ND State Fair--Boycott or support

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So with the ND State Fair starting up this weekend what are some of your thoughts of the management and master plan for the fairgrounds. Renae Korslien, who is the State Fair Manager, has been the face and voice on the forefront of eventually kicking or evicting the Ward County Historical Society "Pioneer Village" off the fairgrounds. Apparently it is the intentions that she wants to build some kind of center in the SW part of the fairgrounds. Not sure what kind of center!

So they have pretty much kicked out the curling club, gymnastics club and all hockey moved over to the Mesa Center. So here's my question...who is next. Supposedly next be removed will the "the barns" once the dust settles after removing "pioneer village".

It kind of strikes me that North Dakota is a agricultural state and the people are proud of ancestry history of how North Dakota was formed. The State Fair was a good opportunity for parents to take their kids over why eating a corndog or cheese curds and educate them on history. Then walk through the barns and show them where last nights steak, or the morning milk, eggs and bacon comes from. To me, the Fair Association/Board/Foundation is going int he wrong direction. I know this latest grievance with the Historical Society and moving them out toward Burlington has changed a lot of views of people in the Minot area. So for me...I would rather boycott the fair the year and possibly future years...until some preservation changes.

Just my .02¢

Happy fishing and keep those lines tight! Good luck to anglers in this weekends Governors Cup.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do not tolerate crowds, litter, carnival barkers, concerts, and people dressed for attention very well. The rides can be fun but expensive and waiting in lines is dumb.

So the judging barns (crafts, food, animal) are the only thing that ever interested me at a fair.

That said, I've never been to the ND state fair. No plans to attend, but hope they stay true to the state's roots a little longer for the kids.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do not tolerate crowds, litter, carnival barkers, concerts, and people dressed for attention very well. The rides can be fun but expensive and waiting in lines is dumb.

So the judging barns (crafts, food, animal) are the only thing that ever interested me at a fair.

That said, I've never been to the ND state fair. No plans to attend, but hope they stay true to the state's roots a little longer for the kids.

The lack of crowds is probably the reason they want to be rid of them for more profitable attractions...

- - - Updated - - -

I too hate when girls show ankle at the fair for attention

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
show ankle... ha ha

in Fargo there are 10-14 year old children (many from other countries for some reason) dressed like hookers

about makes me vomit

- - - Updated - - -

true wags - the barns generate little in revenue

everything is revenue driven these days

that didn’t seem the purpose of a State Fair back in the day, but I was probably naive about it then

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Like to watch the horse pulls but thats about it. The true meaning of horse power, awesome how those big boys can pull. My Dad had a pair when I was young so it kind of brings back some of my youth. Dad had one broke to ride and even had a saddle for Dixie and if you fell off you had time to think about it before you hit the ground. She lived to the ripe old age of 29, born and died in the same pasture and was never skinny, like riding a 55gal barrel.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I used to love going to the state fair as a kid. It just seems to get dirtier and dirtier every year though. Didn't make it last year and have no intentions on going this year. Only good thing there anymore is the fair food, but not worth it with the amount of sketchy people you have to deal with.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
If there is anything that will never be removed from the fair it is "the barns". My wife has been showing dairy cows up there for much longer than I have been around and I do enjoy going up there for that, but we rarely leave the NW corner of the fairgrounds because I too dislike crowds.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hate crowds, and normally never go, but I'ma get in, & get out so I can see Weezer.

onpoint!

Established Member
don't think i care enough about the scandal to officially 'boycott' the fair, but i'm not a fair-fan so don't plan on going (not a country fan, either, so the entertainment usually sucks). i do like that Ye Old hotdog shop, but prolly not enough to put up with the rest of the circus (people, cars, parking, expense, blah blah).
they could've handled the HistSoc thing better, but boycotting as a result is pretty drastic. they had their day in court.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never gone to the State Fair, so my comments are based on the RRV Fair and should be taken with that priviso. Now then....I like the "Barns", rabbits, chickens, the ribbon competitions of all types, and the geology "search through sand" exhibits. If they got rid of those I would not even consider attending the event. I say let the free market do it's thing. If they remove things that people like, they will lose money. Maybe instead of boycotts, a simple phone call or email to this lady expressing your thoughts might go a bit farther in the efforts to keep what you like about the fair around. If not, don't go and let your pocketbook do the talking for you. No need to make some gradios political movement out of it. Leave that to the Democrats.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have not attended the state fair in close to 20 years. Too busy haying and working to take it in. Used to always go to the rodeo and enduro race, never been one for concerts. While I didn't agree with them moving the pioneer village it wouldn't keep me away. If they got rid of the livestock barns I'd certainly boycott it for good. The food is the one thing I miss, but I don't miss it that much to pay to get in just to overpay to eat. Guess I'm a cheapskate.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in the same boat as you NDBowman, your not a cheapskate, it gets more spendy to go the fair every year. I used to go all the time when I was kid, don't mind concerts but never get invited to go along with anyone, think I've seen 3 fair concerts in my life time so far in Minot. Once you hit 40, you don't care for the rides anymore, then it gets more about taking the kids for most people.
Walking through the commercial buildings seeing all the vendors, side attractions and etc. what I did the most.
People need to let the fair board know what they like about the fair grounds and what they'd like to see. For this year, there's 7 concerts, 2 Enduros and bull riding event that are the main draws. The Grandstand pass is $110 for 7 events add another 75 for the 2 rock concerts...
185.00 for all the grandstand shows, if you got 10 days off and nothing to do.
Think I need to get back into the Enduro racing scene......lol

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only go to the fair if someone offers me free tickets to a decent concert. I would have went to Weezer, but no free tix.....yet. Come to think of it, i don't think i've paid for a single concert in over a decade. Could have went to country fest last weekend for free, but catching eyes sounded better.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hate crowds, and normally never go, but I'ma get in, & get out so I can see Weezer.
cqblbd61be179023u0qg_400x400.jpeg

Weezy?

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wonder what the average age is on this forum.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62