Hummingbird Autochart Question(where is the map stored)

Joshua79

Founding Member
Founding Member
Okay I have a hummingbird Helix 7 g2n side imaging unit... I have updated the base maps on the bird no issues and now have the latest software. I also run a zero lines card for capturing autochart live map data. Absolutely love it. However I see you can now upload via bluetooth maps to the bird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M1eGiTkE5U

For reference. It looks like I can download a Sakakawea Package Download all available Multilayers for Sakakawea. (7.67 GB) $44.99 for bundle of all layers

Would be nice but will this new map save to the unit itself or at least to my zero lines card? And anyone know the quality of this map?

Thank you

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure I would try and do the Sakakawea package through blue tooth and your cell phone. I had my new boat rigged with Helix 10's and decided to save a few bucks and go through the chart select process to purchase mapping of Sakakawea for each of the units since I pretty much fish Sakakawea exclusively and the Helix units will not share the mapping information across the network. What I found, is although it's supposedly only 8 gb worth of data, it required a 32 gb card which is outlined on the website. My first attempt to download onto a 10 or 12 gb card failed as the card was too small apparently. Second attempt worked however it took like 2 hours to download the map onto the SD card via my home laptop. The lakes he mentions are in his words "big" at 200 megabytes worth of data, not gigabytes. After going through the process I'd be concerned about some interruption in connectivity or otherwise knowing how long it took mine to simply download directly to a card.

As far as storage, I know the units themselves have a fair amount of built in storage as they will store around 10 or 12 hours of auto-chart live data internally without a card, I presume that's what he did in the video. Not sure if you can force it to write the map to your zero line map card as installed, or if f you would need a blank SD card, that might be worth a call to the humminbird support line. I know way points will store to a lake master card as I moved mine and was presently surprised when all of my points showed up. I assumed they stayed with the unit unless you were to download them to a separate card

reddevilwoodsman

Established Member
For reference. It looks like I can download a Sakakawea Package Download all available Multilayers for Sakakawea. (7.67 GB) $44.99 for bundle of all layers

Would be nice but will this new map save to the unit itself or at least to my zero lines card? And anyone know the quality of this map?

Thank you
I downloaded basic Sakakawea contours (not the whole multilayer package) and the map stays on the card. The card that it's downloaded to has to be loaded to see the downloaded contour map. I find the accuracy of the contours to be very poor from what I've experienced.

Joshua79

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you both for reply's looks like it needs an additional card from what your both saying... however my 7 only has one card slot ... yep should have bought a 9in. Oh well I will live with the base maps and continue mapping on my own with auto chart live. Would have loved to run a lake master chip and the zero lines card but oh well. Will just use my phone and like a navionics map to find my area's then map them with auto chart.

Again thank you both.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75