Fillet Knives

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Need a new one without breaking the bank. Don't want to spend most of my ss check on one.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really like the Lithium Ion one from Rapala. About $90 if I recall correctly. I can clean fish all weekend without needing a charge.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My take on it, for regular old non-electric fillet knife, the extra expense for anything over a standard Rapala is not worth the extra cost. For an electric, Ive had the same ol’ Rapala non-battery kind for about a decade now and really have nothing to compare it to but that speaks a bit for itself already.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will never go back to manual

mostly for the reason of never sharpening knives

with shark blades and practice on any electric my waste meat is probably as low if not lower than with a freshly sharpened traditional

especially big bluegills - those big rib bones are hell on a traditional filet knife

- - - Updated - - -

or I could get good at boneless method

but no reason to since I like my current setup

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am envious of those with the skill to speedily filet using the boneless method - they make it look so easy

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am envious of those with the skill to speedily filet using the boneless method - they make it look so easy

YUP!

I am fortunate enough to live in a neighborhood with 1 retired guide, 1 part time guide, and 2 addicted fishermen that take pity on the old guy. 2 use the Leach Lake knife, One uses a Wustof, One uses Cutco. I use the knives of Alaska Coho to slab the fillet off and use a Wustoff or Cutco to get the ribs out.

The Coho is not flexible but holds an edge extremely well and is great for cutting out those 22 to 30 inch fillets.;:;rofl

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rapala Heavy Duty body if you know you're going to be where you have power all the time. I used to be a fan of the 6" blades, lately I've gone the other direction, 9" because they have a little more flex and IMO/IME do a better job getting ribs out and leaving meat behind on the fillet.

Rapala Lithium when you don't have power. I like this knife w/Berkely 8" "Slim Blades".

I won a Wustoff that's very good, as well as an older Cold Steel Carbon V from the bargain cave, but, I don't know that I'd pay the $$ out of my pocket over the Rapala like Meelosh suggested. Rapala has the "thinness and flex" down pat. Run through a 2-person limit of walleyes with any knife and it should make a trip over ceramic sticks anyway.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member

Talking about me again guy..........I’m honored. I’m a Cutco guy for a traditional knife. I used Rapala in the past and still do today. I’m a boneless fillet method guy, but guys who know how to use an electric come after me and leave before me. I wonder how much trimming they have to do to clean things up later though.

One other thought, I think one should learn how to use a traditional knife and learn the bone structures of the fish they’re cleaning. It makes it easier to get back on track if you derail while filleting.

- - - Updated - - -

I hate bones. I grew up eating fish that didn’t have all the bones removed. That ruins the idea of eating fish pretty quick when you’re young.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve filleted literally hundreds, if not over a thousand fish with mr twister

i used a friends rapala once and almost burned my hand once after 10 or so fish.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
you’ll be hard pressed to find a bone in ours

we’re absolute quality nazis - fast, but leave no waste, try to make sure they’re picture perfect

thats why I don’t switch - there’s no reason to

- - - Updated - - -

if you’re slow then it’s not you I’m jealous of :)

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
leech lake 6 inch, been cleaning with it for 3 years and have only used a steele on it.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
electric I use a cheap electric bread knife from thrift stores, last a few years then throw away when I burn the out. downside is they are NOT water proof and I have been tickled a few times. I used to work in packing houses and while the dexter russell is a decent knife I prefer the victornox knives as they seem to hold an edge longer. I have numerous victornox knives that I have had over 20 years and they are still cutting. They are not cheap but they are a very good knife. https://www.grainger.com/search?searchBar=true&searchQuery=victornox+filet+knife

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve used both electric and traditional knife over many years and I’m simply quicker with a traditional knife. I slab them and remove ribs after. I got a custom from Fidderer. Don’t know if he still builds knives but he used to be at all the area gun shows. He uses great steel. I prefer a longer blade 9” as it allows a good angle when knocking the slabs off. Just me though. Electric knives make it easy but a bit slow for me. JMHO.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mister Twister for $19.99 on sale at Scheels tight now, can’t go wrong! If I miss any meat then I’m not out anything except time going slower. Period. When it’s ninety five degrees outside my truck’s AC is more important than a pinky fingernail worth.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75