weeds and fish

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was out fishing last night and I was marking a ton of fish that were in the weeds. I was casting along the weed line and catching some fish. However, I’m curious about how to target the fish that are in the middle of the weeds and aren’t set up along the weed lines. The weeds were 3 feet off the bottom and the total water depth was somewhere around 5 feet. Would casting a lipless bait over the top be enough to lure them out? Or, would casting a crankbait that dives shallow be the ticket?

Curious how you mark fish in the weeds...I've never been very good at identifying that. What kind of sonar?

3geese4me

Honored Member
Curious how you mark fish in the weeds...I've never been very good at identifying that. What kind of sonar?

I saw them jumping out of the water. I have a helix 7 fish finder with down imaging and chirp/sonar.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
they make a shallow flicker now

I caught a dandy on devils with it early june

also

- - - Updated - - -

#5 over weeds

dirtymike.jpg

Shadow Raps, in the Shad variety, in the shallow variety, can be fished in very skinny water. They run maybe 3 ft in current on a retrieve, and are slow rising when stopped. They rattle, are heavy so they cast well even into the wind, and if Dirtymike gets ahold of them, they're "eye popping".

See attached.

Alternately, Flat Raps run a foot or so deep on retrieve, and float like a cork on retrieve. Again, once Dirtymike has his way, the colors are stupendous.

Both of those lures are great, but the "natural" colors sometimes lack.

Jaykay

Edit: First column is Shadow Rap Shads - Shallow
Second column is Shadow Rap Shads (first two are deep), then a couple of Flat Raps.
Lure on the right is a standard Shadow Rap (deep)

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a fella out flyfishing for walleyes yesterday in an area that looked like it was weedy.

He seemed to be catching more on whatever presentation he was using than our crawler harnesses.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I absolutely "LOATHE" flicker shads but will give a passing grade to the shallow runners simply due to there price tag & the fact they work.
they make a shallow flicker now

I caught a dandy on devils with it early june

also

- - - Updated - - -

#5 over weeds

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spinnerbait walleyes. It really works!!! Take a smaller colorado or indiana bladed spinnerbait, cut the skirt off, and replace with a 4.5 inch paddle tail of your choice. Run that sucker over and through the tops of the weeds and get ready. The eyes just about yank the rod out of your hands. I've done it several times in the exact situation you are describing. Good Luck and you're welcome.

Upper Echelon walleye fisher people would never stoop down to lowly bass baits and tactics, never have never will (chuckle chuckle).

Northland Tackle make good spinnerbaits and a decent price, or at least used to. Used to do like KDM mentioned or even a bigger profile grub with and without the plastic skirt on the spinner. Set up right and correct weight for the situation you can run them sub surface or 20 FOW, various types of vegetation and around sunken wood, and a variety of retrieves and pause cadences.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Few years ago at Nothgate those guys from Bismarck with their Innertubes and Frogfeet would catch really nice Walleyes with their Fly Rods in the weed bed on southside, all we would catch is the little dinks with minnows and nightcrawlers

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I absolutely "LOATHE" flicker shads but will give a passing grade to the shallow runners simply due to there price tag & the fact they work.

I used to hate them and now they are what I use(flicker shads). They have improved their tuning out of the pack by a big margin. The new jointed flickers are money too.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
Results of a beetle spin in the shallows above weeds!
Beetle Spin Catch.jpg

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
when I get the chance in Bismark I go to Dakota Tackle, they have a selection of the beetle spins without the jig, different sized and colors. I use them at Northgate and catch walleye, crappie, bluegill and the occasional smallmouth and of course them dam trout. Other lakes I have caught perch, pike, largemouth, catfish, white bass and even drum. they are my go to lure.

I like the red and white beetle spins I have gotten at Dakota Tackle and with variety of sizes I can go with a 1/16 oz up to an ounce jig with a 4 inch rubber minnow style on the larger jigs.

years ago I used them while in a rowboat, I would row up wind dragging them along and then float with the wind trolling them, worked great on suspended crappie.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wife and I were out fishing on Friday and true to this thread the walleyes were in the weeds at xxxxxxxx lake. Only boat out there until we were leaving. Going back on Monday for another fun day.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
These are on sale

cabelas110x31.gif
[h=3]Cabela's Go-To Colorado Willow Spinner-Shad[/h]
CLOSEOUT.jpg

• Spinning, flashing and wildly enticing action
    • Two realistic Strike King KVD Swim-N-Shiner bodies
    • Motion-filled silicone skirt and a 3-D eye on the rear blade
    • Strong wire bait keeper secures the shad trailer
Try out the spinning, flashing and wildly enticing action of our Go-To Colorado Willow Spinner Shad for truly aggressive results. Comes equipped with two lifelike, 4.5”-long Strike King® KVD Swim-N-Shiner bodies, a motion-filled silicone skirt and a 3-D eye on the rear blade. Strong wire bait keeper secures the shad trailer.
Sizes: 3/8 oz., 1/2 oz., 3/4 oz.
Colors: (001)Chartreuse/White, (007)White, (011)Blue Shad, (021)Firetiger

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84