Merc 150 prop?

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
All this talk about props had me thinking today. I have a 1850 reata with a merc 150 and a three blade 19 pitch tempest prop. With full fas tank, livewell, wife and three kids the hole shot itsnt anything fantastic. Does a four blade really make that much better hole shot while only sacrificing a couple mpg on the top end? I rarely go all out anyway so torque on the low end may be worth it.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would put a 17p on it... I'm going to guess you are 400-500 rpm from red line... my reata was a dig with a 19p always wished I would have put a 17 or 18... you have a big load with 4 people too

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious why the hole shot is so important. Are you on a deadline? If so, I would quit fishing since that is one of the main reasons I retired.

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fishin sak and devils there is always a chop and when sh** ends up getting ugly and climbing or keeping the nose outta the water i just wonder if it would be better to have. Last four years i havent even thought about it but all the chat had me thinking today

Aucker33

Established Member
Does your prop have the PVS plugs? Fixed my issue for 12 bucks.
Screenshot_20190708-195605_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious why the hole shot is so important. Are you on a deadline? If so, I would quit fishing since that is one of the main reasons I retired.
Hole shot is slang (my opinion) for getting up on plane. When it is slow then your boat is kind of plowing (struggling) again my opinion.

Props, Motors and Boats are a three way mix what works for one is no guarantee of working for your situation. At one time I had about $3000 bucks in SS props before I was happy. 1860 Angler with 175 Etec.

A phone call to Ricky at Brainerd Prop is always a good place to start.

Good Luck!

Also Mercury Marine has an Ap or use their web site.

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard about Ricky. Maybe I'll give that a go and see what they have to say. Thanks for the help!

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a 2012 1850 reata w/ 150 verado this spring and am using a 19p tempest. Over the weekend I was able to borrow a 17p (yamaha brand I believe) from a member here to try and there was a little gain in holeshot but not a lot. My research has found that the rev 4 17p is the best prop for the reata/150 verado. I would imagine it would be a good choice for your merc 4S as well.

- - - Updated - - -

With the Tempest 19p I am getting about 41 mph with a full load and a couple fat guys. I touched 45 by myself lightly loaded. The reata is a fine boat and a big step up from the tin can (1850 Tyee) I had but they are not a speed demon.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hole shot is slang (my opinion) for getting up on plane. When it is slow then your boat is kind of plowing (struggling) again my opinion.

Props, Motors and Boats are a three way mix what works for one is no guarantee of working for your situation. At one time I had about $3000 bucks in SS props before I was happy. 1860 Angler with 175 Etec.

A phone call to Ricky at Brainerd Prop is always a good place to start.

Good Luck!

Also Mercury Marine has an Ap or use their web site.

I know what the hole shot is. I am just wondering why people are in such a hurry to get up on plane as long as they eventually get there. I'm not talking about getting there in several minutes but a reasonable amount of time. If you never get there, then that is a definite problem of propeller or HP.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know what the hole shot is. I am just wondering why people are in such a hurry to get up on plane as long as they eventually get there.

Because plowing to get on plane is "wet" especially w/any chop at all and with the nose in the air you can't see very well.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know what the hole shot is. I am just wondering why people are in such a hurry to get up on plane as long as they eventually get there. I'm not talking about getting there in several minutes but a reasonable amount of time. If you never get there, then that is a definite problem of propeller or HP.

when you get on the gas on ramping the interstate do you want your car to struggle bus its way to 70 or get there relatively quick?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the same 17 prop on my etec -- but i went from bottom to top with the motor - -no matter what bracket -- anybody riding in my boat (especially my dog) (anything loose in the boat) will not like when i open it up. It will crack your neck.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m gonna dump my tempest for a mirage plus. It’s a far better prop for the type of water we fish in here most days.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m gonna dump my tempest for a mirage plus. It’s a far better prop for the type of water we fish in here most days.

What pitch/condition Tempest?

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve never heard anyone think a mirage was better than a Tempest, that’s a new one. A bravo or rev 4, sure but a mirage, I don’t think so unless you have a really bad example of a tempest. For those that are impressed with a vengeance, your missing out! The vengeance is basically a step up from aluminum but that’s about it. It’s completely lacking in rake and cupping. There’s so many better choices out there.

- - - Updated - - -

If a mirage works better than a Tempest on your boat it tells me your motor is mounted way low. Those props were made for I/Os where the lower unit is buried in the water. If you don’t want to raise you engine, atleast try an Enertia or Enertia Eco.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
2019 Lund Impact XS Merc Pro XS 150HP...got a Tempest Plus - 19P...hole shot good/top speed great hit 47.7mph last week running from 4 Bears down to Hunts Along Bay...full tank of gas/2 people on board.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
If you can find one, try a 19p turbo, that prop worked well on my stratos 386 with a 150 which should be similar to your setup. The 19 tempest ran well on this boat too but my RPMs were a little low.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
when you get on the gas on ramping the interstate do you want your car to struggle bus its way to 70 or get there relatively quick?
Ramping on the interstate is a safety issue that seldom applies to a boating situation. Just saying!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75