we get older and have more "life experiences"...our definition of normal and mundane maybe becomes a bit more sketchy to the faint of heart. My wife don't like me boat fishing alone...let alone ice fishing alone...yet to me it's just another day going out. I don't know...I did put my life jacket on Friday when I left the dock with wind and rain staring me in the face on Sak. Course then I took it off soon as I got in the bay where I wanted to fish! Be safe out there gents...take care of yourself and anyone that crosses your path...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

You're amongst friends here Allen...go ahead and share...we won't tell!

- - - Updated - - -

LOL. you're in luck as I just finished a beer.

Back again in the rodeo days, my good friend and I saw a rodeo at a place we had never heard of before. Basically out about halfway between Maxbass and Newburg. Being somewhat adventurous and looking for new gals to chase, we headed up there on a Friday night because we thought it had a dance as well. It may have been the least exciting place for a rodeo (sorry to all the Newburgers and Maxbassers, but this was circa 1983). Anyway, we found ourselves cruising on in to Newburg to scout the offerings. There were only two cars cruising around that night, one was this little POS Chevy Citation, and the other held three gals that...umm, didn't hold our interest. Nonetheless, we stopped and chatted with the girls only to find out that nothing much happens in that town, and you best also be on the lookout for the local law enforcement. He, by the way, drives a Chevy Citation. LOL, what??? So Dale and I took these gals at their word and decided to head back to the rodeo grounds. I bet we weren't a mile out of town as it was getting dusk out and Dale says he has to pee so bad that if I didn't pull over right then and there he was going to piss in my car. Yep, I pulled right over.

About 45 seconds after he got out and started peeing, I see what sure looked like a Citation exiting town and coming our way. Oh shit, last thing I wanted was a MIP, so I yelled at Dale to get his ass in the car. Once he got in we were heading west and I brilliantly thought "we don't have enough distance between us and the rodeo grounds if he's planning on going there, following us, or ????. So I took a right on the first paved road going north, yep he being about a half-mile behind us, also turned north. You gotta understand, I've never been in this area before but I had a plan for distancing myself from the Po-Po where as I broached the top of a hill and could no longer see the headlights in the rearview mirror, I'd floor it for as long as I could and back off the pedal about when I thought the law going to crest the hill. After a few miles of doing this it dawned on me that I had no idea where I was except that I would likely hit Canada if I kept going north. Yep, after I crest a hill, I took a right and turned off my headlights (it was getting dark quick at this point). Damned if that set of headlights didn't also take a right! Again, not wanting a minor in possession, I floored it down a strange gravel road. Dumb, dumb, dumb for over about the 4th hill the road just T'd. SOB, the Rambler and I went off the T in the road at about 70, and right into a wheat field that a recent rainstorm had created a nice soft landing for us. Kersplash we went and at that point I was only worried about getting stuck, so I floored it again as we desperately sought higher ground. Eventually we came to a stop behind a tree row, and it was then I was defeated, out of the door I crawled in order to take a leak of my own and grab a damn beer. As I sat there cracking a beer, maybe 150 yds from the road, that little damn Citation crested the hill just before the T, stopped at the top of the hill and turned around.

Well Shiite, now we are out in the middle of someone's wheat field with a slough blocking the only way in that I knew. It took us almost an hour to navigate the high ground to the east and find our way onto another gravel road. SOB, that road took us right back into Newburg! We eased our way in and through town and headed out to the rodeo grounds. I kid you not, we just pulled into the rodeo grounds and jumped out of the car when that damn Citation pulled in. We walked like nothing was happening as the guy drove by and sure as hell, it WAS the Sheriff/cop. Thankfully, he was too busy eyeballing us to actually look in the direction of my car. There was wheat straw/mud hanging from the mirrors, bumpers, wheel wells, etc.

I tell you though, that 30-45 ft we were in the air before we hit the slough was an amazing Dukes of Hazard impression. I always felt really bad about the damage done to the crop, but being 16 or 17, I was way more worried about saving my own arse.

Sadly, that's not the only vehicle I've put in the water. I put an old 1970 F100 into Van Hook a couple years later driving straight through a 90 degree hard right. Luckily we had a hundred feet of cable out at the farm, because I needed every damn foot of it to pull that one out.

Like Wags says, Statute of Limitations is good!

- - - Updated - - -

Holy cow, I forgot about a blown tire that damn neared killed me.

I suppose it was 1987 and I had built a car to run at the State Fair's Enduro Race. On the way to Minot the day of the race I was driving my 1965 Ford Galaxy 500. The old Ford had power brakes, but a single cylinder for controlling both the front and rear brakes. We left New Town and somewhere over by about the Makoti area, I noticed the car was overheating and running short on power. Basically I was almost flooring it. So my friend Randy and I pulled over next to a slough to get some water for the radiator, within just a few minutes we had the temp gage back to within the normal range. As I put the car into gear to get back on the road, it...absolutely...woud...not...move! WTF?!?! Oh, and the brake pedal was harder than a virgin's wedding night pecker! Again, WTF? It didn't take long to figure out that the brakes, for whatever reason, were the problem. Being a poor mechanic, I decided to crawl under the car and back off the rear drum brakes. Seemed silly to me back then as well, but I was grasping at straws to get my car back on the road even though Randy's girlfriend had already stopped when she saw us on the side of the road. Anyway, as I laid under the car trying to manually back off the brakes, I noticed the brake drums were actually GLOWING and the little rubber insert you remove to back off the brakes had melted.

After I got the driver's side backed off, I started to slide over to the passenger's side when that tire exploded in my face. Notice how so many of these incidents include impacts to my face? Well, that was actually more of a surprise than painful to the face, but of course when you blow a damn tire...the car also FALLS 5-6 inches. Yep, the shock absorber bracket landed square on my ribs, ouch. If that danm car had fallen another half of an inch, I am sure I would have broken a few ribs. As it were, I just bruised a couple.

Well, the girls ended up giving us a ride to the State Fair and I raced with some pretty sore ribs. Everytime I took a left turn the seatbelts (I had more than one) dug into my sore ribs. That damn Enduro race though was one of the funnest 2 hours I've ever had in a car!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, the 500's issue was a faulty vacuum boost on the brakes. Strange thing to have go wrong in that fashion.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was 10 yrs old in the summer of 1969 and living in Oakes N.D. My Mom had just given my brother and I 25 cents to go to the swimming pool. We took the money and bought candy and pop and decided to go to the river and swim. Its 3/4 mile west of Oakes on the railroad track. We left are bikes by the tracks and walked out there. Now it my brother and Billy and Bobby Pier. Were standing on the bridge and know ones wants to be the first to bail off the bridge. Were maybe 12 to 15 ft from the water and me having more guts than brains said I will. I dove off the bridge and hit something in the water. When I came up I was just about out, I was seeing stars. And I remember hearing them screaming hes bleeding. It was like the movie Jaws, blood all over. I forgot how to swim or maybe just out of it from hitting my head. I remember going down a few times and pushed off from the bottom to shore. My brother came down off the bridge and gave me my shirt. I was wiping the blood out of my eyes and we took off for town. We ran to town and the blood was unbelievable. We stopped at 3 houses and know one was home and you never go in a house unless your invited, so we went from house to house. We finally walked in a house and my brother called my Mom and said I was hurt real bad. I remember taking a dish towel and wiping the blood off my face. And looking at the floor and all the blood, It looked like a crime scene. When my Mom showed up we went running out side and my Mom fainted in the car. My brother pulled her over and drove us to the hospital. I remember running into the emergency room. A Nurse came walking around the corner and when she seen me she dropped like a bad habit. Now Im thinking to myself this must be bad. Then a Dr came around the corner and seen me. He grabbed me and picked me up and in a room we went. Now I was in no pain at all, and remember hearing a lot of snipping. I walked out of the room under my own power, to my family and friends and said to my Mom, I didnt even get and stitches. I ended up with well over 100.

We told my Mom and Dad I wiped out on my bike and hit the railroad track so we woudnt get in trouble for swimming at the river. I should have broke my neck. Live and learn I guess

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75