Elevated blinds... worth the hassle?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Elevated blinds are a PITA to move, more expensive, etc.

Are they actually better to any significant degree?

p.s. Used for both archery and firearms.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say they are worth it in some areas. Along river's edge, treed areas or in low areas with high vegetation, it allows you to get out of the eye sight of the prey. In the location I (used to) rifle hunt in ND, I would sit on hill side or enclosed blind.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I spent a couple evenings in an elevated blind last summer with the rifle. One evening in particular it was pretty eventful with all the deer around me. The next, not so much. Note, this was more of a stand though since it didn't have much in the way of shielding me from wary eyes and even less shielding me from the omnipresent wind as I frigging froze up on that totem pole.

I also built a fort out of 25 small, square bales of straw to use with the kids in filling their deer tags.

We LOVED the comfort of that bale blind/fort. Kept prying eyes from seeing the ever moving kids and we'd get deer up to about 6 feet away from us. In general though, I really like sitting au naturale on the countryside using lack of movement and native cover. I can't wait to get the kids to that level of calm.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the wind is pretty relentless where I'm hunting - almost always 10mph higher than surrounding areas

sometimes it's 30-40 mph all day long

a guy can still-hunt in the woods or lee sides of hills and that is still my favorite approach...

but a good vantage point on the terrain often simply means being very exposed - and that typically sucks in Nov-Dec in ND

so a full blind has to be an option - several in fact

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I cant wait for you to give up on your search and start building your own blinds. Tarp straps everywhere

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy of mine built a couple and he mounted them on top of a pair of old gravity wagons with running gear. Worked slicker than snot and he can move them wherever. He did weld some sort of rods with feet on all 4 corners just in case of wind so it doesn't rock when trying to get a shot. He can slide them up to move it and drop them down once he has it where he wants it.
Also seen where they built blinds on top of old combines. That looked pretty slick too.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
We put up 3 on our ground last year. Took a day but they are all secured. Hunted them last year and when you need a break from the weather they are fantastic.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don’t think I would care for the ‘being removed from the elements’ aspect of it. I realize that the cold and the snow and the rain and the wind suck but I kinda enjoy the suck if that makes sense. But I can understand how it would appeal to others.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've kicked this very topic around for years in my hunting circle. I think elevated blinds can improve the hunting experience and plan on building another one myself here in the near future. However, there are several factors for and against elevated blinds as well as inumerable personal preference issues. Here's some of what we've discussed.....

The Good: Out of the elements, Comfort levels are high (chairs/heaters/storage, etc.), movement concealed, noise reduction, scent control easier, deer ignore them after a few weeks, can have multiple hunters to share the experience.

The Bad: Deer patterns can and do change leaving you and your PITA to move, blind out of position. Elevated blinds are expensive to buy and then maintain. The higher the blind the more unstable you become. Safety considerations. High elevation means longer falls and deeper divots when you land. The blind will be unoccupied for 98% of the year, so weather and other critters (squirrels especially) will attempt/succeed in wrecking the entire thing over the course of the year. Multiple trips during the year may be necessary to ensure the blind will be working come opening day.

The Ugly: Jealous dolts like to shoot holes in blinds in the off season. Broken windows and ventilated walls suck. So visibility from the road might be something to consider.

Now onto the the other issues that have come up........

First: How well do you know your ground? Like you mentioned, elevated blinds can be a PITA to deal with. I wouldn't even consider one unless I knew the deer movement patters VERY well over the course of the entire season.

Second: How long do you plan on keeping and hunting the land? I would be much less inclined to deal with elevated blinds if I were looking to upgrade ground.

Third: How elevated? Higher might be nicer, but stablility, access, and other factors may make a shorter blind the better option. Gound blinds are essentially elevated blinds with zero elevation and LOTS of deer get taken out of ground blinds.

Fourth: How big and who is going to use it? I have found that hunting by myself out of a two man tree stand is MUCH more comfortable than using a single man stand. I have also found that when hunting with ladies or young hunters, that having more space makes the hunt infinitely more enjoyable. So for me and hunting solo, I would want enough space for two. If I were going to hunt with someone else, I would want space for 4.

Fifth: What material? Fiberglass molded blinds are light, durable, and relatively easy to deal with, but are noisy, cold, and tend to bend out of shape after a year or so in the field making doors, windows, and other openings not seal, squeek, and otherwise not work properly. The higher the blind, the worse these factors seem to get, however you can move these much easier than a wood blind. Custom wood blinds are heavy, expensive, and take time to build, but have almost none of the issues mentioned of fiberglass blinds AND you can put the windows/doors exactly where you want them. However, moving these is generally much more difficult if not impossible.

Sixth: Location of the blind and some factors to consider...... If in farm country, how is crop rotation going to affect deer movement? Are cattle a factor? Cattle just LOVE to rub on blinds and push them over. How does snowfall affect deer movement. On my land, there are certain locations that are real good until the first snow falls. Then there is 4 ft of snow where the stand is regardless of the amount that fell. When will you want to hunt the blind? Will the location be good early season as well as late season. Will the blind be good in the mornings as well as evenings? It all comes down to how the deer move on your property.

Finally: Can you influence any of the above with bait, food plots, tree plantings, and other property management techniques?

Sorry for the long winded response, but I've built 3 of these and only use 1 for the most part as several of the factors I mentioned above didn't work out for the locations of the other two and makes them basically unusable.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not elevated but portable :;:thumbsup, moved it yesterday actually. Just bolted n strapped it to an old snowmobile trailer with scissorjacks. The others I have like it aren't elevated but are stationary.
Used mostly for bow hunting thou, sure helps control scent and makes sitting from dark till dark a heck of allot easier when the weather sucks.
I get enough cold fresh air, sitting out in the elements when I sit in a tree stand up in Canada each November!
20200916_152847.jpg

Last edited:

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dang, I thought this thread was going to be about electric window dressings.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t think I would care for the ‘being removed from the elements’ aspect of it. I realize that the cold and the snow and the rain and the wind suck but I kinda enjoy the suck if that makes sense. But I can understand how it would appeal to others.

You are a special kind of stupid. :)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

I like the suck too. My problem is driving many hours to hunt when my schedule allows. If snowing and blowing 30mph I can hunt all day in a blind. If weather moderates I can stillhunt. It’s critical to have options. Without them it’s too easy to say “meh, not worth the long drive”.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
For children and old people they are the way to go. I can’t sit still long enough but a heated blind would be nice some times

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76