Rust removal and trailer help

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I swung by Harbor Freight (realize it's cheap tools but it was on my way back to work after dropping off parts). Sand blasting would cost a bit more, but I'm sure the end result is better.

I'm not certain my little pancake compressor has enough oomph for the siphon blaster attachment they had ($25). A big bag of aluminum oxide was $45. Assuming I could get by with my compressors, that's not a terrible investment I suppose.

I bought a 60 grit flap wheel for $4 and I'm going to see how well that does. Between that, the wire cup brush and a standard wheel wire brush, I think I can hit a majority of the tight corners.

We shall see!

That flap disc will do well, perhaps just sandblast the inside corners where you can't get to with the other tools. Your little compressor should be fine for a few small spots. But once it's stripped, get it coated asap with something. A 2 part epoxy primer would be best. That raw exposed metal starts to rust virtually the same day you strip it. Aerosol can crap won't seal that coarse raw steel up well and it'll start rusting again very soon, maybe even within a week. You can get a cheap paint gun for 30-40 bucks. I recommend a gravity feed with a 1.4-1.8 tip. You can get epoxy primers at any auto paint store like Sherwin Williams, napa, autovalue, etc. It varies in price, cheap stuff is fine.

Last edited:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
now that you’re serious - don’t forget to wear proper PPE

should only set you back $100 or so

ha ha ha

10 cent dust mask, ear muffs that double for hunting season, and some goggles. I'm set :D

- - - Updated - - -

That flap disc will do well, perhaps just sandblast the inside corners where you can't get to with the other tools. Your little compressor should be fine for a few small spots. But once it's stripped, get it coated asap with something. A 2 part epoxy primer would be best. That raw exposed metal starts to rust virtually the same day you strip it. Aerosol can crap won't seal that coarse raw steel up well and it'll start rusting again very soon, maybe even within a week.

I assume I need to clean the service first to get the dust off? It can't be as simple as wiping down with alcohol I suppose...

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use a blow gun to remove the dust, then a rag with alcohol or wax n grease remover. I usually just use a blowgun because a rag will snag on the rough metal and leave fuzz n shit on the metal.

- - - Updated - - -

One med-heavy coat of epoxy, then 2 coats of you desired paint.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
problem with boat trailers is there ain't no way you can get at the inside of the tubing. i can only assume that there is some degree of rusting from the inside out. no?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
problem with boat trailers is there ain't no way you can get at the inside of the tubing. i can only assume that there is some degree of rusting from the inside out. no?

When I restored my boat trailer I used a long tube sprayer to coat the inside with rust Mort, a type of acid that converts and seals the rust.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member

Oh yes. Inside of metal is plenty rusty. When he built it, he neglected to account for drainage. One of them actually expanded and cracked from ice over the winter. I'm going to drill out drain holes on the four main metal supports so that doesn't happen again.

This truly is more of a utility trailer that doubles to hold a kayak/duct boat. So it's never been submerged, but it does get wet.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have a good power washer they clean a trailer really good. I have a gas powered one and can peel the paint off a truck if not careful. I have 4 nozzles and always power wash the trailers before I paint them. I have had very little peeling after painted.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
iron trailers are a bitch had to r&r my utility trailer every summer sand/paint was a bich even under coated it with linex,then this spring ponied up for a new aluminum trailer as the maintenence on iron was over whelming.Agreed with sand blasting unless the iron has rusted the metal thin good way to go.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76