Squirrel season extended

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Just saw in the new small game proclamation that the squirrel season was extended to February 29. I know very few hunt them but now us folks that chase rabbits after bird seasons close can bag squirrels too.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did some rabbit hunting in February with my son. It was a lot of fun flushing them out of their rabbit holes in the snow. Taste really good too.

I'm kind of surprised that it isn't just open year around. I don't think it would affect the population of squirrels in ND if it were because nobody hunts them.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Yep, cottontail is real good, with wild rabbits just make sure to always clean with gloves on and check the liver for spots. It’s not common but they can carry tulermia.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
cotton tails are excellent. My grandma would bone them out and cook them and tell people they were pheasant and they never new the difference

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
part them out like a chicken, batter and fry them with onions, then bake covered until tender

very good

if they (and squirrels) didn't have hair to deal with I might pursue them more often. not sure which hairs stick to the meat worse ;:;banghead

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
This season extension into February is insane! What were they thinking?! By allowing us to hunt squirrels during the rut, it makes them much more vulnerable and the trophy squirrels won't have a chance to mature!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would poo-poo squirrel hunting, too, however it's gotten HUGE in Minnesota, mostly thanks to the growing Hmong community. They hunt the dickens out of those buggers. We might get a little tourism jump during some odd months if the word gets out on this. At least, if there really are huntable numbers of squirrels around these here parts. Other than major metros, I rarely stumble on squirrels hunting. Odd-balls here and there around farmsteads, but even the woods I hunt deer in seem largely devoid of squirrels (especially the big gray ones that I'm sure are more appealing than the tiny red ones).

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trophy Squirrel hunting..........$500 per week. $100 trophy fee for squirrels scoring more than an 8 inch tail. Call guywhofishes at 1-800-squrlls.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I forgot to mention that squirrel baiting and guide services are extra. Does that help..guywhowhisperstosquirrels??

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
I see fox squirrels every once and a while and shoot one when I get a chance. Shelter belts along corn fields is where i see them the most.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Out here we have Aberts squirrels. If you take two of them and a cottontail and cook them up in a crockpot with some veggies you'll have some excellent eating. I've eaten wild game all my life and that's some of the best I've ever had.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
what are the laws in ND for shooting small game animals like squirrels that are in the act of ruining your property?

IndigenousWalleye78

Honored Member
what are the laws in ND for shooting small game animals like squirrels that are in the act of ruining your property?

I love nature. Always have. Until they start ruining my shit, then they are dispatched with extreme prejudice.

- - - Updated - - -

You guys eat the rabbits? Didn’t know anyone actually hunted them.

We're called rabbit-chokers up in Turtle Mountains. My Dads family long ago and our family had a steady diet of them growing up.

Reminds me of a joke. How many Chippewas does it take to make chocolate chip cookies? Two. One to stir the batter and one to squeeze the rabbit.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76