Elevated blinds... worth the hassle?

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
You’re a common kind of pussy.

Sorry you're butthurt....must be a Democrat. But you are not wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the suck too. My problem is driving many hours to hunt when my schedule allows. If snowing and blowing 30mph I can hunt all day in a blind. If weather moderates I can stillhunt. It’s critical to have options. Without them it’s too easy to say “meh, not worth the long drive”.

Same...land is 3 hours so when i go i want to be able to hunt it. Sit in the stands when we need to.

Last edited:

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely worth it for kids and people my age who don't like all day sits on very cold windy days. All we have into these three is the cost of windows and doors from the Menards discount section (maybe $75 per shack) and the heaters from TSC ($90.00 each), all other material is salvaged from demo projects. Also time to put them up. Each one is big enough to fit three and can easily shoot rifle and archery out of each, and each has food plots in front of them from 20 yards to 200 yards.
Blind 1.jpg
Blind 2.jpg
Blind 3.jpg
Heater.jpg

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like my enclosed blinds for when the wind is blowing hard and its very cold out. My buddy brought his daughter with rifle hunting last year and I doubt she'd have hunted all day had she not been in a heated blind out of the wind. I'm not sure I would have either as windy and cold as it was the first day. I really recommend a vented heater like the nuway stove as buddy heaters tend to fog windows up terribly.

I still do like to sit on hills out in the open and glass for deer. I find sitting outside in the open easier to take off and make a sneak if the right opportunity presents itself rather than trying to sneak out of a blind where might make noise getting out. That being said the older I get the less I enjoy laying on a hill for hours at a time. Hills don't seem as soft as they used to be as it makes everything hurt after a while. Sitting in a blind is just a lot more comfortable. Plus it seems in a blind I'm eating all day where I tend not to snack when outside in the cold as I don't want to take my gloves off.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
We put one up a few years back and the more I sit in it, the more I like it. However, there is nothing better than putting miles on the boots and popping over the next hill running into a group of deer. Or spotting a deer bedded down and stalking it.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0288.jpg

We move this guy around depending on where we have row crops, make sure you anchor that thing down.

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_0371.jpg
Because it sucks when you have to stand it back up and fix them.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
We made one very similar to USMCDI. We used a pickup frame and trailer jacks extended out a couple feet all 4 corners with a cement slab on frame. Sits up on a hill with great views, very comfortable and in a few years has never tipped over. Hell, doesnt move at all in the wind. And being portable has come in handy a couple times

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_20170827_124133726.jpg

One of the best investments I've made was buying a Redneck Blind. Have had it 3 years and it's with-stood every weather element. 70+MPH winds, blizzards, hail-storms. 2 summers ago we had a roof get completely blown off. Drove up to the blind expecting to have to fish it out of a coulee, just had to give the center anchor a couple turns on the turn buckle!

I almost built one, but after figuring out material cost and then adding in "build time", it was about the same cost. It took 2 hours from start to finish. That's assembly time, leveling, anchoring down, and cracking a cold one back at the truck. And best part is that if we ever leave that piece of ground, we can have it loaded on a trailer in an hour.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Son, son-in-law, and I recently built an elevated blind base. Plywood and dimensional lumber were a bit of a sticker shock. Now trying to decide whether to build the blind or purchase a shell blind ready-to-use. Guessing lumber and hardware would come relatively close to cost of a mid-range blind. Anyone have any recommendations on a 5X5 or 6x6 hard shell blind? We have three other elevated blinds and we enjoy spending time in them, sometimes just watching wildlife with g-kids.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
However, there is nothing better than putting miles on the boots and popping over the next hill running into a group of deer. Or spotting a deer bedded down and stalking it.

There's nothing that says you can't watch a deer bed down from the blind, then stalk it........

- - - Updated - - -

Blind/Skeet high house.

The most difficulty with blinds/stands/shooting hut/etc is really for the people who don't have them (that's me). 1st blind/stand goes up in an area and it works exactly like they think it will. People out moving deer, move deer into the area with the blind where people aren't moving deer. Then it expands with the, "Well, I'm not running all the deer off my place onto the neighbors............". Chance encounters go to nearly nil. Deer move when they want to, not when they have to, and it gets difficult to kill a deer outside of the morning and evening twilight hours. Deer that get used to 0 pressure, then won't put up with any. Walk or whiz in the wrong spot in a "Sanctuary" and one can witness the shuffle away of deer activity in that area or the switch to entirely nocturnal.

I'm not at all against blinds/stands. If I owned land, I'd probably have some, one must also though weigh the unintended consequences of greatly reduced chance encounters and deer movement in general.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79