Putting Camso tracks on...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
a Honda Pioneer 700-4 with full DFK cab, power steering, and heater.

2019-07-07 06.56.52.jpg

Change my mind.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Neat
I am curious if a disabled, straight, Christian fisherman would be excepted on your next journey

Last edited:

TakItEz

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I did my research last year on the UTV market and Camso tracks i was warned by a few of Honda Dealers that the tracks could put to much strain on the honda automatic transmission unless you run in low range all the time with the tracks on. They told me Honda's are not engineered for tracks. This is why I leaned towards Polaris or CanAm which are built/engineered to run tracks. My 2 Cents..........

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I did my research last year on the UTV market and Camso tracks i was warned by a few of Honda Dealers that the tracks could put to much strain on the honda automatic transmission unless you run in low range all the time with the tracks on. They told me Honda's are not engineered for tracks. This is why I leaned towards Polaris or CanAm which are built/engineered to run tracks. My 2 Cents..........

wow... never heard of that before

there is no low/high range on a 700

people bitch about how slow Pioneers are - plus, with the 1/2 speed gear down of tracks, the Honda's are REALLY low speed

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Being an owner of a 2014 Pioneer with the fully locked axles, I am thinking I'd pass on the tracks. You would for sure want to also add power steering.

Does yours have the locked axles?

Note, I've also not yet found the machine incapable of taking me where I need to go. Then again, I don't "need" to go across 3 ft drifts of snow.

TakItEz

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was looking a 1000 Pioneer to put tracks on which had high and low settings for the automatic transmission. They said the tracks were very hard on the automatic tranny due to shift points dropping the rpm's when accelerating.... I have seen people run tracks on the Honda's so I am not sure what to believe. Another few cents.......

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My thoughts besides "What a nice, comfortable rig!" are "Can the machine run tracks effectively with all the accessories you have and can the tracks take the weight and pounding of your machine with all the accessories will dish out??" If either one of these is a maybe or a no, a bit more research might be needed.

P.S. I only run in low range when I have tracks on my Yamaha Grizzly per their recommendation, so I guess I'll be seeing you in the slow lane.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It makes me sad seeing my friends get so old they need such things. :cool:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
All Hondas are bulletproof and they don’t have a belt. Put anything you want on it as it is a Honda without a belt. :)

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Being an owner of a 2014 Pioneer with the fully locked axles, I am thinking I'd pass on the tracks. You would for sure want to also add power steering.

Does yours have the locked axles?

Note, I've also not yet found the machine incapable of taking me where I need to go. Then again, I don't "need" to go across 3 ft drifts of snow.

it's a 2014 P700-4, so I'm sure it's got the rear locked all the time like yours - the front has 2WD, 4WD, and locked modes
doesn't yours?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, same machine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quite honestly, I'd swear both are locked all the time based on how it handles cornering, even though I'm sure it's just the rear remaining locked all the time that gives steering fits on solid ground.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
All Hondas are bulletproof and they don’t have a belt. Put anything you want on it as it is a Honda without a belt. :)

are Polaris belts horrible to replace in the field?

boy, you sure do see the Pioneer people brag about not having them - as if they cost $1000 and take a day to replace

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our Polaris on the farm shredded a belt last summer that ended up costing well over $1,000 by the time it tore out some seals along with the belt. Just under $2k if I remember right. Granted, I'd have a better memory on this if it were my bill to pay.

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose it cost me a few hundred though in transporting it back and forth to the farm. For every time the Polaris goes in the shop...the Honda has had to fill in for it. And it has the rub marks to show it's also spent time on the farm. :mad:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guy,

One thing I will warn you about with the Hondas is that they use mouse attractant on the wiring. There are a couple short wires on the transmission (neutral start switch) that cost me a small fortune. It was right at $400 for the repair and an oil change.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
good to know

outside the occasional weekend where we leave it out at night, it’s kept in a car hauler with no feed/food to lure them in

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the big fear of belts. I have never had to or do I think I will ever need to change the belt on my 2000 AC 500 auto. I 3500+ miles on it. The AC units are built with belt always engaged. Essentially, the belts drive isn't the clutch. It only shifts. There is a separate centrifugal wet clutch to stop and go. I don't think I've ever slipped the belt.

By the way, I would never put tracks on an ATV. They design snowmobiles for going on the snow and ATVs are designed for wheels. I would say that the tracks are way above and beyond the stress levels created by the wheel induced loads.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76