6.5 CM for Elk?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can I shoot an elk with my 6.5 Creedmore? If so, what is the best bullet to use?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes and which ever one shoot the best. Holes in lungs kill shit it’s simple. Should you shoot 800 yards probably not but it carries well over a 1000 lbs of energy with the 143 eldx past 500

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes and which ever one shoot the best. Holes in lungs kill shit it’s simple. Should you shoot 800 yards probably not but it carries well over a 1000 lbs of energy with the 143 eldx past 500

right on!

you need what 800lbs foot energy to bring a elk down if I remember right or read somewhere don't expect to do it long range but it certainly enough gun to kill an elk.

it wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't hesitate to use it either

- - - Updated - - -

that should read ft pounds of energy not whatever the hell I wrote

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
6.5 CM bounce off elk similar to how .243 bounce off deer.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sure it can, hell a .22 will do it if you hit em right..
But there are so many more able tools for the job if you ask me, that is what's fun about guns "buying more of them!"

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody know how to figure kinetic energy loss? I just recently built a 22 creedmoor and from reading it maintains energy at triple the levels of a 22-250. Granted we are comparing a 55gr vs 80gr out of a 22caliber but close to the same velocity. If true hell this new 22 Creed would do an elk in no problem.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will it work? Yes. Would it be my first choice? No. In my opinion, the eldx is a great shooting bullet, but not a great killing bullet. Wife shot a mule deer with the 143eldx right behind the front shoulder, and the bullet fragmented into little slivers. Took two more shots to put him down. I've shot elk and deer with the 178eldx out of my 300wm. Both died, but I found multiple pieces of the bullets under the hide.

Personally, I'd go with a 140 grain barnes ttsx or nosler accubond.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will it work? Yes. Would it be my first choice? No. In my opinion, the eldx is a great shooting bullet, but not a great killing bullet. Wife shot a mule deer with the 143eldx right behind the front shoulder, and the bullet fragmented into little slivers. Took two more shots to put him down. I've shot elk and deer with the 178eldx out of my 300wm. Both died, but I found multiple pieces of the bullets under the hide.

Odd, my wife shot a muledeer buck right behind the shoulder 2 years ago with her 6.5 using 143 eld-x and when we opened it up the chest cavity looked like soup.... only took one shot and he was dead on the spot. One of my co-workers had the exact same experience with his son and a youth tag last year using the same bullet.

Are there better choices out there? Sure, but the 6.5 will definitely do the trick. I personally shoot a 7mm mag and load 168 berger vld hunters and have had very good performance out of them. Wife drew here ND Elk tag for E3 so if I have time this summer I'm going to see if I can get a berger to shoot well out of the 6.5. If not, I have no worries at all about using the 143 eld-x

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
petras

you will get the bergers to shoot for sure. thats all i use for my wifes .260 and my 7mm. i shoot the 140 elite hunters out of my wifes .260 obvously real simialr to the 6.5cm and shoot the 175gr out of the 7mm in all honesty we i have yet to see an animal go 1 step with either every single kill granted hers is at 5 and my 7mm is only at 3 every single animal is DOI

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
300 ultra Mag with 200 grain eldx did the trick really nice at 300 yards for my bull last yr

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Obviously a bigger caliber would be better but not everybody has the luxury of buying another gun. If you have a 6.5 I wouldn't be afraid to use it. I personally would shoot 143 ELD-X. If you make a good shot you will kill elk all day long with that combination.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody know how to figure kinetic energy loss? I just recently built a 22 creedmoor and from reading it maintains energy at triple the levels of a 22-250. Granted we are comparing a 55gr vs 80gr out of a 22caliber but close to the same velocity. If true hell this new 22 Creed would do an elk in no problem.

You can't compare a 22-250 to a 22 creedmoor. If you do then throw in the 22-6MM Ackley or .224 TTH or 22-250 Ackley. Yes it does have a advantage over the 22-250 Ackley. But it will take a back seat to the other two.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

funny how bullets work the accubomb is the only bullet i have ever had fail. I have been apart of about 15 deer dieing because of the 143m eldx and they have all been one shot add 20 more if you count the 140 amax. closest was 100 ish and farthest was 657 and that was a big bodied mule deer

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
search for Randy Selby on youtube. Watch his videos on caliber for large game. He also has video of bullets for large game. I'm not expert so I try to get as much research in as I can. According to this guy the ELD-x would be a poor choice for elk. I haven't ever shot an elk or used the ELDx, so I'm not trying to be negative against it, just sharing some info I found on the black hole of the internet. Sounds like many of you have used that bullet with great success.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
funny how bullets work the accubomb is the only bullet i have ever had fail. I have been apart of about 15 deer dieing because of the 143m eldx and they have all been one shot add 20 more if you count the 140 amax. closest was 100 ish and farthest was 657 and that was a big bodied mule deer

I've shot accubonds out of my 270 WSM for quite a few years and have been extremely happy with the results. Lots of dead deer, some very dead coyotes and one unlucky beaver.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always shot the Hornady Interlocks and had great success with them on Deer, Elk and Moose. They have always been my go to bullet as they shoot great in everything.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Barnes 127 LRX would be my choice. That big front shoulder is not going to stop it.
It doesn't have the BC of sleeker jacked bullets, but that isn't going to matter within the range that the 6.5 CM is effective on elk anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Use the Hornady calculator: [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.hornady.com/team-hornady/ballistic-calculators/#!/standard
Just plug in the velocity, bullet weight, and BC, and hit calculate. One of the outputs is energy in FT#s.
[/FONT]

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
We need Plainsman

- - - Updated - - -

I mean Prairie ghost. Sorry

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like nosler partitions, accubonds, swift a frames and scirrocos. Who gives a shit about bc shoot a man's gun with a reasonable powder charge. If a little recoil bothers you make the gun heavier or put a brake on it. A 6.5 Creedmoor is nothing more than a necked up 22-250.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, I throw the odd zinger @ the 6.5Creed-Crowd.

That said, the 6.5CM has been the most properly executed product launch of a wildcat into the mainstream shooting/hunting community ever. They first and foremost got the twist right for current as well as future projectiles. They have the chamber dimensions such that you can seat even very long bullets into the lands and still maintain an OAL that'll fit into an unmodified magazine. They developed great ammo for multiple purposes that performs very consistently with what the factory ammo boxes say. Lastly, they developed a cartridge that just about anyone can tolerate the recoil.

There are a awful lot of cartridge/bullet combinations that recoil a bunch more than the 6.5Creed that folks would say are "better" for elk and yet deliver less energy past 300yds.

I wouldn't rush right out and buy a new 6.5Creed for an upcoming elk hunt, but, if I had one I was confident in already I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76