Popped my cherry last night

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
First timer experiencing getting a hook/barb buried in the hand. It wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, except for my buddy botching the first attempt at removal. Who else is a member of the club?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a 2 time offender. Hand and leg. Also have removed hooks twice from buddies.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say in a "fleshy" place not that bad, arm, leg, palm/back of hand. First one went through the tip of my finger and i pushed it out the backside right behind the nail and clipped the barb with a side cutter (not awesome, but fishing was very, very good). Second one went straight into my thumb. Went to the ER thinking they would numb it and pull it or cut it out. NOPE they employed the trusty old string technique. Had I known that I would have kept drinking a bunch more beers and had someone else do it. They also botched the first attempt by not holding my thumb and hand down so when they yanked the string my whole hand, thumb, and hook went with!!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, just once though and it was my ex's mutt that did it to me when he hit my fishing pole as I was unhooking a walleye from a crankbait. Nothing like having a dog banging into the rod, a walleye sharing a hook on a crank that is now embedded in your right hand's middle finger. I had to be something of a contortionist to reach into my right front jeans pocket with my left hand to get the old leatherman out.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a hook embedded between my thumb and finger. I didn't give it much of a chance to hurt. I pushed it through and had my buddy cut it off in just a minute or two. No pain at all. Went right back to fishing. The more you think about it, the worse it hurts.

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a hammer-handle pike stick a treble hook on a crank into one of my fingers a couple of years back. Was a lot of fun when it would flop around in the net with my hand attached to it. Tried to pull it out myself with the leatherman was too big of a wuss to pull hard enough. ER got it out pretty quick.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a 2 time offender. Hand and leg. Also have removed hooks twice from buddies.

In both of my situations, I pulled the hook out with a pliers. The one in my leg did not want to come out on the first try....it made me realize just how tough our hide really is. With the buddies I employed the string technique and it worked well.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once in the leg, once in the finger. Leg I just pushed through and cut off myself. Finger took a shot of Lidocaine, push-through, cut-off, and a little neosporin for a couple days just to make sure no creepy-crawlys grew in my finger.

dschaible

Established Member
Buried one in my pointer finger about a month ago while cleaning weeds off a xrap on a loaded rod, chugged 8 beers in 10 minutes to dull the pain then had a buddy pop it out with the string technique.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve never been afflicted - respect the physics involved too much.

Two pet coons and a dog... not so lucky.

Not fun dealing with coon hook removal.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - I just doomed myself. Will update with gory pics in coming weeks.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
My little sis snagged me when she was about a year old. Dad had the bright idea of putting a hook on the Snoopy Pole despite my mama's better judgement. Sis likely would have been just dandy casting nothing but a bobber. But, no, dad had other ideas.

Our fault for standing behind her. Sis got good wind up, the hook, bobber tandem arcing behind her. Glanced off pop's nose and went behind my head.

That's when she put all of her umpf into the cast -- and burried the little hook right into my left earlobe.

It didn't hurt at all -- until she kept yanking and yanking to get whatever it was she'd stuck, unstuck.

Grandpa and dad did their best to first-aid it on shore, but after my wails and screams started rousing suspicion of the neighbors, they decided a quick trip to the ER was in order.

It wasn't until I started getting some weird looks in the waiting area that I realized in all the rush nobody had bothered to take the wriggling worm off the hook. Must have looked mighty funny to see a bright orange hook with a worm hanging from a kid's ear.

I still wish cell phones were around at that time. I'd have loved a pic of that.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
1980 something. my dad and i head to the very south side of devils in our little 15 footer with a 25 hp johnson. cousins and their dad in a similar boat. felt like a 30+ minute trip. get set up to start tossing spoons and cranks. first cast cousin sinks one into my other cousins head and ear. welp... that was fun. 30+ minute trip back to the town to the ER for them. we smiled and waved good bye.

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a hammer-handle pike stick a treble hook on a crank into one of my fingers a couple of years back. Was a lot of fun when it would flop around in the net with my hand attached to it. Tried to pull it out myself with the leatherman was too big of a wuss to pull hard enough. ER got it out pretty quick.

No trip to the ER, but this is how I landed a sharp treble hook from an x-rap into my finger while fishing Josephine years ago with my father-in-law. He had an old Eagle transducer, that would "beep" for every "fish" that it marked. He said it was comical up front in the boat as he looked back, the "beeping" seemed to censor my explicatives. Pushed the treble back through and was bleeding quite a bit, but fishing was good so we didn't want to quit. The FIL ripped the sleeve off his shirt for a makeshift band-aid and away we went to fill the livewell. I still have that shirtsleeve in my tackle box as a reminder of the incident and for good luck.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My fear has always been an eye or testicle getting hooked.
Ran one through the back side of a finger and up through the finger nail. Was horrific. But al better now

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Treble hook between thumb and pointy finger, 4# trashing northern on other end of plug. Dad tried to get hook out of my hand first. I am screaming get the fish off first. once that was done the swearing came to a slow crescendo. Barb pushed through and side cuttered off. Back to fishing after a quick dose of peroxide and antibiotic swab.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
Happened to me one time. I was going to hook a new crank bait on the end of my line. I had the lure in my hand and turned to put it onto my line. When I turned a hook caught the edge of the boat windshield where the glass meets the aluminum frame. My turning motion drove one of the other hooks into the palm of my hand. Some pulling and a pocket knife got the hook out of my hand and I was able to keep fishing. Once the wave of adrenaline wore off it hurt like hell. I’m much more careful while holding hooks now days.

The worst i saw was was on a double hook paddle fishing rig. One guy grabbed a snagged paddlefish and the angler grabbed the line between the fish and the second hook. Fish flopped and fell which drove the second hook DEEP in the palm of the guy’s hand who was holding the line. A trip to the ER was required to remove the hook. I’ll never forget the look of pain on that guy’s face or the sight of a giant treble hook buried in his hand!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
In both of my situations, I pulled the hook out with a pliers. The one in my leg did not want to come out on the first try....it made me realize just how tough our hide really is. With the buddies I employed the string technique and it worked well.

You may notice that I'm not sassing you at all, just in case I get one while in your boat this fall. I'm all TLC and empathy.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ve never been afflicted - respect the physics involved too much.

Two pet coons and a dog... not so lucky.

Not fun dealing with coon hook removal.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - I just doomed myself. Will update with gory pics in coming weeks.

Yes you did. I've never really hooked myself yet either, but fall fishing will hit in full swing here shortly. I guess I could post pics too.

The worst is when you're hooked, and so is the fish.

- - - Updated - - -

My fear has always been an eye or testicle getting hooked.
Ran one through the back side of a finger and up through the finger nail. Was horrific. But al better now

Getting a hook in any "ball" is bad. Eyeball, danglyball, whatever..

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had 2. Both times it was the bottom hook of a crawler harness. While holding the fish in my hand and it squirts out the top, putting the trailing hook in the side of my hand. Cut the line, cut the eye off the hook and push it thru.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80