6.5 CM for Elk?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
will it push those 156 in that 3100 range? if so that would be devastating . I think my next gun is a 30 cal in some flavor

dam I don't know off the top of my head ( im stuck in fishing mode at the moment) I think you should be able to get em to 3050-3100

last time I ran the ballistics ( I cant remember if I used 26 nosler data 6.5-.284, or .264 magnum) I compared it to the 140's and honestly there wasn't much advantage over the 140's until you got down range say 800 yards is where itll separate itself. but this has been awhile ago when I was planning the build ive since been to the lake or weddings every wknd and haven't put any thought to it.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had trouble as well with it out of my 6.5-284. 120gr TTSX did good though

I have several 6.5 CMs however I'm trying these in a Kimber Adirondack and it absolutely HATES them. Shoots 100 TTSX lights out though.

My 264 Win Mag hates them as well, for what it's worth.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
6.5 Creedmore will do the trick if you can shoot it properly & know you "limitations". There's a lot of variable when it comes to the mountains. Thermals, canyon whip, elevation compensation for shooting downhill/uphill.

I shoot a 28 Nosler with 195gr Bergers. Elk are amazingly tough critters. The 6.5creedmore will do the trick, but you better bring your tracking boots along!

PS: If you don't think BC matters in bullets & shooting, you should do a little more research...

Up to 500 yds bc does not come into play that much. I shoot all big game under 500 so it doesn't mean shit to me with those guns. I shoot big game rifles that have higher velocity so don't worry about bc when I choose bullets I select bullets for performance on game. I do more shooting than most and a fair bit at long distance at varmints. Most hunting bullets have a fair bc if at least mid weight for caliber.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Founding Member
My son drew a limited entry unit in the random draw in southern Utah in 2017 "lucky".
I took this video with a little hand held point and shoot camera so its not the
best footage. He took him with a Nosler rifle in 7mm with 160 accubonds 400 some yards. Crazy how that dead tree falls and hits that cow below.
Good memories.

devins bull laying 2017.jpg

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Have you gotten that bullet to shoot? That damn thing is my kryptonite!!
If so you wouldn't mind sharing load data would you? :)

127 Barnes LRX
42.3 grains H4350
Lapua brass
CCI 450
.04 off the lands
Avg: 2990 FPS
ES: 9 FPS

I'll admit I'm cheating though. I shoot a Desert Tech SRS A1 with 26" Benchmark barrel. I've shot 140 ELDM, 143 ELDX, 139 Scenar, and 127 LRX through it. I'm not sure if I've ever shot a group
over
an inch with any one of them.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every time I read through a thread like this my brain goes on "Control, Alt, Delete." I'm glad there are guys out there that dig into this stuff so I have someone to ask when I want a load for a new gun. What I read from these threads always seems to sound the same way, Blah Blah Blah...........put the bullet from the gun, in the rib cage of the critter, and start the grill. I'm just gun and ammo tech dificient I guess.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every time I read through a thread like this my brain goes on "Control, Alt, Delete." I'm glad there are guys out there that dig into this stuff so I have someone to ask when I want a load for a new gun. What I read from these threads always seems to sound the same way, Blah Blah Blah...........put the bullet from the gun, in the rib cage of the critter, and start the grill. I'm just gun and ammo tech dificient I guess.

I'm not really tech deficient per say, but these threads still read blah blah blah to me. Number one, the most important variable to this whole fricken thread has not been established. At what max distance does the OP intend to shoot an elk with a 6.5CM?? The answer to that question pretty much determines the correct answer to his question.

Secondly, on bullet choices....What works for one, someone else will have the exact opposite to say. Find one that you like, and shoots good for you and roll with it...

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -

My son drew a limited entry unit in the random draw in southern Utah in 2017 "lucky".
I took this video with a little hand held point and shoot camera so its not the
best footage. He took him with a Nosler rifle in 7mm with 160 accubonds 400 some yards. Crazy how that dead tree falls and hits that cow below.
Good memories.

B

122583901_10104367284004846_318089249257811764_n.jpg

Beautiful Bull

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not really tech deficient per say, but these threads still read blah blah blah to me. Number one, the most important variable to this whole fricken thread has not been established. At what max distance does the OP intend to shoot an elk with a 6.5CM?? The answer to that question pretty much determines the correct answer to his question.

Secondly, on bullet choices....What works for one, someone else will have the exact opposite to say. Find one that you like, and shoots good for you and roll with it...

Actually, I'd say #1 is what distance is the OP 100% confident of connecting w/vitals? Then fret the projectile, after that the headstamp.

ND58201

Founding Member
Founding Member
not trying to steal the thread but quick question. Would the 6.5 CM be adequate for a cow moose at less than 300yds? Scared the wife will never want to shoot again if she gets punched by the 7mm or .300 win mag. (only other two options I have )

- - - Updated - - -

And I realize with a perfect shot it will be fine but what if it’s a few inches to far forward or back?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
not trying to steal the thread but quick question. Would the 6.5 CM be adequate for a cow moose at less than 300yds? Scared the wife will never want to shoot again if she gets punched by the 7mm or .300 win mag. (only other two options I have )

- - - Updated - - -

And I realize with a perfect shot it will be fine but what if it’s a few inches to far forward or back?

Only one way to find out! Share your findings

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

swedes have been doing it for 100 years

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

This would be my 1st choice in factory ammo if using the 6.5Creed for Moose (which wouldn't really bother me):

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...tion-65-creedmoor-140-grain-a-frame-box-of-20

Yes, they're expensive, but, IMO with a quick search through everything that Midway has available, it's easily my 1st choice by a wide margin.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Take the 6.5 creedmore and a 6.5 Jap from the early thirty's and put them side by side. Poof.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both the Japanese and Italian lag behind the 6.5 Swede, 260 Remington, and the 6.5 Creedmoor. Ok, ok you were joking I get it.

I am in the mountains without my books, but you stirred my curiosity. I wonder how close the Grendel is to the Arisaka?

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Put a suppressor on the end of either the 7 or 300 and you will never worry about recoil again.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75