Popped my cherry last night

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sao years ago we were in northern Canada and see this guy with a treble in his nose he was all fouled up, the story was they were fishing with 2 couples in the boat and had just told the wives what to do when you feel a bite on a crankbaits, set the hook, so one of the wives casts out and sets the hook in this poor man's nose and then sets the hook, pulled him overboard. Poor bastards stayed fucked up for the next 6 days until they went back to the States. Treble hook planted all three hooks in his nose, makes me tear up just to think about it

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had many a hook stuck in my hand. Just grab a pliers and yank it out.

Unless its in in an eyeball or something weird about the location it’s not a big deal.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had a "friend" who was casting a jitterbug bury it in the back of my head when he was casting . . .

Whack !!!!

This was I was about 16 years old.
Ahhhh the good old days.

Stobber

Twice for me, also involved in a few removals.

First one was on Whitefish Lake in ontario when I was 13, getting weeds off of my original floater when my uncles wind up caught my line and he buried that bad boy! Cut that hook off, back to the cabin, soaked it in ice water while I took a few shots of kesslers. Push through, snip barb, back it out. Back to fishing.

Second time I was fishing off of the railroad bridge and snagged a tree with my mepps spinner. I horesed on that bastard until it came flying out of the tree and hit me in the leg, hit hard enough that it hurt, but the lure was free. Found out later when I went home, my mom saw blood and the hook broke off in my leg. I told her to pull it out, but of course not, she had to take me to the ER. I did not want to be a wimp, but mother knows best. Of course as we are waiting in the lobby a kid a grad below me comes in with half of his calf muscle bitten clean off by a sow, of course blood and pig shit all over. I just looked at the tiny hook sticking out of my leg, then at her, she knew I was pissed.

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
Twice for me. One in the back of the neck easily removed with a hard yank of the pliers. Second one from my left eyelid. E.R. For that one. Both from foul hooked fish while spring steelhead fishing. From what I’ve read I’m never fishing with an x-rap they sound really dangerous!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh let's see.......multiple fingers, tricep, forearm, bottom of my foot, right ass cheek, fleshy part of my left hand (with hammer handle attached), right calf, and back of my head. All removed with pliers and a good yank. I might need to find a safer hobby, but probably won't.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
When pike flop around on shore.

hookInAnkle.jpg

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wear glasses, and when it's sunny, prescription sunglasses. The protection is welcome.

I did lose a pair of my dad's sunglasses once though probably 35 years ago, when I was retrieving a crankbait and a big spring pike struck. I actually saw it happen, adrenaline kicked in, and I set the hook so hard I yanked it right out of it's mouth. Lure flies right at my face. In my best Matrix Move, I turned my head and leaned back, and the lure plucked my dad's sunglasses right off my face. Over the side they went.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_20140531_124413_220.jpg
I was attempting to unhook a little slimer in the water cause I didn't want it in the boat and this is why they need to die.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
This tread makes me want to use barbless hooks.

Or....how about long nosed pliers to remove hooks instead of fingers. Seems like a no brainer. I am not part of the club, I use modern tools to unhook my fish. #$%^&>

★★★★★ Legendary Member
First timer experiencing getting a hook/barb buried in the hand. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, except for my buddy botching the first attempt at removal. Who else is a member of the club?

I joined the club when I was 6, buddy buried a hook in the back of my arm. Grandpa used pliers to push it through and cut it off, we were back fishing in 5 minutes.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or....how about long nosed pliers to remove hooks instead of fingers. Seems like a no brainer. I am not part of the club, I use modern tools to unhook my fish. #$%^&>

It generally happens when hand landing fish or when they are flopping around or when you have a hold of it and it flops out of your hand unexpectedly. Cranks and the above circumstances are especially hazardous.

Nmariner

Established Member
I wear glasses, and when it's sunny, prescription sunglasses. The protection is welcome.

I did lose a pair of my dad's sunglasses once though probably 35 years ago, when I was retrieving a crankbait and a big spring pike struck. I actually saw it happen, adrenaline kicked in, and I set the hook so hard I yanked it right out of it's mouth. Lure flies right at my face. In my best Matrix Move, I turned my head and leaned back, and the lure plucked my dad's sunglasses right off my face. Over the side they went.

Sunglasses are a must while fishing. I had always been to cheap by Oakleys, but finally bit the bullet. A week later I was fishing the tailrace and hooked into a paddlefish. After a decent fight I was working her towards the boat when all at once my 1/2 Oz jig let loose. Rod was loaded so the jig came flying back right into the middle of the lens. It barely left a scuff on the lens but left me with a black and blue eye.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71