ND State Fair--Boycott or support

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
going on Monday to the state fair. it has went downhill in the last 10 years. ill let you know how bad it is this year. if they ever got rid of the barns and kids 4h exhibits I wouldn't go back

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never gone to the State Fair, so my comments are based on the RRV Fair and should be taken with that priviso. Now then....I like the "Barns", rabbits, chickens, the ribbon competitions of all types, and the geology "search through sand" exhibits. If they got rid of those I would not even consider attending the event. I say let the free market do it's thing. If they remove things that people like, they will lose money. Maybe instead of boycotts, a simple phone call or email to this lady expressing your thoughts might go a bit farther in the efforts to keep what you like about the fair around. If not, don't go and let your pocketbook do the talking for you. No need to make some gradios political movement out of it. Leave that to the Democrats.

Your not missing anything, to be honest with ya. I've been to the RRV Fair, and its pretty much a carbon copy of the state fair, only difference the entertainment line up is different. Only reason people on the east side of the state would make a trip up to Minot during the state fair is to attend a concert of an entertainer they like.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The rides are the same every year. The booths in the commercial buildings are the same, every damn year and if you pay attention good enuff you realize they are in the same spot as last year. Nothing changes, except prices. Everything goes up each year a bit more. It's all about taking the kids nowadays. The beer gardens are nothing more than an old memory. How much is a pounder down there? $6? lol get blasted at the fair for $200, fug that.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
show ankle... ha ha

in Fargo there are 10-14 year old children (many from other countries for some reason) dressed like hookers

about makes me vomit

- - - Updated - - -

true wags - the barns generate little in revenue

everything is revenue driven these days

that didn’t seem the purpose of a State Fair back in the day, but I was probably naive about it then

Having just spent a week in Orlando, during the hot and humid temps, I have seen more than enough flesh to last me a decade. And Randy, you're right. You see a 99% hooker, and then notice that she's 13. I mean, holy crap.

Also, the freaks are the people without square yardage of tattoos. I think in average, more women than men have tatts, and I'm not talking a little one. I mean, 10" x 12", across thighs, chests, backs. Holy cow.

I know I sound like Wilfred Brimley here. I'm not. I have tatts myself. But wow...

I agree though Wags, the barns might be part of our historic agricultural past, but they don't bring in enough revenue. And the people who really DO appreciate them, don't spend any money supporting them. If they go to the fair at all, they typically go as cheaply as possible. Senior discounts. Eat at home before going - to save some bucks.

It's no wonder that the board may be phasing out some of the less-lucrative events.

As far as boycotting something... I've come to the conclusion that it makes no difference. I'm boycotting the NFL and I'm guess they haven't noticed one little bit. Also, Nike can take a flying leap. Again, I doubt that they miss my money.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder what the average age is on this forum.

Far older, I think, than most online forums.

I'm 49.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've never gone to the State Fair, so my comments are based on the RRV Fair and should be taken with that priviso. Now then....I like the "Barns", rabbits, chickens, the ribbon competitions of all types, and the geology "search through sand" exhibits. If they got rid of those I would not even consider attending the event. I say let the free market do it's thing. If they remove things that people like, they will lose money. Maybe instead of boycotts, a simple phone call or email to this lady expressing your thoughts might go a bit farther in the efforts to keep what you like about the fair around. If not, don't go and let your pocketbook do the talking for you. No need to make some gradios political movement out of it. Leave that to the Democrats.

Good point KDM....maybe I should have titled it "Go or No Go". Damn Lefties are making me not think straight.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So with the ND State Fair starting up this weekend what are some of your thoughts of the management and master plan for the fairgrounds. Renae Korslien, who is the State Fair Manager, has been the face and voice on the forefront of eventually kicking or evicting the Ward County Historical Society "Pioneer Village" off the fairgrounds. Apparently it is the intentions that she wants to build some kind of center in the SW part of the fairgrounds. Not sure what kind of center!

So they have pretty much kicked out the curling club, gymnastics club and all hockey moved over to the Mesa Center. So here's my question...who is next. Supposedly next be removed will the "the barns" once the dust settles after removing "pioneer village".

It kind of strikes me that North Dakota is a agricultural state and the people are proud of ancestry history of how North Dakota was formed. The State Fair was a good opportunity for parents to take their kids over why eating a corndog or cheese curds and educate them on history. Then walk through the barns and show them where last nights steak, or the morning milk, eggs and bacon comes from. To me, the Fair Association/Board/Foundation is going int he wrong direction. I know this latest grievance with the Historical Society and moving them out toward Burlington has changed a lot of views of people in the Minot area. So for me...I would rather boycott the fair the year and possibly future years...until some preservation changes.

Just my .02¢

Happy fishing and keep those lines tight! Good luck to anglers in this weekends Governors Cup.

Didn’t know that they kicked out gymnastics and the curling club. I think the curling club just spent a ton on a new refrigeration unit. It’s not like the fair uses either building outside of fair week.

The director of the fair needs to go along with the rest of the group that’s been there for too long. The fair center has not been easy to work with for over 2 decades and is not being a good neighbor with Minot organizations. The all seasons arena is one of the nicer and bigger hockey rinks in the state and is not used by any of the big hockey programs in Minot because the fair is impossible to work with. That’s a shame and a waste of stare funds.

We need a politician to run in Minot that will campaign on making a wholesale change at the fair and they would win easy.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
in all reality if you've seen one state fair you've seen em all. that being said, if your into an annual trek for the same exact thing then the fair is for you. A huge percentage of the fair goers are those that are involved in the animals and their families. No way in hell they will get rid of the barns. If that happens they will probably eliminate 25% of the attendance immediately. I don't think they're in the position to be able to do that. I don't know this for sure but I'm under the impression the state legislature has something to say about the going ons at the state fair. Not that this gives me a warm fuzzy, but I doubt they would allow the barns to disappear if they do indeed have some say. My understanding is the ground is owned by the state isn't it?

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m quite sure the state fair is in part state funded. I have no idea of their balance sheet though.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
you deserve a medal

you had a cold too, right?

I did, and still do. In addition to some seasonal allergies. That was not fun. The heat and humidity alone, was brutal. Throw in a constant headache and aching body, and stuffy head...

I sound like one of the Grumpy Old Men...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the worst!!!

one thing about being miserable...
you’ll never ever ever forget that trip

- - - Updated - - -

2 medals maybe, was with 4 females to boot

I’m sure they’re the reason he survived... lots of nurturing, chicken soup, general pampering/spoiling

- - - Updated - - -

I bet all the pics of you look like the age app was employed

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
the worst!!!

one thing about being miserable...
you’ll never ever ever forget that trip

- - - Updated - - -

I’m sure they’re the reason he survived... lots of nurturing, chicken soup, general pampering/spoiling

- - - Updated - - -

I bet all the pics of you look like the age app was employed

You're kidding, right? The best thing they did, was every once in a while, they all went and did something, and left me to just rest. MU.jpg

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as the Pioneer Village goes, in todays world, a lot of that kind of stuff is getting harder and harder to justify its existence. For a couple of reasons 1. The funding to keep something like it going, is fading away because the generation that help finance things like that are dying off. 2. Most of the younger generations are simply not interested in seeing things like that anymore. Does it suck, yes it does. With most things from the past it isn't a big crowd or interest drawer anymore. And as far as the State Fair goes, they pretty much need to run it like a business because the funding is more than likely limited. The more people and money they can draw in this year, hopefully they can do bigger and better things next year. They say that they do have different free entertainment and food things this year. Will have to check it out to see if they are telling the truth. I did not attend the fair last year but have concert passes this year. I am sure by the end of the fair my "check liver" light will be on and shinning brightly. ;:;boozer;:;popcorn

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Check liver light ==== funny. Cant wait to pull that one on my brother.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75