Squirrel season extended

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
You mean there actually is a season on squirrels?
It’s more of a suggestion really

- - - Updated - - -

F347F8B7-D351-4F65-9754-FA1FE178D9D0.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Relatives of a friend had some woods with an oxbow of some little creek I can't remember the name of. The woods had a ton of squirrels, we shot a bunch of them, sure was fun! I didn't ever eat any of them though.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Growing up in MO as a young hunter we ate gray squirrels often. Didn't like the fox squirrels we find mostly in ND and all over MO. Seek the tender grays...Soak in milk/water/salt. Drain and pressure cook until tender. Coat in egg, milk, peppered flour and fry med high heat in 1/4 inch oil on cast iron. Use pressure cooker drippings and make a side of white gravy. It can be as good as any wild game anywhere. High in cholesterol though. go figure... Skin them out while still warm. Hair not such an issue then.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You'd think with all of the technology we've got that does stupid worthless shit, that some genius would've come up with some sort of "hair-magnet" that'd get hair off of carcasses and the big pay-off, pet hair out of everything.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Here is another method for skinning squirrels if you are looking for one.

Lay the squirrel out on its belly down and make an incision on the back skin, with the cut being from side to side (not lengthwise like the squirrels body).
Insert your fingers from each hand into the incision you just made.
Grab onto the skin on each side and pull your hands apart. This pulls the skin out to both ends of the squirrel.
You should be able to easily pull the skin off of both legs and up to the base of the head and the base of the tail.
At this point it helps to have a helper to hold the other end of the squirrel while you sever the legs, tail and head. Working on one end first and then have your partner hold the just severed end and you to then do the cutting at the other end.
Then have your partner hold the rear legs with the belly side up with the head end pointing down.
Take your knife and open up the belly/chest by cutting between the rear legs and extending your cut up through a portion of the breast bone (sternum).
Scrape/pull the internal organs etc out.
You and your buddy can do a squirrel in less in a minute and you will have little to no hairs on the carcass.
Usually solely in the area of your initial incision. And if you are careful most times there will be none there.

Something my Dad taught me years ago. I still remember going squirrel hunting with him when I was 5 or 6.
Some of the most enjoyable times spent with him in the woods.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

I use the "Sarge" approach - it's dramatically lowered the hair issue.

- - - Updated - - -

I also wet the squirrel down too.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
love to hunt rabbits in late winter and the only way to do that is with a .22 you only get one chance. like deer hunting only small. shotgun is easy but hate eating pellets beside what fun is that.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
love to hunt rabbits in late winter and the only way to do that is with a .22 you only get one chance. like deer hunting only small. shotgun is easy but hate eating pellets beside what fun is that.

Ha ha ha... Our group used to have some interesting bunny hunts back in the day :;:smokin

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
gotta say. he's a bit too much on the knife. Small sharp hatchet takes the feet off one quick chop per. Warm flesh... skin comes off easily. Like his method... definitely works but I cut slit at neck and strip down. Feet already off and head cut off last. put foot on head for leverage if you need to

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76