MECHANIC Advice needed

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2000 Yukon XL 4x4 5.3L that now has 72,000 original miles. I bought it about 3 years ago and it had about 45,000 miles. It was a Sunday driver for an older couple so minimal wear and tear. I was pulling my camper home Sunday and my transmission fluid temp high light flashed on. I was only about 2 mile from home so i limped home. After that i noticed it had a long shift from first to second. it goes to 4.5-5 RPM before shifting and takes about 2 seconds for the shift. Every other gear shifts just fine as it had. Took it to my mechanic who i trust and they dropped the trans pan, cleaned, changed fluid and filters, etc. The magnet in the pan had very minimal metal, but did have some. I was told the biggest was like roughly the size of a 1/4 of a grain of rice. That did not fix the problem and they have advised my transmission is on the way out :mad:!!

Any other thoughts?

i did some googling and kept finding something about shift solenoids or shift servos???

Given the vintage of the vehicle i am having a tough time trying to justify a new transmission, but the vehicle is in immaculate shape. The interior is like brand new and the body only has 1 small cancer spot on the rear fender that all GM vehicles of that era get.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
yea they use electronic shift solenoids. I would take it to a reputable tranny shop and have them drive it. Worst thing that could happen is they tell you the same as the other guy. I had my transmission fluid temp heat up on my chevy. It ran and shifted fine for a long time. I thought I just had a bad sending unit so kept driving it. Eventually melted the shit out of a lot of things lol.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone recommend a transmission shop in Fargo?

hogslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not real familiar with that particular transmission but it does sound like you have a definite transmission issue. When you pull a heavier trailer such as a camper you can easily cook the transmission fluid if you pull in overdrive (forget to turn on tow/haul button) or if the vehicle doesn't have a large enough transmission cooler (or no cooler at all) which will cause the fluid to break down and wreak havoc on the transmission. A long delayed shift like that is usually indicative of worn clutch packs that are starting to fail. There is a possibility that it could be a bad shift solenoid that is not supplying proper line pressure to the circuit causing the slippage. Usually when the electronic components fail such as solenoids it will throw a check engine code (again not sure about this year/make/model). I agree to take it to a reputable transmission shop but there is a good chance you have a clutch pack on the way out. Continuing to tow with it like this will most likely continue to make the problem worse.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
A $2,500 transmission is nothing compared to a new suburban. That engine is bulletproof, and if its as good of shape as your saying, its well worth replacing the tranny in my opinion (if that is the issue). Especially because you're likely not going to find one in as good of shape as yours. When I lived in Fargo STH Auto got all of my business, but they are not a transmission shop. Sorry, can't help there. There was an early 2000's suburban for sale at a local dealership in Bismarck several months ago, with less than 50,000 miles on it. Was on the lot for less than 1 day, sold for $15,500.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
This sucks, but as you get it repaired...you may want to ask about options for a supplemental tranny fluid cooler.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
A $2,500 transmission is nothing compared to a new suburban. That engine is bulletproof, and if its as good of shape as your saying, its well worth replacing the tranny in my opinion (if that is the issue). Especially because you're likely not going to find one in as good of shape as yours. When I lived in Fargo STH Auto got all of my business, but they are not a transmission shop. Sorry, can't help there. There was an early 2000's suburban for sale at a local dealership in Bismarck several months ago, with less than 50,000 miles on it. Was on the lot for less than 1 day, sold for $15,500.

Yep, which would you rather have? new car payments or just fix it for the 2-3K? I'd repair it if you say its in good shape yet. Sometimes a tranny will take a shit on you at the least suspected time or use.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pat Lies at United Automotive tech center in West fargo is my go to for anything mechanical. STH has always had an amazing reputation as well.
Call 7th Ave auto salvage and see what they have on hand for trannys. Man, did that place save me some money over the years and always friendly.

Last edited:

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2003 yukon Denali so with 200k on it and counting. I have stuck some cash into over the years (nothing major)but I use it for car pooling to and from work. Ya it drinks the gas but I also won't get crap for it if I sell or trade it off. It has the 6.0L engine but your vehicle has a ton of life left in it . Good luck. Just be sure to get it overhauled by someone who will stand behind their work.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Preferred Transmission, Jamestown is pretty darn good. Cooler a must if going to be towing.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
The shop behind tires plus on 13th Ave. has done some work for me. I felt they did a good job. Give them a try. They were honest with me.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
On mine, a 2003 Silverado, it was stuck In tow/haul mode and that is in your gear selector lever I believe? Not sure on that. The mechanic said it was shorting out causing g it to stay In tow/ haul. Mine was doing the same thing u described. High rpm's shifting from 1st to 2nd.

Magpie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kennedy Transmission, Fargo. Honest folk, treated my college age daughter very well a few years ago. Father approved.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
they should have been able to pull codes off the trans and tell if it was just solenoid's sticking.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
As stated above, the motor is bullet proof. Your truck has 150k + of life left on that motor. Definitely worth figuring out the issue. If you decide to sell, PM me. I have 2002 Tahoe with 5.3L, 277k and still rolling strong! Nice find on the 'burban.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
As stated above, the motor is bullet proof. Your truck has 150k + of life left on that motor. Definitely worth figuring out the issue. If you decide to sell, PM me. I have 2002 Tahoe with 5.3L, 277k and still rolling strong! Nice find on the 'burban.

Agree. I have 275 k on mine as well!

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
245k on my 04 Tahoe and I take it to work eveeyday. just do the maintenance and they run a long time. New vehicles are nice but payments suck and I prefer having cash in the bank acct over a new vehicle in the driveway

Brasmunky

Established Member
It may be too late now but as a warning for everyone else I'll go ahead and say it. When I was a fleet mechanic out in the oil patch we had to replace every GM transmission in our fleet before 100k miles because of drivers not turning off the OD when they were driving hills and stuff. The 4L60 and 6L90 tranny is great until it has to "hunt for gears". They are already a hot running son of a bitch as is. You put them under load and they wont last long. Moral of the story is to shut off the OD while towing. A little burnt gas is way cheaper than a transmission.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74