Another mechanic question

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
So this morning my wife calls and said the pick up died out on her way home from work. So I go to where she is stalled and try go start it, after checking oil and such, and it starts and runs for about a second or 2 then dies. I'm thinking a fuel issue, probably the pump? It has 270k plus miles and I bought it used so don't know if it has ever been replaced. So my neighbor and I go and tow it to the mechanic in town, who is gone till Saturday, ugh! Oh well, it is what it is. Just trying to get some ideas on what a few of u mechanically inclined fellas on here think. On the tow into town I could here a humming sound, with the key on to steer, sounded like the fuel pump trying to pump every so often? I know every time I turn the key on in that pickup, I can hear the fuel pump, but couldn't this morning! Thanks.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
did you try beating on the tank, I have seen this work more than once on a gm product with a bad fuel pump

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
On my 95 dodge the filter is part of the pump. In the fuel tank. Wasn’t hard to change. 4 bolts for the box. Couple wire connectors and gas fill tube. Off she came

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
did you try beating on the tank, I have seen this work more than once on a gm product with a bad fuel pump

No. Never heard of that before! Even if it worked, still need to replace it. It broke down only a half mile from town, so no biggie to tow it.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you don't hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition half way that's most likely the culprit. Otherwise I'll go with a bad alternator. Have replaced a few of each in my day, pump went out after a long trip after I got home and parked while bad alternator had me stranded on the side of the road.
Plugged cat or fuel filter will cause hesitation/loss of power but not stalling of the engine in most cases..

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pounding on a Dodge fuel tank works too. You'll get about 2-3 miles with each treatment. Works in a pinch.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our son has a 2015 F150 Eco-Boost that has a leak in the timing chain housing. He took it to the dealership to get an estimate for repair and was quoted ~$1900. Any suggestions on certified mechanics in the BisMan area? Would just as soon support a small business if the quality of the repair is good. Thanks!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trouble with all the newer vehicles, you have to remove half of the front end to get at anything.
Labor intensive.
I still am living somewhat in the past and think half of that price would be way too expensive.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

I had a Ford Ranger that made it almost a year with a rap to the tank every once in a while to wake it up.

- - - Updated - - -

First a foremost add some fuel to see if the fuel gauge went bad and she just ran out.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you don't hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition half way that's most likely the culprit. Otherwise I'll go with a bad alternator. Have replaced a few of each in my day, pump went out after a long trip after I got home and parked while bad alternator had me stranded on the side of the road.
Plugged cat or fuel filter will cause hesitation/loss of power but not stalling of the engine in most cases..

If it was the alternator as soon as the battery is dead its not going to start. I would change the fuel filter. Its the cheapest fix then the fuel pump. They will put a gauge on it and see how much fuel pressure it has.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trouble with all the newer vehicles, you have to remove half of the front end to get at anything.
Labor intensive.
I still am living somewhat in the past and think half of that price would be way too expensive.

I am pulling my 67 chevy pickup out of retirement for a fair weather daily driver. 283 and a 4 speed, fun to drive. I probably have enough parts for it salted away to last 3 or 4 more generations. Easy to fix if anything goes wrong and I like the power and the rumble.

- - - Updated - - -

Park the ford in the garage and it will be trouble free.

WT2121

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a reasonable repair from Northwest Tire on south Expressway. Gave an estimate and was exactly what he said and the invoice matched the estimate. Waterpump on a Toyota was 60% less than dealer.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75