ND doesn't need any stupid out of state boat inspections

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was on the Target Walleye email today.

MT's crackin' down on invasives

They've checked more than 52K rigs this season and found/stopped 13 with zebra or quagga mussels from droppin' in.

I know I know it would not of totally stopped the spread of ANS but it would of helped slow it way down. I say would of because it is too late now. I am sure there is shit in DL and Sak already. They just have not found it yet.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
WY does it so we need to too. If they found 13 in MT they would find even more at our eastern borders

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why should we allow that stuff in here? Regardless if it's a ND boat or out of state boat, the rig should be checked before it gets wet in ND.
The, "it's may already be here" or "it'll eventually get here anyways" attitude is not the way to protect our resources for us or our progeny.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's funny is all these "experts" can't except the fact that these things are indeed transported by birds and other wildlife. Wonder why government agencies are so head strong to blame everything on human activity. It's like they can't believe anything can happen without a human being involved!

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's funny is all these "experts" can't except the fact that these things are indeed transported by birds and other wildlife. Wonder why government agencies are so head strong to blame everything on human activity. It's like they can't believe anything can happen without a human being involved!

Here's my point of view on it.

They "can" be spread by birds and other wildlife. But they are FOR SURE spread by irresponsible boaters who don't clean the shit off their boats and then come to my state. Inspect and fine the shit out of anyone who has them on their boats!

Way to go MT!!!

Last edited:

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member

Like gonefshn said, birds can transport. But there’s not much we can do about that. We can do something about the human caused transport. Interesting excerpt from a journal article I found:

Survival was three times higher on human vectors and the number of larvae attached to human vectors was over double of that on the ducks. However, our findings demonstrate that natural vectors, like ducks, can contribute to the transport of zebra mussel larvae at a local scale. Nevertheless, since vectors related to human activity presented a higher potential for transport, it is imperative to continue campaigns to raise the awareness of anglers and boaters as well as continue the implementation of legislation to reduce the risk of zebra mussel dispersal.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's my point of view on it.

They "can" be spread by birds and other wildlife. But they are FOR SURE spread by irresponsible boaters who don't clean the shit off their boats and then come to my state. Inspect and fine the shit out of anyone who has them on their boats!

Way to go MT!!!

I agree.

The mentality that "it's gonna happen anyways" is a no-go, in my book. Why wipe your butt, or make your bed? Why do anything, we're all gonna die anyhow..

Nah, we gotta do what we can, to stop or slow it down. I enjoy fishing way too much, to just say "oh well, I guess I'll start rock polishing instead".

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
zeebs were the best thing that ever happened to great lakes fishing.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So you guys are telling me the entire Missouri River system from Lake Oahe to Canyon Ferry Lake would have eventually been infected with zebra mussels because of ducks? I have a feeling there are not many ducks that fly from MN to MT on any migration route. The entire Missouri River system has now been compromised with zebra mussels because a boat brought them to Canyon Ferry Lake. Inspections could have prevented this and now we are all going to pay for this mistake....

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start stocking Round Goby in the lakes that are infecting with zebra mussels, that should help fix the problem.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you guys are telling me the entire Missouri River system from Lake Oahe to Canyon Ferry Lake would have eventually been infected with zebra mussels because of ducks? I have a feeling there are not many ducks that fly from MN to MT on any migration route. The entire Missouri River system has now been compromised with zebra mussels because a boat brought them to Canyon Ferry Lake. Inspections could have prevented this and now we are all going to pay for this mistake....
Ducks, geese, gulls, shore birds, turtles, muskrats, beavers, basically anything that travels from one water body to the next is a possible carrier. You can have the woe is me view or just deal with it ago about your business. There's no point in getting wound up over it if you ask me. They will eventually be every where and are not the ecological disaster most "experts" make them out to be.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wipe my boat so the sparkles sparkle more;)

- - - Updated - - -

I wipe my butt for the same reason

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ducks, geese, gulls, shore birds, turtles, muskrats, beavers, basically anything that travels from one water body to the next is a possible carrier. You can have the woe is me view or just deal with it ago about your business. There's no point in getting wound up over it if you ask me. They will eventually be every where and are not the ecological disaster most "experts" make them out to be.

Your telling me that turtles are going to spread zebras mussels across the country?Birds are the only animals that can spread these invasive species over long distance and they rarely cross flyways.

Why eat healthy we are all going to die one day anyways? I don’t know maybe so we can live longer.......

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74