Tires Cracked and Weather

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have some BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A tires on my Frontier that looked to be weathered and cracked. Got a flat pulling the boat to the lake yesterday. Problem is they're only about 3 years old and only have 30,000 miles on them. Bought them at Sears. Suppose I'm SOL on that one.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does it sit outside a lot?
Tires aren't made with the same good rubber compound of years ago. Doesn't take much sun to weather crack them and the foreign made ones are even worse usually.

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does it sit outside a lot?
Tires aren't made with the same good rubber compound of years ago. Doesn't take much sun to weather crack them and the foreign made ones are even worse usually.

Yes. It's outside all the time. I probably should have put some kind of tire protectant on them.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should be warrantied by the manufacturer. Many tire brands have a 50k +/- mile warranty. Find out what tire shop carries that brand and give them a call.

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
IMG_20190705_151126848.jpg

Here's a photo.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
bfg are horrable for weather checking. i have a old pickup that probably only gets a few hundred miles a year. bfg mud terran tread like new and weather checked bad bfg wont warranty them

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Time to switch to some Goodyear Wranglers?

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes when you buy tires they may not be manufactured in the year you bought them. DOT code on the tire wall will give you the year of manufacture similar to a Vin number gives you a lot of information. Tires that sit most of their lives or are outside most of their lives or both and are 7 years old or older are going to give you problems. Time to get rid of them!!

For tires manufactured in the year 2000 – present
The first two digits are the week of manufacture, and the last two digits are the year. For example, if the last four digits of the DOT code are 0203, that means that the tire was manufactured during the second week of the year 2003.

2Q==

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Going to have to replace my camper trailer tires this year. Tread is still good but weather checked bad but they are what was on trailer sence 2004 so that was a good run.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to have to replace my camper trailer tires this year. Tread is still good but weather checked bad but they are what was on trailer sence 2004 so that was a good run.

If you use that camper a lot you might want to changed them this year as when they blow they can do a lot of damage to a camper. Really messes up the tin/fiberglass, brake wiring/lights on a camper.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77