MECHANIC Advice needed

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
When they changed the tranny fluid, did it smell burnt?
they said it smelled a little bit, but not bad. Like it got hot, but not burnt.

- - - Updated - - -

I always have had it in tow/haul when I pull anything with it. I am going to take it to a tranny shop for a second opinion. I’m guessing they will have a different quote on a new one too. I know the track record of these engines, that is why I bought it and am considering the new transmission

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
GSM
Is your motor a 6.0 or a 5.3?
I see in your first post you say 5.3 and wondering if that is correct?

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
they said it smelled a little bit, but not bad. Like it got hot, but not burnt.

- - - Updated - - -

I always have had it in tow/haul when I pull anything with it. I am going to take it to a tranny shop for a second opinion. I’m guessing they will have a different quote on a new one too. I know the track record of these engines, that is why I bought it and am considering the new transmission

The tranny I put in my 03 Silverado last October cost me just under $3 K installed. That's why I put it in, can't buy a decent vehicle for $3K!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find out which shops actually do the rebuilds for the shops that do the installing. Take it directly to them. Will be done right and should save you some money too.

dragoneyes

Honored Member
On mine, a 2003 Silverado, it was stuck In tow/haul mode and that is in your gear selector lever I believe? Not sure on that. The mechanic said it was shorting out causing g it to stay In tow/ haul. Mine was doing the same thing u described. High rpm's shifting from 1st to 2nd.
Chevy's are known to have problems with there tow mode instead of replacing the shift lever with the tow mode button at 100 bucks i took some of the one piece dash apart for the gages and 2 pieces on the steering column traced the 2 wires were they were clearly broke from the up and down movement of the shift lever. Spliced in the 2 wires to a intermittent switch not a toggle and mounted it to the bottom of the dash i have done this to a friends vehicle also works great and the wires are stationary and will not crack or break off again. cost under 5 bucks time spent half and hour FYI CHEVY OWNERS WITH TOW MODE.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
It shortens/changes the shift cycle on the transmission and gives you more rpm's before shifting for more power. On the diesels it also helps slow you down using the engine. Don't know if the gas engines do that too or not?
It doesn't turn off overdrive (at least not on our 16 duramax) as you have to go to M (manual) and shift manually or select a high gear number and it will still shift automatically in M. When pulling we run in 5th gear and don't go into 6th (overdrive).
Depending of course how many speed transmission you have in your pickup.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76