Who’s ready for trapping?

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
I havn’t trapped the last two years but I’ll be back at it this year. I’ll be making mostly coyote and raccoon sets, as well as some weasel boxes. Going to go after a badger or two this year as well, anyone else getting excited to catch some fur?

Last edited:

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
I may set a few for coyotes but not planning a long line.
What part of the state you trapping?

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have trapped 5 coons out of the farmyard on the land I can hunt and thought I got the family and last night a text there is another sitting on her deck staring at her, so back up tomorrow and set a few more dogproof traps and hopefully take care of the problem for good. I will most likely set some snares for yotes and just to many coons on my cameras for deer so may work on lowering that population to within reason. I am considering some actual foothold traps for yotes but don't own any yet and trying to decide what kind to by, there is a lot to choose from. Another learning experience to try. dukgnfsn

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have trapped 5 coons out of the farmyard on the land I can hunt and thought I got the family and last night a text there is another sitting on her deck staring at her, so back up tomorrow and set a few more dogproof traps and hopefully take care of the problem for good. I will most likely set some snares for yotes and just to many coons on my cameras for deer so may work on lowering that population to within reason. I am considering some actual foothold traps for yotes but don't own any yet and trying to decide what kind to by, there is a lot to choose from. Another learning experience to try. dukgnfsn

Fully modified Bridger #3 dogless are hard to beat for the money.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks JMF, new to the trapping game and will probably pick a few of those up and give it a go. I have got a few with the snares in the past and I know they are out there so try a different method.

Deep Forks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently got into trapping last year as well and really enjoy it. Gonna hit it even harder this year but a good number of the properties I have permission to trap I can't start trapping til after deer season. Which is fine, the pelts will be in good shape then but dealing with frozen ground isn't fun. I just ordered 10 pounds of flake wax, gonna try to make some waxed dirt this year. I've never done it, any of you guys ever make waxed dirt? Any tips or pointers?

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
The best coyote trap I've used is the #3 Montgomery dogless, if you can find them buy them you won't be disappointed, but those Bridger's are great too!

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
I may set a few for coyotes but not planning a long line.
What part of the state you trapping?
I’m in SE part of the state, I don’t run a long line either. I won’t have any snares out but probably a half dozen coyotes sets, a couple coon and badger sets around the farm yard and a few weasel boxes. Used milk jugs for a while but seems like people have more success with the boxes so I’m going to build a few.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
unfortunately I have to take a few more of these guys out because they found the yard and compost pile and not going anywhere. Wish it was later in the year when they were worth something, I think another young family group again, this is the second group I am working on. At least I have figured out how get these guys, wish coyotes were this easy. coons.jpgThis is the second group in a couple weeks, a lot of them up there and will work on lowering population this year when can get something for them

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate to be a negative Nancy, but those racoons are most likely worth as much now as they are going to be this fall/winter.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nancy,. I think you're right.
How you been man??

Never made waxed dirt but know guys that do and really like using it.

Deep Forks

Founding Member
Founding Member
A waterproof like dirt you use to bed and cover your trap when there's frozen ground or upcoming freezing conditions. Theory is it won't let your trap freeze down and not fire when a critter steps on it.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
WTH is waxed dirt?

The easy way to make wax dirt that I have found is, pull the dirt off of pocket gopher mounds. Spread it out on a sheet of plywood a inch or two thick. I wait a day or two so the dirt is good and dry. Then take the wax, I shred it in a cheese shreder and sprinkle it on top of the dirt. I like to do it when its real warm outside. As the wax is melting stir it up with a hoe or rack to get it good and mixed up. Then I repeat the. Then store the dirt in 5 gallon buckets with lids and keep in a cool area like a basement.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The easy way to make wax dirt that I have found is, pull the dirt off of pocket gopher mounds. Spread it out on a sheet of plywood a inch or two thick. I wait a day or two so the dirt is good and dry. Then take the wax, I shred it in a cheese shreder and sprinkle it on top of the dirt. I like to do it when its real warm outside. As the wax is melting stir it up with a hoe or rack to get it good and mixed up. Then I repeat the. Then store the dirt in 5 gallon buckets with lids and keep in a cool area like a basement.

The easier easy way is with a concrete mixer and a weed burner, also use granulated wax, it doesn't cost much more than the blocks.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting, I guess I've been out of the trapping loop long enough to where I'd just never heard of waxing the dirt.

Sounds like a nifty little trick to defeat the early freeze/thaw conditions in Nov.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Anyone setting steel yet? Been getting gear ready this week, a bit early for coon but coyotes should be good pretty soon.

Deep Forks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up a decent male coon on coyote dirt hole set the other day, he looked real good to me so I called the local fur buyer and he said a touch to early for coons yet. So ya, you’re spot on FishFinder. Just ordered a couple saber tooth drags online, thinking of trying them once the ground gets super frozen instead of trying to drive earth anchors in... anyone have good or bad stories about drags? For what it’s worth, generally where I set there’s pretty heavy cover nearby, I definitely won’t be using them in the middle of a harvested bean field.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Came across a road kill fox tonight, was hit too bad to keep but fur looked pretty decent.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76