Fillet Knives

Snapper

I bought a Bubba Blade (electric) and it’s the best fillet knife I’ve had so far. Fillet many Walleyes with Rapala and Mr Twister. Nothing bad to say about them but, this new Bubba Blade (electric) is Awesome! Comes with 4 different size blades. Cuts through them big and small Walleyes like butter. Good luck on shopping. The Bubba (electric) blade is $135.00, well worth the money.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy has the Bubba said it was smooth I didn't try it. I have the American Angler Pro, hasn't let me down yet. One day I left the house without my knife so I bought one of those Mr Twisters at the gas station for the day. The day was all it got. Those things are horrendous, do your selves a favor and throw yours in the garbage if that's all you use. There are numerous better options.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can’t believe some guys still use mister twister....talk about a monkey f’n a football. I have an American angler at the cabin. The shark style blades make quick work of a bunch of fish. I don’t waste meat and my wife and kids make a big stink if they find a bone, so I make sure they don’t. Over Father’s Day I ordered the bass pro lithium because it comes with the shark style blade and I wanted a travel knife. I’ve only run 50 or so fish through with that one so far, but I like it really well! Worth looking at for sure.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still use a manual fillet knife and really like the one I currently have. Mine was made by "Old Timer" which I bought from the knife shop in Minot upon the recommendation of the owner who sharpens knives of all kinds at gun shows all across the state. I bought two and haven't even opened the box on the second one. That was 6 years ago now. Keep in mind that I use a fillet knife for just about everything from fish to deer so my requirements in a knife are somewhat different than those who just use their knives for fish.

Brandon

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the new Bubba lithium and really like it. It comes with 4 blades and 2 batteries

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
For electric, I've been running the same corded Rapala unit for about 10, or so years. It's gotten a few new sets of blades over that timeframe, but it's been dependable as hell even though I don't take very good care of it. Actually rides around in my door pockets 12 months out of the year.

For old fashioned fileting, I have a few different blades. The standard Rapala knife we all grew up with is by far my least favorite, shitty handle and hard to maintain blade. My fave is a blade that is only stamped U.S. Cutlery, I suppose it's 40 years old and has been sharpened so many times I am just waiting on the blade to snap one of these days as it's getting kind of thin. It's also my very favorite knife to debone deer because of its flexibility and edge holding ability.

All the rest do the job but are just another tool in the box for me.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a Leech Lake Knife for Christmas a few years back. Took some getting used to (the sharp edge on the top can give a nasty nick if you're not careful) but the concept is solid. Use the back hook-style edge to open up the skin, then the sharp side to cut through the softer meat. I've had it for, what, six years now? And never have needed to sharpen it.

Otherwise I have a couple little Rapalla Knives that I keep in tackle boxes and whatnot. Get sharp quick, but dull quick. I like them for pannies mostly.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still use a manual fillet knife and really like the one I currently have. Mine was made by "Old Timer" which I bought from the knife shop in Minot upon the recommendation of the owner who sharpens knives of all kinds at gun shows all across the state. I bought two and haven't even opened the box on the second one. That was 6 years ago now. Keep in mind that I use a fillet knife for just about everything from fish to deer so my requirements in a knife are somewhat different than those who just use their knives for fish.

Too bad Sandy won't let you use her good knife..............;:;rofl

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my cutco best blade I've ever owned I have 4 fillet, buck,2 pocket
Never sharped any so far fillet is 300 plus walleye buck is at 10 deer 2 elk one bear one buffalo one cow one pig still sharp pocket used daily very hard use I'll never buy another knife
2nd on fillet is bubba blade for the handle mainly

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fleet Farm has the heavy duty Rapala corded on sale for about 75 bucks, sence I already have a cordless Rapala that the trigger is sometimes hit or miss but have plenty of extra blades I am going that way. Will see what happens. Thanks too all that chimed in. LB

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fleet Farm has the heavy duty Rapala corded on sale for about 75 bucks, sence I already have a cordless Rapala that the trigger is sometimes hit or miss but have plenty of extra blades I am going that way. Will see what happens. Thanks too all that chimed in. LB

Love my HD Rapala, be careful on the 1st couple fish though. Cycle speed is quite a bit faster and if you push your blades you'll zip right through the spine. Let the knife do the work.

- - - Updated - - -

I love my cutco best blade I've ever owned I have 4 fillet, buck,2 pocket
Never sharped any so far fillet is 300 plus walleye buck is at 10 deer 2 elk one bear one buffalo one cow one pig still sharp pocket used daily very hard use I'll never buy another knife
2nd on fillet is bubba blade for the handle mainly

You're the frog in boiling water. I foresee stitches in your future.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have one i got several years ago american something or nother --- anyway i never cut through bones (canadian guide cleaning method). The blade lasts forever and the machine keeps going --- it gets hot in my hand when it has some major work to do -- but it keeps on cleaning.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
American Angler. Can't remember when I got mine but its old enough and cleaned so many fish in its life time that it sounds like a diesel motor without oil in it but keeps chugging away. Have sharpened the blades on it once with my work sharp.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My take on it, for regular old non-electric fillet knife, the extra expense for anything over a standard Rapala is not worth the extra cost. For an electric, Ive had the same ol’ Rapala non-battery kind for about a decade now and really have nothing to compare it to but that speaks a bit for itself already.

Here's an interesting video on how Rapala makes their knives. Pretty cool show....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgKfG07ZSbo

ND58201

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have any guys that use a traditional knife / boneless method tried the havalon fillet knife? I use rapala, Kershaw, and a cheaper wustof. Can’t get used to the sharp backside of leech lake. Love havalon for skinning other critters but haven’t heard much of the disposable blade fillet knife

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77