Snoodie Goes To Alaska

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
DH Customs painted up some 16 oz. jigs for this years Alaska saltwater fishing trip. Uncle Jimbo and I met my friend Brian for 3 days of fishing on his 30' boat the LINE STRETCHER.

IMG_0311.jpg

ON DAY ONE we turned LEFT out of Resurection Bay and fished on the outside of Montigue Island, about 85 miles out. We got our six halibut along with some dog sharks. Fishing was slow and the fish were smaller.

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

Uncle Jimbo had big halibut day one with close to a 80# fish. We formulated a plan over a well earned Captain and Coke back at the dock after the fish were cleaned.

- - - Updated - - -

ON DAY TWO we dropped our fish filets off at the processer and put $400 worth of gas in Line Stretcher and off we went at 36 MPH but this time we turned RIGHT out of Resurrection Bay and continued on to the NUKA Bay area.

Snoodie really shined this day, I happened to snag a big octopus and Brian and I were able to relieve him of three of his tentacles before he fought us off and made his escape. Well a chunk of octopus on a 16 oz. snoodie with a 10" twister tail looks and smells like a halibuts favorite food !! Things were about to get fun.

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

We also found some 100 Y/O Yellow Eye's

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

This last fish was caught by Uncle Jimbo I was just getting ready to cut it up and Brian snapped my pic. Awesome fish !!

IMG_0309.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brings back some great memories of trips gone by. Snoodie seems to travel well. Hope to see more great pics so I can be even more jealous. Congratulations on some fine fish.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Getting back to the dock that night we didn't need Captain and Coke to fiqure out our day three spot. But we had some anyhow after the fish were cut up. We also collected salmon carcasses to fill the bait bag that we were hanging off the chain just above the anchor.

DAY THREE, We caught more big Yellow Eyes and our six halibut but we hooked into two big fish. Uncle Jimbo's was huge Brian and I agree we have never seen a halibut head shakes so big and pull as hard as his fish fought. Unfortunatly the fish pulled the hook after about 5 minutes. Pic is of the big fish on.

IMG_0374.jpg

Earlier in the day I caught my personal best halibut a 64" hog about 135#s

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

I want to thank Captain Brian ! and DH Customs for the Snoodies also there is one hell of a pissed off 5 legged octopus that helped make this a great trip.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Been to Alaska one on fishing trip. Had a friend who had their own boat. Definitely should be on everyone who likes to fish bucket list. Halibut, king salmon, silver salmon, yellow eyes, and other fish I've forgotten. Great time.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couple pics of the FV Line Stretcher. 500HP burned about 110 gallons a day but we traveled hundreds of miles to find less pressured fish.

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

And this is our fish as we picked it up from the flash freeze locker.

IMG_0357.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Long live the pentapus! Congrats on an awesome trip, Huff. I will be up next year.
Yes you will even if I need to get out the ether and zip ties !!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Long live the pentapus! Congrats on an awesome trip, Huff. I will be up next year.

If you're looking for someone to jabber with, on the trip up, I know of a guy. His kids could help watch your kids, to make the whole thing sail a little smoother.

Man! What does a guy use to cut those big 'buts up? A broadsword, straight out of a Conan movie?

Huff, are you going to make some more Halibut Bread? Ohh, that was good..!

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
Great write up and a GREAT trip!!! The rodeo getting the 135# fish in the boat won’t soon be forgotten.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
200#s hasn't been broken but i think it is close. Next year it will be between kitten paws and Uncle Jimbo to beat it. I'm the harpoon guy with the blue yummie in his hand.

Oh we bought a whole store out of Bush light !! How many people can say they did that ??

- - - Updated - - -

If you're looking for someone to jabber with, on the trip up, I know of a guy. His kids could help watch your kids, to make the whole thing sail a little smoother.

Man! What does a guy use to cut those big 'buts up? A broadsword, straight out of a Conan movie?

Huff, are you going to make some more Halibut Bread? Ohh, that was good..!

Couple pics of the butchering process

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0368.jpg

I'm getting better at making the filets fall off, on a positive note there were no brawls at the fish cleaning station this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Great write up and a GREAT trip!!! The rodeo getting the 135# fish in the boat won’t soon be forgotten.

see if i can hang video

Last edited:

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Makes me yearn to go back......I have a return trip on my short list of things to do.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you taking Shanayzilla with you or is she not cleared for airline travel?

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind. Forgot you are probably hitch hiking.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76