Shoreland'r Factory Bearings

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a new Lund last year and got to thinking about the bearings on the trailer. While Lund stamps their name on the trailer now, I'm sure it is a Shoreland'r. Can anyone speak to the quality of their factory bearings? I'm a Timken guy and thinking it must have come with bearings from Taiwan. Anyone know for sure?

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't have a boat or trailer but our enclosed trailers came with Chinese bearings and i had them switched out to Timken bearings right away.
Big Timken fan here.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
While I too am a big fan of Timken bearings, so long as you monitor the play and keep the chinese bearings lubed, I see no reason to just swap them out. It's not like they explosively fail. Wait and do it at your leisure during a routine repacking and seal replacement.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am on my third set of tires- -i dont know how many hard miles --- gravel, mud --- i use to drive mine back an forth from dl every weekend --- that thing has been everywhere --- just keep em greased they will run. When you buy those timkens take a picture of where it says they are made and post it on this thread.

What does wear out on the trailer is the wires in the trailer --- if you want to do anything - -- pull em and put some type of covering on them. Otherwise the mileage will wear through them and you will have shitty operating lights.

Is it a good trailer --- it works i will just put it that way --- its not on my list to buy again.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
While I too am a big fan of Timken bearings, so long as you monitor the play and keep the chinese bearings lubed, I see no reason to just swap them out. It's not like they explosively fail. Wait and do it at your leisure during a routine repacking and seal replacement.

All a guy has to do to become a fan of Timken bearings is replace one hub on the roadside West of Devils Lake on Hwy 19 at 11pm. Let the mosquitoes buzz and bite for an hour and you will quickly regret not putting quality bearing in your hubs.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
All a guy has to do to become a fan of Timken bearings is replace one hub on the roadside West of Devils Lake on Hwy 19 at 11pm. Let the mosquitoes buzz and bite for an hour and you will quickly regret not putting quality bearing in your hubs.
That sounds like something out of a horror movie scene, I'm a friggin mosquito magnet. Is it fall yet?

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As a bearing salesman of 7+ years for the largest industrial bearing supplier in the US. I have worked with almost every bearing company out there. Every bearing is made to the same specifications weather it is from the US or Taiwan. These bearings are randomly tested off of the assembly line to make sure they stay in spec. Most bearings will say assembled in the US which means most of the components came from overseas. This goes for all of the biggest bearing manufacturers. If you take care of them they will last. Remember that TOO MUCH GREASE IS JUST AS BAD AS NOT ENOUGH. Ask your trailer guy exactly how often and how much you should grease them. Or get online and call your favorite bearing manufacturer 800 number and give them the part number and they will tell you exactly what to do.

Bearings are the most faked item on the internet. They are expensive and tons of people are trying to make a quick buck by forgery. For those of you that are taking your trailers in to get a bearing change it is not a terrible idea to just ask where they are getting their bearings. Most of them are probably getting them from a distributor like who I work for but if they say the internet that is a huge red flag and should be addressed. Just because you see an orange and black box on the shop shelf does not mean there is a Timken inside. Trust me we have done it online just to see and there was a foreign brand inside. Bearings can also be contaminated before they leave the box. I could talk about this all day but i am just giving you guys some information so you can approach this from the right direction.

- - - Updated - - -

And for the record I am not knocking Timken...one of the best around. But 99.9% of the time a bearing failure is either the bearing was in the wrong application or that preventative maintenance was lacking or wrong.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Chinese/Taiwan ones taken out of our enclosed trailers that were new, had so much play in them we couldn't believe they stayed together. So someone must have been sleeping on the assembly line doing the checking of tolerences.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had two shoreland'r trailers with lots of miles on them and no bearing issues whatsoever.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a shorelander trailer once, damn tongue broke, never again!

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
After replacing the bearings and races today, I can now confirm that the bearings installed at the factory, by Shoreland'r, are indeed stamped with CHINA.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any issues...were they showing unusual wear and tear...anything out of the ordinary? I've got a 2019 Shoreland'r that my Lund came on as well...thanks man!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^Good deal...think I may put new tires on my trailer this year. Only 2 years old but I probably have about 8,000 miles on the tires. Gotta do more research before I buy the replacement tires for the trailer.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any issues...were they showing unusual wear and tear...anything out of the ordinary? I've got a 2019 Shoreland'r that my Lund came on as well...thanks man!

They looked fine, normal wear. My rig is a 2019, bought in 2018, I'm sure I had 5k to 7k miles on them.

They did not grease the spindle before they placed the hub, rear bearing on both sides didn't want to come off, had to pull it through the seal. A few light taps of encouragement and it broke loose, typical assembly line quality.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't had any hub issues, but am on my 3 set of tires on the boat trailer. Its a tandem thankfully as last summer mrs johnr ran the last 30 miles to McKenzie bay on the back tire, the front one was just a ring around the rim, but surprisingly no rim damage.

Grease the hubs in the spring, and away we go

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't had any hub issues, but am on my 3 set of tires on the boat trailer. Its a tandem thankfully as last summer mrs johnr ran the last 30 miles to McKenzie bay on the back tire, the front one was just a ring around the rim, but surprisingly no rim damage.

Grease the hubs in the spring, and away we go
I grease mine in the fall after I’m done with the boat for the winter to push any water out so it doesn’t sit all winter with any water in the hub. Will usually push out a little water every time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 164
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76