Who drew ND Antelope tags this year?

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not mine apparently. The ND goat that I shot last year took 3 rounds from my 300 win. Hit him a little high the first shot, and he started walking. Second shot hit him right in the pumphouse and he kept walking. I put the third shot in his neck and he finally tipped. That was with 180 grain barnes ttsx.

Caliber was not the problem it was the all copper coolaid Barnes tsx that was the problem. The bullet is only good when it hits bones.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holes in lungs kill shit plain and simple a hole with a sharp pointy stick or or a hole with a 375 grain projectile going 3200 FPS both end with the same results... death. Throw the living dead in there and now we have a conundrum. Moral of the story don’t suck at marksmanship

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Holes in lungs kill shit plain and simple a hole with a sharp pointy stick or or a hole with a 375 grain projectile going 3200 FPS both end with the same results... death. Throw the living dead in there and now we have a conundrum. Moral of the story don’t suck at marksmanship

I have double lunged elk, deer, and coyotes with Barnes bullets they ain't that good! They were put in the boiler room. I would rather be on play edge of a bullet that has a thinner jacket as you use a Sierra gameking or nosler ballistic tip in the lungs animals don't go far. If you use a Barnes in the lungs it takes them along time to die because they pencil through and do very little damage.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have double lunged elk, deer, and coyotes with Barnes bullets they ain't that good! They were put in the boiler room. I would rather be on play edge of a bullet that has a thinner jacket as you use a Sierra gameking or nosler ballistic tip in the lungs animals don't go far. If you use a Barnes in the lungs it takes them along time to die because they pencil through and do very little damage.

i don’t use barns amax now eldx or eldm. Simple fix if shooting Barnes high shoulder and drt. It all comes back on knowledge and marksmanship. Smk and scenars have killed lots o shit but they are match bullets I am told

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i don’t use barns amax now eldx or eldm. Simple fix if shooting Barnes high shoulder and drt. It all comes back on knowledge and marksmanship. Smk and scenars have killed lots o shit but they are match bullets I am told

Why not use a accubond, partition, a frame or scirroco and ha bullet you can count on. I would rather hunt with a bullet that gives me 3/4 moa accuracy and great performance than a 1/4 minute with poor performance. If you go on a guided hunt many guides won't let you use amazes, elds, matchkings, or bergers because they belong at the Target range.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
The really dislike old saying , I sunk one in the boiler room and he went 100 yds. For many yrs I have shot all animals in the front shoulders and they drop right there. No blood trail to follow. The key is to find a bullet that holds up under bone. I have tried the Barnes bullets and they have never shot good for me. I know people will say thats all I shoot. Well good for you if they shoot good in your rifle. They dont in mine.

My point is good bullet vs shoulder and he is DRT

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not use a accubond, partition, a frame or scirroco and ha bullet you can count on. I would rather hunt with a bullet that gives me 3/4 moa accuracy and great performance than a 1/4 minute with poor performance. If you go on a guided hunt many guides won't let you use amazes, elds, matchkings, or bergers because they belong at the Target range.

only bullet i have ever had fail was the accubomb. 40 plus deer and goats and never had the amax or eldx or eldm fail

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
only bullet i have ever had fail was the accubomb. 40 plus deer and goats and never had the amax or eldx or eldm fail

Im a Hornady Interlock fan. Moose all the way down to Antelope and they have never failed me.

Coyotes get the V Max.

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I used to shoot Mule deer bucks with my 243 using nothing but the cheap Federal 100 grain soft points and they went right down.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an antelope tag by the way. Gonna put a broad head through one hopefully. Otherwise I will have to borrow a .50 cal I suppose

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think I am going to start bowhunting big game with target points. Sarcasm

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Put two holes in the lungs and the animals will die. It’s science

I tested Barnes tsxs and the old Barnes 30 years ago they pencil through lungs and animal runs off long ways and yes they are perfectly placed. Or they lay down and required follow up shots. I have dug more bullets out of critters than the average Joe as my father is a taxidermist and I have shot more things with hair on them then most. I have friends that guide all over the US and Canada and take their opinions of bullet choice seriously. Placement is first and bullet choice is close second. There has been many humans that have been shot through the lungs or have had punctured lungs and they are still living=full metal jackets save lives. I have shot thousands of prairie dogs with a 52 grain amax some pencil through some blow up. Amax is a poor bullet at least in 22 Cal as shot enough coyotes through the boiler room with them and they run off or bite and spin. You shoot them with a 50 grain vmax through lungs and game ovee

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've shot two with a 25-06 117grain that died pretty much immediately. One didn't even get up from his bed(fun little peek over the hill sneak). Hope to drop another one shortly.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
No Shit Sherlock! The amax can act like one though! So can a Sierra matchking.

Odd most say it’s to explosive and causes to much damage to meat. Every bullet could do that under the right set of circumstances.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why do people get so worked up over bullet choices? I’ve killed deer with vmax, interlocks, ballistics tips, accubombs, gamekings, prohunters, tsx, ttsx. The ttsx are my favorite. I’m also a big proponent of the high shoulder shot though. I like bang flops

- - - Updated - - -

E6B6E458-39E8-4234-A687-3C781269ACB7.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

F4B9AC1C-2C84-48D1-B668-E1CD739ED00F.jpg

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Odd most say it’s to explosive and causes to much damage to meat. Every bullet could do that under the right set of circumstances.

Yes sir. I have had boxes that blew up like ballistic tips or v maxes and others that seemed to have thick jackets and didn't open up.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77