Evinrude Issues

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there anyone in the Bis/Man area that works on old Evinrudes? Had some weird issues yesterday that I have never had happen to me. Up until yesterday she’s pretty much ran like a top. Was lucky to get back to the dock with my 2yo boy, kind of a cruddy feeling.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try Russ at Mandan Boatworks. He helped me out last year with my old (1984) Evinrude 90 hp. Was very knowledgeable about older Evinrudes and Johnsons.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you don't mind a bit of a drive, Carey at 6 mile corner is very good.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there anyone in the Bis/Man area that works on old Evinrudes? Had some weird issues yesterday that I have never had happen to me. Up until yesterday she’s pretty much ran like a top. Was lucky to get back to the dock with my 2yo boy, kind of a cruddy feeling.
What's the issues? Older OMC's are pretty easy to work on.

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the issues? Older OMC's are pretty easy to work on.

Well, the necessary background information goes like this: I bought the 1980 Lund with the 1979 75hp Evinrude from my in-laws last year. Not really any issues with it besides the starter needing to be replaced and a bilge pump that went out mid-summer. Nothing too bad. Stored it inside all winter after replacing fluid in lower unit. Replaced the air intake gasket this spring as it was starting to fall apart. Replaced bearings, seals, and races on the trailer this spring. There is no power tilt or trim with the motor. To trailer it, you must tilt the motor up by manually lifting up on the lower unit, then fold down two “legs” onto the transom bracket. These legs each sit on a tab on either side of the transom bracket. The in-laws have a place on the lake, and they never really fished anywhere else, so they never depended on those tabs & legs much – didn’t need to.

Have had the boat out about a half-dozen times this year so far, no issues up until this weekend. Pulled the boat out of the garage Saturday morning, got all loaded up and me and kiddo #1 set out for Hazen bay, a short 15 mile drive for me. I stopped at one of the two gas stations in Hazen to fill up with premium unleaded. I usually stop at the other gas station, but this one was just a little bit closer and I really needed to get going. Filled gas & mixed proper oil ratio into then, then headed out. When we got to the ramp, I walked back to put the plug into the boat just before backing down and offloading. I noticed that the motor wasn’t tilted up anymore, and that one of the two legs that holds the motor tilted up was broken off, and that the tab for the leg on the other side of the transom bracket was broken off. What the crap….I wasn’t driving like a bat out of hell, and didn’t come across any other bumps that were out of the ordinary in my drive…must have just been “that time” for the ol’ girl to give it up after 40 years of service. I looked it over pretty good, and everything else seemed fine with the motor, so I offloaded the boat and loaded up the kiddo.

We took off and everything ran fine for about ½ mile into the trip. At nearly WOT, the motor started to surge as if one of my gas tanks were near empty. I had filled both of the tanks that morning, so I knew that wasn’t the issue. The primer bulb was still hard, so I figured maybe she just needed to idle and warm up a bit more, being the cold-blooded beast she is. Let it warm up, and we took off a couple of minutes later. No problems. Got to the spot I wanted to fish ~ 3miles away and fished for maybe 3-4 hours. It got time to drop the boy back off at the dock with mama, so I fired up the motor. Let it idle for a bit, then went to kick ‘er down. Same thing, went maybe ½ mile then it starts surging again. Put it into neutral, and it died. Started it back up, and put it in gear. It ran for a couple hundred yards, then bogged way down and almost died. I put it in neutral, it ran a few more seconds, then died again. I lifted the warm-up lever by the throttle controls and started it up. It revved up just like it should, and I let it run for a little bit. Backed down on the warm-up lever, and sometimes it would die, sometimes it wouldn’t. It finally got to the point where it wouldn’t start. It would crank, but not start. I checked and re-checked the spark plug wires and everything seemed fine there. Checked the fuel filter and that seemed fine, nothing plugged up in it. Sat there scratching my head for a bit trying not to teach my son some new words. Turned the key over, it started, and I was able to run about half-throttle all the way back to the dock.

Got home, parked it in the driveway, and noticed some gas/oil leaking out from somewhere under the powerhead, but above the lower unit/shaft. This is new, not sure what might have happened here, but something changed when the motor slammed down after the “tilt legs” broke. Have done some looking, and I think it’ll be next to impossible to find a new transom bracket. Have gone back and forth in my head in the past about running a transom saver, and have done lots of reading about the subject. What I found was all inconclusive, and I had the tilt legs, so that’s all I ran with. There is now a transom saver coming to my door in the next day or two. I know, I know….I should have been running a transom saver from the get-go in order to prevent this mishap. Hard learning experience so far, but it's one I won’t soon forget. I’ll be replacing the spark plugs this week just in case this solves part of the issue. I replaced them last year, but not yet this year. I know this isn't probably the full solution, but it sure can't hurt anything for a couple bucks and a few minutes of my time.

Last edited:

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the tanks are old check the pick up tube inside the tank. it might be deteriorated. Happened to me once.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weak fuel pump or your sucking air. Check all the fittings at the motor and see if they are loose. My motor was doing the same thing and that's what it was. I ended up replacing mine.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I had 6 gallon tanks the cork gasket around the tank cap deteriorated and the cork plugged the air relief, so the fuel pump couldn't pull as much fuel as was needed at WOT. Cleaned the cork out and replaced the gaskets and no more problem.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had similar behavior on a 35 Merc.... eventually found that the rubber coating on the fuel pump diaphragm had disintegrated (maybe ethanol effed me there before I knew better). Replaced the fuel pump diaphragm and it ran like a top.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got home, parked it in the driveway, and noticed some gas/oil leaking out from somewhere under the powerhead, but above the lower unit/shaft. This is new, not sure what might have happened here, but something changed when the motor slammed down after the “tilt legs” broke. Have done some looking, and I think it’ll be next to impossible to find a new transom bracket. Have gone back and forth in my head in the past about running a transom saver, and have done lots of reading about the subject. What I found was all inconclusive, and I had the tilt legs, so that’s all I ran with. There is now a transom saver coming to my door in the next day or two. I know, I know….I should have been running a transom saver from the get-go in order to prevent this mishap. Hard learning experience so far, but it's one I won’t soon forget. I’ll be replacing the spark plugs this week just in case this solves part of the issue. I replaced them last year, but not yet this year. I know this isn't probably the full solution, but it sure can't hurt anything for a couple bucks and a few minutes of my time.
That would be the first thing I would try to figure out. Might have cracked something that is causing a fuel leak. Do you run sea foam or any other fuel additive? Might have some gum in the carbs that could use a good cleaning too.

You're right, finding that bracket might be an issue, I'm assuming it's cast aluminum. Maybe check some with some salvage yard or junk dealers.

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I called Boat Works this morning and left a message, but no call back all day - must be pretty busy, I’ll try again tomorrow just to chat about it. Tonight I wiggled the gas supply line to the filter/pump and saw some bubbles come out, so I replaced the cable-tie clamps on the pump inlet and outlet tonight with proper stainless hose clamps. Thought I had some spare spark plugs in the boat but I guess not. Will pick some up tomorrow and get them put in. Maybe go for a test run one evening his week. Will keep you all updated. Where is the 6 Mile shop located?

Last edited:

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Six mile is at the turnoff for garrison on highway 83

- - - Updated - - -

I should also add that i believe his turnaround time is pretty quick

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve found most of the replacement parts that are needed to fix up the motor, but can’t find this part. Does anyone know what this part would be called, or even possibly have a part number? The motor is a 1979 Evinrude 75HP, model 75943R. I’ve found some parts diagrams with every number except this one called out.

- - - Updated - - -

7BE668E0-3B16-4DBF-8EAD-BF04D9D4ED8C.jpg

Attachments

F2C322A4-2E7F-4A43-862B-6AEAC5B889A2.jpg

nytebyte

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its called a swivel bracket. Part should be easy to find at e-bay but might be hard to find new. Check some of the used parts dealers. Need the year and model of the motor. Or stern bracket-not sure what is circled.

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve measured the transom to be 20” deep, and the swivel bracket to be 15” long. Which swivel bracket is needed, the 15” or the 20”? Are they specifying the length of the bracket or the length of the transom needed for the bracket?? I’m very new to boats and extremely new to repairing them :;:huh:;:huh

Last edited:

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a lot of people do, but those tabs are not for holding the engine up while traveling. More for working on it or when launching the boat or pulling it out of the water. When you get it fixed use a transom saver. If you put any gas with ethanol in there you may be having problems with older lines deteriorating. Sounds like a fuel supply issue, but yeah, the leaking fluids thing is kind of strange.

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may have one on a motor I bought for the lower unit

PM Sent, Lou

- - - Updated - - -

I know a lot of people do, but those tabs are not for holding the engine up while traveling. More for working on it or when launching the boat or pulling it out of the water. When you get it fixed use a transom saver. If you put any gas with ethanol in there you may be having problems with older lines deteriorating. Sounds like a fuel supply issue, but yeah, the leaking fluids thing is kind of strange.

Yeah, I've learned that they're not meant for trailering. I've got the transom saver now and am just looking to find replacement parts for the ones that broke. After I get the new plugs put in and get the transom saver base installed, I'll take it out for a test run - hopefully tomorrow night or Saturday sometime.

Does anyone know which swivel bracket I would need for a 20" transom? Here are the options from marineengine.com http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1979&hp=75&model=75943R

I'm guessing I'll need the swivel bracket from the "Exhaust Housing - 20 Transom" parts breakdown, but that part isn't called out in the descriptions & pricing. If only I could find a part number!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 92
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 60