Transom Saver

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have a big engine --- you should have a transom savor if your going to pull it miles and miles. I have a bracket built in on mine and dont use one.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I only have a 50hp on my alumacraft but I still bought a transome saver before it even left the dealership. Mounts to trailor and has the big rubber V and I like it. Better safe than sorry and was less than 40 bucks, cheap investment.

Coldfront

Established Member
I bought a new 2011 Skeeter w/200hp Yamaha and it came with the two wedges for the steering rams and one wedge that had Yamaha written on it that slipped over the hyd tilt ram. I bought another skeeter in 2017 that had a jack plate which set the motor rear off the transom more but had the same setup right from the factory. I would say that being everything is Yamaha except for the trailer that Yamaha would want to make sure of no transom warranty issues. The main weight of the motor is in the motor head and not spread out equally over the length of the motor. So when the motor is tilted up for trailering the weight of the motor is kind of balanced I would say over the transom. The wedge that is used is to take care of the shock. I think each will work just fine. The transom saver that attach to the trailers I believe were used in the earlier years because a lot of boats had no hyd trim and nobody had invented the wedge. I used a 2X4 on my Lund Pro Angler in the 80's and never once ever had a problem.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Might just pick up a MyWedge and compare to the V saver I have now. Sure seems like using the wedge much simpler...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 18 seconds it takes to put the transom saver doesn’t warrant anymore thought, if it’s a challenge to find that amount of time to use it, but you have hours to research the why, than I guess getr done

Jiggernaut

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t understand why we’re so worried about transom savers when the hardest jarring that occurs on a transom is when you’re running across the lake in big waves and takeoff until the boat is on plane. To me, that’s way harder on the transom than going down the road on rubber tires....but what do I know, I’m just a doctor

I'm guessing what started this post was me telling him that I use the mywedge. As it was explained to me, the transom is designed to take some abuse, as Fiserman25 pointed out. The problem with the transom saver is the shock of bumps in the road and the transfer of the shock from the trailer to the lower unit and transom while going down the road.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^ not happening IF boat is secured to trailer with tie downs

- - - Updated - - -

everything moves in unison

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114