Fkn catepillars.....

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Looks like a good knock down. That's a new product to me. What's the active ingredient?
Found the active ingredient. Imidacloprid, which is a neonicotinoid. That explains the quick knockdown. Also, a good product with an LD50 (mammals) of >5000 mg/kg for skin exposure so is also a very safe product to use around the house. Even better than tempo if you look at from a purely safety standpoint.
I guess I didn't look at the active ingredients, I just went looking for something that said it would kill sawflies and this did. It also listed the acephate as the chemical on the front. The gal I talked to at plant perfect said she has delt with these bugs with her roses and it worked well.
Crap, I should probably check my ponderosa, dont really want to spray a bunch of trees...
I don't even know where they came from, but both my neighbor and I got them. I walked around the other neighbors trees to see if he has any and he didn't at this time.
I'm a far smaller customer, but Cashmans Nursery in Bismarck has sold me that same product, and it's wonderful. I only have four trees, but they're too tall to reach with the sprayer/hose. Or at least, I can't reach the tips. Maybe 30 to 40 ft? Anyhow, that same product, being systemic, eventually makes its way through the entire tree. So, you don't have to have direct contact with each and every leaf.I have used a jug per summer, for the past four summers. It's not cheap, but it works well.
glad to hear u have had good results with it. yes expensive for sure. I took the green bugs to cashmans and they couldn't tell me what it was. They thought it was cankerworm and looking at pics and comparing I decided to seek other opinions. The gal at plant perfect told me to make sure I drench the trees so that's what I did. glad to hear I don't have to do that. Man does that stuff stink though. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Wow - what a scourge pest. I can't believe the damage in those pics. :mad:
that's not enough the worst one of mine. I will take new pics and post them later

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy hell ktm450. I thought they nipped my trees pretty good but after seeing your pics I feel lucky I may have caught them a little sooner. I feel your pain, losing trees sucks, not cheap

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
Holy hell ktm450. I thought they nipped my trees pretty good but after seeing your pics I feel lucky I may have caught them a little sooner. I feel your pain, losing trees sucks, not cheap
it sucks, im just hoping the trees will come back healthy and not look funny with a bunch of needles missing. I should have been paying attention more, I haven't given the trees the attention this year like normal as the weeds haven't been too bad and the need to water them hasn't happened. This wont happen again that's for sure. Let me know how your battle goes with your trees.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a grade schooler, I spent a Saturday one summer taking out potato beetles in the garden.

I'd never seen them before, but they were lousy thick.

Filled my Super Soaker and had the hose ready for reload. Would knock them off the leaves and then grind them into the dirt with my feet when enough were wounded.

Would you believe I managed to clear out two full rows of russets that way? After that, there were only a handful to return and we'd dispatch them quickly on sight.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
do these little fkrs just hit young trees or any size? i have 100+ mix of blacks hill spruce and blue spruce and havent noticed any of these yet but i havent looked real closely at every one. my trees are prolly all 10ft plus though.
i checked for wasp super nests last night all clear guess ill go home and look at my trees for these little fkrs

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
do these little fkrs just hit young trees or any size? i have 100+ mix of blacks hill spruce and blue spruce and havent noticed any of these yet but i havent looked real closely at every one. my trees are prolly all 10ft plus though.
i checked for wasp super nests last night all clear guess ill go home and look at my trees for these little fkrs
I know very little on what trees they prefer but so far is havent noticed anything on any of my long needles and is a blue spruce right between the two fir trees that is also unaffected. Due to time constraints I couldnt get tempo so had to settle for sevin and malathian sp.? Doused the trees on sunday and have been out of town all week so I hope it worked.

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member

I thought I read somewhere that the trees most attacked are in that 5-7 year range. I can't remember where I read it, have done way too much research on it to remember exactly. But I do know both my neighbors and my trees are in the 5-7 year range.

- - - Updated - - -

Here Are the pics. The one shows what most trees look like of my 21 affected. The other two of the tree that I think they hit first and I don't think it's gonna make it .

Attachments

IMG_20190702_064700.jpg IMG_20190702_064614.jpg IMG_20190702_064607.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yikes!! Hope you don't get to the "Do Over" stage with your trees. Digging up and replacing expensive conifers just plain SUCKS!!!

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
just and update, all the caterpillars have sense died and I don't see anymore. Trees looked to be doing as soon as they were when I sprayed them. Fingers crossed the growth that was ate off will come back next year. The next concern I have is a good friend of mine that lives about .5 mile away has a bug/mite fly like thing that is eating the leafs off his trees now. doing some research to see what that is going on.whats the deal with all these bugs this year??

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77