Slip Bobbers

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had a heck of a time getting on a good walleye bite this year on Sakakawea. Have picked up a couple here and there, but nothing like last year was for me. Have come to a lot of places this year where I've actually marked fish (a miracle to have happen with my old Lowrance LCX-15MT) but after a few passes with different colored spinners, slow-death, etc, I just can't get anything to bite. Have never used slip bobbers, but am thinking of trying it the next chance that I get. What are some tips for slip bobber-ing walleye on Sak? I've got one rod set up right now with an oval-ish slip bobber, string/bead stop on 12lb PowerPro. Plan on using a ~2' fluoro leader with a size 6 gamakatsu. Any particular styles and sizes of hooks that should be used? Circle hooks? Skip a plain hook and use a jig?

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
I slip bobber many, many hours a year. My main setup from rod tip down:

-20lb power pro high vis yellow (heavy for timber on Devils). Not necessary for most other applications/lakes
-2 bobber stops (prevents slipping on the PP)
-stans slip bobber (got rid of thill gumballs) no need for bead and metal insert is nice
-1/4 oz tungsten weight with pointed end down (helps in deep water applications)
-barrel swivel
-14lb fireline crystal leader approx. 18 inches long
-#2 or #4 Gamagatsu octopus hook or 1/8 oz jig
-if running bare hook I run an 1/8 oz splitshot so all bobbers look identical and I can detect lite bites or fouled bait

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84